New JHO Members- What's Going on Here Lately?....Take Precautions!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

I am all for helping new JHO members with info they seek but I notice lately a lot of new members on the hog and turkey forum that seem to be desperate for hunting info or hooking up for a hunt without even trying to warm up to us or tell us anything about the selfs. First all if someone is really serious about being a JHO member then they should be filling out their profile info if they don't this is a good indication they are here today gone tomorrow after they get what they want from us. The reason I am posting this u need to take precautions when u want to give out info or hook up with someone u don't really know that we'll yet here on JHO.

I never posted this hunt story because this person didn't deserve to be acknowledge after the crap he pulled on me but just to use myself as an example for others here I will tell u a brief Version of the 3 day opener lake Sonoma hunt a few years ago.

I had a new member pm me and wanted to hook up at my local range so we could get to know each other because he was interested in me taking him to lake Sonoma for some hunting so I agreed and we met up.
He seemed like a real nice young gentlemen who is an EMT ( emergency medical technician ) we got along fine and I agreed to take him to lake Sonoma for the opener for like 3-4 days.
The first morning I took him to Yorty creek it was still pitch black out when we hit the trail and somehow I got confused and got us lost on one of the mountain ridges ( that was a first for me to happen there getting lost. So it's still dark i am confused which way to get back down to get back on track so he tries to go down one side but I can tell will will drop off and we could get stuck but he insisted, we started the decent and of course got stuck with no outlet but to go back up, we'll I got stuck on he incline it was wet slippery leaves I needed help to get back up and he didn't lift a finger to help me, I was struggling almost ready to cry not believing this was happening to me but finally I made it up and my ankle was wrenched I had really did a number on it I w in serious pain after that. LIKE I SAID HE WAS AN EMT AND DIDN'T LIFT A FINGER TO HELP ME. It got light out got back on track but lost valuable time, like I said I admit that was my bad.

The next thing he was doing every time we got to a new area he was pressuring me to hurry up gear up and hit the trails at a ridiculous pace and i am saying to myself are u kidding this is my hunt not his. Plus my ankle was in major pain and swelling up for the whole 3 day hunt.

I finally figured out what his agenda was from the beginning and after that hunt I vowed to never hook up with a new member who really doesn't tell much about themselves when they join JHO.

I figured out that This person i took on the hunt was a JHO troller first, someone who observes and looks for info from us here on these forums for their own benefit and personal agenda not ours without joining to be a jho member, Then they decide to join and pop up on here and start drilling us for info and spots to hunt without giving us any personal info about themselves, like I said this should be a red light that's something is up.
This persons agenda was to use me from the begging to learn the layout and spots at lake Sonoma and after that drop me like a hot potato and disappeared from JHO never to be heard from or seen again.

So I learned a super valuable lesson and I won't make that mistake ever again, that was the worst hunt of my life and I pissed off and still sore for days. I had to make up for that opener and went back by myself 2 weeks later and enjoyed my hunt my self.

And let me repeat this was someone I even met before we went, but he played me got what he wanted happy ending for him the worst for me.

So with that being said I could be wrong and i apologize if i am but for an example i will use this new member, I notice a new member here named shu lace and I sense the same pattern I experienced with the person I described above on my l.s hunt.
I detect desperation to get info on hunting areas and to go hunting with a JHO member without really telling anything about himself or warming up to use veterans of JHO and other new recent members here too.

So my six sense is tingling right now that something is not right with shu laces intent here On jho and take precaution if u give this person info or want to hook up that's all I am saying.

So with that being said shu lace I hate to put u on the spot sir but if u want to defend yourself on what I think
Your true agenda here as a new JHO member please do and I will personally apologize if I am wrong.......tra

slanttop357

Well you don't haft to worry about hooking up with people from CA thats for sure, sorry to hear about your hunt with someone that did not give a rats ass about you in the woods, i would of respected every thing you said and did in hopes of gaining some knowledge into the game we were pursuing and i would of for dam sure addressed and evaluated what to do about your ankle.

hks95134

Banned
I also had a bad experience while teaming up with someone from an internet hunting forum. There were no signs apparent in advance, and we did meet in advance to briefly get to know one another; but once we finally headed out on the hunt and set up a camp, it began to become apparent that this person had severe difficulties getting along with others.

Numerous disagreements over petty matters resulted eventually in my packing up my camp after a few days and hunting somewhere else finally. Fortunately I did not end up compromising my favorite hunting spot -- we had gone to another place which we had scouted in advance. I'll never go back there however, for fear of running into this psycho again.

Some people just always need to have it their way, and that tends to wreck their friendships, their relationships, their families -- everything. You meet them on the internet. They seem sincere, but in reality they are ticking time bombs.

So you always need to be careful on the internet. Happens everywhere from coast to coast apparently.

Last edited:

jimmmb

I totally agree with you TRA. Hopefully common sense will prevail and folks here aren't just going to give out a lot of info, that they spent years gathering, to someone that just comes on here out of the blue and asks for it without offering anything about themselves first. I'm pretty new here myself but so far it seems like that is not the case. I'm also trying to give more than I take, that'w how I was raised.

I think meeting anyone from the internet poses some concerns, but I'm especially cautious about hunting because of obvious reasons...like going out into the wilderness with loaded weapons. Not so much that the psycho/serial killer factor, but gun safety. I'm really weird about it and who I hunt with. Just because someone has the hunter's safety doesn't necessarily mean they know how to handle a gun. My biggest fear is meeting up with someone online for a hunt, and they want to drink beer, truck hunt, etc.

sabershooter

I have met up with one person from the lake Sonoma facebook page he was a new hunter and well so am I we met up at a gas station at 4:30 am launched the boat and headed out. We had a great time and went the next day also.

slanttop357

Hi my name is Jerkwad, looking to find a good place to hunt Deer any info thank you. Don't reply they will go away. Hi every body my name is Jim i live in Upland, CA i am new to hunting and would like very much to learn about hunting in California. I passed the hunter safety course this year and now i am ready to buy a new rifle and go to the range, do you guys have any preference when it comes to big game rifles ? and any zones that i should apply for, i think D11/D14 would be a good start because i dont got to travel far to get to my zone. Any way thank you and look forward to hearing from you all have a good day.

voidecho

I haven't hunted with anyone from JHO yet, but I've met three of you and all of my interactions have been positive. All seem to be good guys.

But to your original point TRA, I would certainly be wary of someone with 1-2 posts here asking for someone to take them out.

Chayito702

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with some a$$ hole like that Tra. I my self have hunted with 2 JHO members. One of them we have been on upland birds, turkeys and pigs. Great guy, Got along well. The other JHO member I have hunted with was for deer and bear. Met him before our hunt, spent the night over at dads and of we went. Pleasant experience with him. Only thing I still feel bad, was that I knew deer where there and wanted to put him on nice buck, unfortunately that did not happen. Following weekend, I wasn't able to go due to work, my dad and uncles went and sure thing they bagged 2 nice bucks, weekend later 2 bigger bucks and the last day a nice buck as well. I still owe my buddy a deer and will definitely pass on shooting one in order for him to bag his own.

KTKT70

but gun safety. I'm really weird about it and who I hunt with. Just because someone has the hunter's safety doesn't necessarily mean they know how to handle a gun. My biggest fear is meeting up with someone online for a hunt, and they want to drink beer, truck hunt, etc.
Im with u on this one. I like to have a beer after work or while camping. But never while I am hunting or shooting. I was raised by a hard core country boy that happens to be a Lt. Col also. So we love guns and doing country stuff but we love safety most of all. We often will offer to have people come up to our land to hunt sheds or go to the range for the day. Its a good way to feel folks out. If they do something not safe, we can tell if its a all the time thing or something that can be fixed with a little mentoring. My dad will not invite people back around or go with them again if he thinks they are not safe. There is always time for beer or horse play... just never time for them around guns or our horses.

Gator J - Thank you for trying to help a new guy out. I am sorry to hear how it went and now I understand why some guys maybe a little shy about taken green hunters under there wings. I also think that over time true colors always show. Maybe it just takes getting to know people longer and better before putting boots on the ground.

I for one would try to learn all i can from a older guy and not bump heads with him. We need to be thankful and respectful to anyone that gives any help to us. Its not something the have to do. It is just a nice way of helping others. Also as a new guy its always helpful to give a hand with anything you can. Doing some dirty work shows that you are really wanting to learn and will go the extra mile for your new friend.

Best of luck everyone and hope we don't get many more bad stories, but maybe some good ones were new buddies have been made and things went well.

Where's Bruce?

I've met a number of JHO guys and so far only one is on my chit list...the rest have been great. At the top of that list is Bubblehide who went above & beyond to help me get a buck and learn some bow hunting ropes. Never got upset when my arse slowed down and provided a very educational experience for me. Can't say enough positive things about him. Maybe it's the luck of the draw or maybe it's karma but I am thankful for those willing to risk hunting with me. I believe what goes around, comes around. Woodgrain's another great guy who showed me how to bust sky during waterfowl season.

Last edited:

NorCalBowhunter

I'm a new-ish guy and I like this post. Now lets get down to business, where's all your honey holes at?:stir pot: . As a fairly new hunter, well newly back at it would be more appropriate... I've learned that info doesn't come easy, and it shouldn't. For me, part of the gratification in the activity comes from doing research and scouting areas I have gathered information on. Some people just want hero pics, but don't want to do all the work involved in getting there.

CottonwoodHunting

There were no signs apparent in advance, and we did meet in advance to briefly get to know one another; but once we finally headed out on the hunt and set up a camp, it began to become apparent that this person had severe difficulties getting along with others.
Talk to any college kid with room mates, and they will tell you a similar story. It starts off friendly but by the end of the semester each roommate is convinced the other is the devil incarnate. I tend to think this is just human nature. Not every human is going to get along with every other human. The better man is the one who manages to walk away without badmouthing anyone.

slanttop357

I've met a number of JHO guys and so far only one is on my chit list...the rest have been great. At the top of that list is Bubblehide who went above & beyond to help me get a buck and learn some bow hunting ropes. Never got upset when my arse slowed down and provided a very educational experience for me. Can't say enough positive things about him. Maybe it's the luck of the draw or maybe it's karma but I am thankful for those willing to risk hunting with me. I believe what goes around, comes around. Woodgrain's another great guy who showed me how to bust sky during waterfowl season.
Where the hell am i on that list buddy buddy.

solus

Im always trying to help new guys but I think Im done trying to help any more. Some of these guys just turn there backs on you and dont care about what you are trying to teach them

cjack

Im always trying to help new guys but I think Im done trying to help any more. Some of these guys just turn there backs on you and dont care about what you are trying to teach them
Gotta pay it forward solus, the one that does care will make it all worth while. Besides I can't think of many that are as willing as you to help out with advice on the forum, don't give up because of a few bad seeds.

voidecho

I can definitely say that us new guys (and gals) appreciate all of the help offered by the more experienced hunters here. The amount of info I've picked up around here is ginormous and everyone's been very helpful.

Sawdog

Sorry if some newbies are pissing in the punch but without places like this guys like me who have very limited hunting experiences and dont come from a hunting background will never be able to learn. I know I havent really done the introducing myself thing and thanks for the heads up on that I will get to it.

sabershooter

I am a new hunter also and have had a lot of good advice . And spots to try but I think.its because how I went about it. I didn't ask for anyone to take me out just asked a general are to put some.work in. And got many pm's and good advice. As new people if we are willing to help ourselves and try and put the boots to the ground more people.will help

THE ROMAN ARCHER

I want to mention 3 more instances that blew my mind and may blow yours after i tell u on that l.s. hunt that really put the icing on the cake where I almost left him it was so bad To show u how much more abuse I took from him over those 3 days just not to be the ahole he was and keep my dignity and respect as a jho fellow member.

1) he wanted to go scout ahead on a trail for a few minutes said he would be right back I said cool I hang out and glass for a few minute's till he gets back.
Well 45 min. Later after I was burning up in the sun with no shade close by he reappears like nothing happened, u kidding me!

2) early in the morning we spot some big black figures about a mile away grazing on a hill side it was still low light so kind of hard to make out even with binos, but since my ankle was badly wrenched I really wanted to be positive they where pig's before we zipped a mile away to make the stalk. He insisted they where pig's, I glassed hard agian and came to the conclusion that they where not moving like pig's rooting and where cows stationary grazing and I told him that but he insisted they where pig's. So I said ok let go and know we where on a blistering pace to cover a mile to get in position for the action. We get to the hillside where they can't spot us I stay put and he puts the stalk on the pigs via their blind side. 5 minutes later he comes down and says their cows. This is where I wanted to shoot my self for ever bringing him.

3) so after that stalk we had to go back a mile incline from where we started and now my ankle is beyond pain where I could almost not walk.
So now he stops and says to me wait here a few minutes I want to climb up to a ridge above us a few hundred feet to see if there where pig's and glass the area. So he drops his pack I watch him ascend hill toll he disappeared out of site and I thinking here we go agian. He doesn't come back for a while and now I have had it. I am ready to take off I can't wait except he left his super heavy @$$ backpack with me.
I should of left it since I was hurting already carrying my pack and bow but I grabbed it suffering the whole 20 minutes on the trail and son of a b____ I run into him ahead on the trail like nothing happened, are u serious!

So now u can really see why it was the worst hunt of my life.

I want to say that since I became a jho member in 2006 I have had the ultimate pleasure to share many jho hunts with some of the best good harted truly passionate outdoor nature respecting people that I would have not met any where else if it wasn't for jho.

I am sure I have done hunts with over 50 jho members since I joined and enjoyed everyone of them accept the one bad apple and I won't let that ruin future hunts because as u can see I can smell a jho rat a mi. Away through tbe Internet air waves.
I won't be fooled again, because I take great percaution and let time tell it's tail.

Jho is my seconed home and extended family and i would do anything to perseve it.

Any of my jho mentors that gave me the time of day when i was a jho rookie they know how much i appreciate that they gave me chance and for that i am always thankful and they know i got there back and they got mine.

And i think this thread is proving my point exactly. Thanks everyone!....tra / Gator J.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stonepointer

I don't know what you mean by the word 'agenda' but here on these forums, it usually conjures up a thought of intentional interference.

In regards to newbies asking advice, we have all seen the usual post of someone new here asking for someone to give or take them to a general hunting spot without giving away your 'honeyhole' to go do a particular type of hunting.

They really usually do want a specific location, if they are honest with themselves. I may have been guilty about this myself when I first started hunting and asking questions on this forum.

I never really understood the concept of the term 'honeyhole' except when it is used in mining.

Game is where one finds it after looking for it.

Game may change habits and suddenly 'honeyhole' becomes another type of hole.

The term seems to apply maybe better to fishing, but even then, conditions might change and it becomes a pointless word.

If a person can, put in the dirt time, learn the signs and follow where they lead, you will find your game without needing to know where someone hunts.

After taking care of an injured relative for many months, I am now just happy to get out period!

As far as hunting with someone from the JHO forums, I have never done it, because I am not all that sure about what I might be getting into.

There are some seemingly fine folks here, and then there are some people that you might be suspicious of because you get a hunch or an indicator from their writing choices, and sometimes you might be right, but be careful not to start a 'Witch Hunt' atmosphere. Over time, if someone is a problem, it will eventually show.

Personally, I don't like to put all that much on my profile, because I don't feel comfortable with any old 'Jack' rummaging through parts of my life. The internet is a risky place with many less-than-honest people.

I hate to even mention the weapons I own, but have done so as few times that I really care to, but I always feel that I have stated such at a risk.

When meeting other hunters in the field, I have mentioned this forum, but have only come across people who have never heard of it, or if they had they only glanced through here a few times.

When it just the GL :prayin :and myself :not-worthy:, that is when I usually have my best outdoor experiences, other than that I prefer a family member, but no more than two to be with me. Beyond this I will except conditions that I might have to share a spot, or just move deeper in.

Last edited:

Top Bottom