New law on selling video or pics taken in NF,

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I saw this on Doyle Moss's website, Mossback Productions.

Any see this yet? Do you know anyone fined under this new law?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Attention Videographers and Cameramen

New laws prohibit the selling of any video footage from Forest Service, BLM and State Lands from this day forward. Anyone who produces a video to sell or is compensated for selling one second or more of video footage is breaking the law unless they have a permit. Permits are required for every different National forest or BLM area you will be filming in.  They will be watching any videos produced and handing out some heavy fines. You must obtain a film permit from Forest Service and the BLM. A  1 Million dollar insurance policy is required which runs about $2,000 a year. This policy is nationwide, for TV, video, any minute or second, except photographs from BLM is exempt. Just a friendly note to keep everyone from a lot of fines and court costs![/b]

nugentfan

Reaction score
Wow! Another way for the government to raise money at outdoorsman's expense. Why am I not surprised?

prohunter

Reaction score
i think it is great idea. way too much pressure from these guys & all for the mighty dollar! i am glad that the average joe who just enjoys it for himself can still do that at no cost!

huntducks

Reaction score
I wonder if they need a video watcher, i'll take that job

lxtrail

Reaction score
the goverment hard at work once again, i swear this country is so F- up sometimes. these are our NF and our BLM lands and because some guy is filming a hunting video on it they cant sell it ay more unless they put up the million dollar insurance. that just pissis me off. maybe if were lucky theyll take our guns from us so we dont have to clean them??????

Attachments

subfan

Reaction score
Whoa... I wonder how this would impact USO??? Would he have issues with his "sportsmen" filming their hunts to advertise for him???

Schoettgen

Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me.
. In order for it to encompass both federal and state lands it would not only need to be passed at a Federal level but also a State level.LOL. Second thing, even if it did not include state land and was a regulation, or policy adopted by the FS, I would be very surprised it would be followed by a similar regulation within the BLM as one is the USDA, and the other is the Interior Dept. These areas also being for the most part Public Places brings into question other issues reguarding the constitutionality of such a law. Even individuals do not have the right to not be photographed in public places. Now public places can't be video taped ??? I'm not a lawyer but I bet even I could win that case in court.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I have to agree with Shoettgen here... sounds way too fishy to me.

It wouldn't be hard to verify, though. A couple of phone calls should do the trick.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Doesn't sound fishy to me. You have to obtain a special use permit and be bonded with insurance to guide on state or federal land. Same thing, you're making money off your use of the same land and with the budget cuts it makes perfect sense for the goobermint to tax us yet again for what we already pay for.

From what I hear it's not a law it's a regulation that users have to abide by. One exception is if you pay an admittance fee like at a NP or state park. Of course you can't hunt in those so the videoing hunts issue is moot there.

Hntrjohn

Reaction score
I wonder if the News stations have to di this filming forest fires??
They video it, then sell comercials between the footage.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom