new idea

bat

Reaction score
:litebulb:  hmmmm this might come in handy.  I have been working on getting this to work and it seemed to do ok!  If you are using the phone line connection and it will work for any connection I suppose, on the female connection plug in a telephone line splitter(make sure you get a good connection), run a short telephone wire out of your enclosure, plug in a connecter, run up to a 25 ft. ext. line, hook on a second camera to get different angles of a deer when taking pictures.  Sometime one angle will not show the antlers but with two angles you should be getting two shots that would give you better results.  You would only need to put a camera in a small container without an additional pir.  I have not tried this all the way with two on at the same time but I have tried to see if it would work with a 25 ft. cord and it does with just one camera.  The other benefit to this is you could leave the film out of the other camera and get an aux. flash if you want more flash for the distance deer.  I think they will be very close to flashing at the same time, I have not proven this yet.  Will do so when I use up my film in the camera I have on site now.  IMPORTANT YOU WILL HAVE TO CONNECT ANOTHER WIRE TO SPLIT THE SIGNAL TO THE PHONE LINE FROM THE SWITCH.  I JUST SOLDERED IN ANOTHER WIRE TO THE EXISTING SIGNAL WIRE AND SOLDER IT TO THE THIRD WIRE ON THE FEMALE PHONE WIRE.  THESES MUST MATCH UP FOR IT TO WORK.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Another nifty way to do the same thing without wires is to have an optical "slave" sensor - the kinds used to trigger remote flashes - only use it to trigger a second cam (or third or fourth....).

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
That's a neat idea, having 2 pix's of the same animal, I may try this sometime

Thanx

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
Hey Tinhorn, I tried this setup this morning and it will work ''somewhat''.  I did get it to flash a couple of times with both cameras hooked up.  I didn't have a really new splitter for my telephone line connection so it wasn't consistent, that's why I say ''somewhat'' above.  It did have a different delay on flashing for the two different cameras, about a 1/3-1/2 of a second from the first the second would flash.  This I think is due to the resistance in the length of the longer wire...probably.  you would know more about that stuff than I.  But that brought up something interesting.  If you are using long wires between the camera and the DPDT Switch and your relay connection this would make the camera fire later than a shorter wire.  This could cause some of the missed heads shots on some of our pictures.  Make any sense?

Archilochus

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the different shutter timing was due to variations in the components used in each of the individual cams involved.
I've triggered cams with well over 25 feet of wire with no noticable shutter delay added - the resistance of a piece of wire this short is VERY small compared to the resistances internal to the cam itself.

Archilochus

bat

Reaction score
Thanks Arch, what I can try is switch the two cameras to the different positions one with the 25 foot and the other inside the enclosure then reverse them to see what that does.  Anyway we could still use this if we wanted two different views say of a ''big ole Buck at his scrape wow!''  Gotta wait till I fix my other camera now, already loading one of them back up with film.

T

the hairless one

neat idea. You could just have two separate cams doing the same thing and then if someone stole one you would hopefully have the culprit on film.

rick

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of this setup? Apparently I've been away from the boards too long and have been missing out!

iowabucks

Reaction score
Hey guys, Looks like a great idea. Wouldn't mind trying it myself sometime. Just wanted to throw my
in here about your 25 foot wire between both cameras. I have an older Trailtimer unit. TT-500. It has the infared sensor and the camera in two separate units. The camera is left out in the elements, and as a result they always end up getting very loud advancing film after a few years. It's about 7 years old and still works great. Both units are connected by a wiring harness. What i am getting at here is the cord between the IR unit and the camera has ended up being a snack for a squirrel or two over the years. As a result, i have had to make a few quick disconnect harnesses to replace them in the field when needed. Just wanted to say that you might end up with a cut wire or two if a curious squirrel ends up finding it. Two cameras set up at different angles sounds like a great idea. I always end up with a pic of a buck that i wish i had another angle of. Keep up the good ideas.

Attachments

Top Bottom