New Junior Hunter

Quacker Wacker

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum so I'd like to start by saying hello to the members and moderators.  

My oldest of 3 sons is 10, just passed his hunter safety course Saturday before last and will be enjoying his first hunt as a hunter this Saturday.  We pick up a brand new Mossberg "Bantam" 20 ga on Thursday, and will be putting some practice rounds through it Friday.  As someone who was started into a lifetime passion by my step-dad at the same age I wanted to share my excitement and ask for any feedback on your first hunt experiences as a hunter or a parent.

Fubar

Reaction score
Quacker Wacker  Welcome to Jesses Forum. Congratulations to your son. I think you will find lots of good people in here.            Fubar

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Welcome Quacker!  Head over to the Big Game section and scroll down about 7/8 topics.  Good idea of the group's feelings in "Daughter's First Hunt".

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Congrats on the new hunter in the family.  My son is now 25 but I can still remember his first bird (hen Pintail).  Here are some things I might suggest..take 'em or leave 'em:

1.  Take along a box of clay targets and a hand held thrower.  You can get these everywhere and the cost is very little.  We all hope that dove hunting will be great ...but, if it turns out to be a little slow, take out the clay targets and toss a few into the air.  Your son will love to take his shots at them and it will keep him excited.  You and he will laugh about all the shots missed and give each other high 5's for all the shots he makes.

2.  Soemthing that I started for my son when he first hunted was I collected the shell casing for that first bird, took a picture and a tail feather to frame later on.  I have done this same routine for all of his "firsts" (first duck, first pintail, first mallard, first pheasant, etc).  Now, I will need to put it together into a shadow box or something like that for him.  He said he may not want the pictures included but just the feathers and the shell.  So, that may be fun for you also.

3.  Start a log - if you haven't already - of each hunt.  I have a word document that I created and I use one each hunt to outline how we did, where we hunted, weather, what birds we got (drake or hen also), reservation numbers (if received), comments about the day, etc.  I look it over each year before the new season...Great way to begin the year.
My dad stated his in the 50's...pretty nice to read now that he is gone.

So, those are some ideas...give it a try and good luck this year!

Quacker Wacker

Reaction score
Duck Fan, thanks for the great suggestions.  I think all 3 of your idea's are great.  I am lucky enough that my Dad, who started me hunting for grey squirrels at 9 but rarely has the time or energy to get out any more will be joining us on his first ever dove hunt.  It should be great fun, if this Sat brings any where near the number of birds as we saw scouting last Sunday there should be lots of laughs and high-fives for all.  I plan on actually taking a video camera to record this event.  I can't wait!

Duck Fan

Reaction score
I am very happy for you..I wish my dad were still with us.  He died in 1991 while hunting at Kern (heart attack).  Made it to the hospital but that night he passed away.  

But, 3 weeks before, he was there to watch his grandson (my son) shoot his first duck at Mendota..and he used grandpa's gun to get that first one also.  You have a lot to look forward to..Enjoy the heck out if it.

Top Bottom