New lead free bullet

Plain ol' Steve

What ranges do you think you'll get a shot at an antelope? Under 100 yards or over 300?
Out to 300. Not beyond unless a follow up. At 300 yards the Barnes TTSX in .243 is advertised to have velocity of 2486 FTPS, and energy of 1098 FT-LB from an 80 grn. bullet. I called and asked a Barnes representative and he said that the bullet needs 1500 FTPS to expand.

From What I read, thin skinned animals like the antelope need a minimum of 800 FT-lb of energy for appropriate killing power (which this exceeds); and the velocity at that range exceeds what is advertised as necessary by the bullet manufacturer for proper expansion, so I was thinking I'd be good.

Last edited:

Cowmanone

After dismal results from Barnes, E-Tip, a Hornady non lead we all now shoot Cutting Edge Raptors. Only eight deer down so far (three years), but the bullets have absolutely performed as advertised. And all eight deer were DOA. But 1. They are expensive and 2. You must reload. So, to those here looking for an alternative, give them a try.

To Steve -our issue with the Barnes / E-Tip / Hornaday is..........they perform exactly as advertised .308 hole going in - .45 hole coming out; without any substantial energy transfer to the animal. Barnes themselves admit that all they want is a wound channel, and claim that "energy transfer" I irrelevant". When California went to non lead, I was open minded about the bullets. No longer. The dirty secret around CA is we hate copper bullets, and are making the best of a bad situation. With the Raptors, I have quit worrying about my bullet, and making sure I hit bone on the way in, and etc. I am once again confident that a behind the shoulder shot, with this bullet, will bring the same results I got from my old lead bullet.

Mr. Luckypants

After dismal results from Barnes, E-Tip, a Hornady non lead we all now shoot Cutting Edge Raptors. Only eight deer down so far (three years), but the bullets have absolutely performed as advertised. And all eight deer were DOA. But 1. They are expensive and 2. You must reload. So, to those here looking for an alternative, give them a try.

To Steve -our issue with the Barnes / E-Tip / Hornaday is..........they perform exactly as advertised .308 hole going in - .45 hole coming out; without any substantial energy transfer to the animal. Barnes themselves admit that all they want is a wound channel, and claim that "energy transfer" I irrelevant". When California went to non lead, I was open minded about the bullets. No longer. The dirty secret around CA is we hate copper bullets, and are making the best of a bad situation. With the Raptors, I have quit worrying about my bullet, and making sure I hit bone on the way in, and etc. I am once again confident that a behind the shoulder shot, with this bullet, will bring the same results I got from my old lead bullet.
Can you send me 20 samples? Would love to try it and report back.

k_rad

I will try the 156gr. in .277 but they don't list and BC's the new Barnes longe range LRX has a BC of 463 and they are shooting so flat in my gun that there is almost no change in drop out to 300 yds.

rogsworld

Barnes BC sucks and their low velocity impact expansion is crap too.

The Hammers are a lot like the GS Customs except made in Montana and not South Africa. The GS bullets are awesome so these should be too.

An 85+ grain .223 will have a very high BC. A 90gr Berger is pretty awesome out of a fast .223, but not very tough for close range work. I'm hoping an all copper will still have a high BC for half mile and beyond but still work well under 100 yards. Driven at 3500 fps plus it will should smack deer like lightning but have hardly any recoil.
I would certainly like to know your load data that pushes an 85 grain bullet at 3500 FPS out of a .223

Top Bottom