New Lead Free DFG Trucks ?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
good to know! thank you Only had one bad Issue with a Game Warden citing a hunting bud for hunting to close to a stream in D14 of the National forest. they finally resended the citation after a bunch of calls and getting to the top dog of the CDFW.
You would think they would know the regulations wouldn't you?

dthome

Reaction score
Hey Opah, what is the regulation that discusses hunting near streams? Do you know? Thx!

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Yes I do very well in fact. In the California Desert Conservation Area you must be 250 yards? I'll verify that away from any water source.
every where else in California only man made water sources such as guzzlers and water troughs you have to be the same distance away.
I will pull it up and bring it here for you be back
§730. Camping Near or Occupying Wildlife Watering Places.
  • (a) Camping/Occupying Defined. For purposes of this Section, camping/occupying is defined as establishing or inhabiting a camp; resting; picnicking; sleeping; parking or inhabiting any motor vehicle or trailer; hunting; or engaging in any other recreational activity for a period of more than thirty (30) minutes at a given location.
  • (b) Wildlife Watering Places Defined. For purposes of this Section, wildlife watering places are defined as waterholes, springs, seeps and man-made watering devices for wildlife such as guzzlers (self-filling, in-the-ground water storage tanks), horizontal wells and small impoundments of less than one surface acre in size.
  • (c) Prohibitions.
    • (1) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within 200 yards of the following:
      • (A) Any guzzler or horizontal well for wildlife on public land within the State of California.
      • (B) Any of the wildlife watering places on public land within the boundary of the California Desert Conservation Area as depicted on the Bureau of Land Management maps of "Calif. Federal Public Lands Responsibility," "Calif. Desert Conservation Area” and the new “Desert District, B.L.M."
    • (2) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within one-quarter mile of the following wildlife watering places:
      • (A) Butte Well--T31N, R14E, Section 28, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
      • (B) Schaffer Well--T31N R14E, Section 25, Center, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
      • (C) Tableland Well--T31N, R14E, Section 17, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
      • (D) Table Mountain Well--T31N, R14E, Section 32, SE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.
      • (E) Timber Mountain Well--T44N, R6E, Section 33, M.D.B.M., Modoc National Forest, Modoc County.
      • (F) Belfast Well--T31N, R14E, Section 31, NE1/4, M.D.B.M., Lassen County.

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, i never new about it.
Now you got me concerned, sometimes i hunt LPNF. How can i know where those guzzlers or horizontal wells for wildlife are located?
Another thing, people who hunt FHL, they usually try to hunt around water holes which are mainly man made and less than 1 acre. Does it mean they are in truble should warden catches them?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Kind of got me here LPNF Los Padres National Forest? FHL? no idea
most times they well be notated on the topo maps of the areas, but as to he question
closer than 200 yards of a man made water source you are in violation of the code and
can be cited. the catch on this is if your are convicted of ay violation they well revoke
your license and tags for that year and the next, 2 years no fishing, hunting Notha!
Also you will be fined by three different entity's of the California government and this is
a mistameamer you have to go to court, can go to jail. it can turn out to be a real bad thing.
That's why we fought my buds citation so vigorously before it became a case in the DA's office

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Weird, i hope some one chimes in.
How can some one know if you hunt on a public land and the bordering private property has a bathtub for animals. there is no way for you to know this.

How did you fight it, what arguments did you bring?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
We were hunting D14, two of us had did the scouting and knew where we going to hunt, we shared what we knew about the area with the third of our party and went on our way. there was a dried up stream bed running down thru the canyon we had staked out ( and it was named on our topo of the area). Not sure where he wanted to go he walked down the road a bit found a place with a good view and sat down. rifle unloaded on the bipod next to his chair. A warden walked up from around the corner said he had been sitting they for more than 30 minutes and he was within 200 yards of this stream. My bud asked him how am I to know there is a stream down somewhere down there, the warden replied everyone knows its there, couldn't tell my bud its name but everyone knew it.
long to short he was cited.
to beat it #1 the warden was wrong we were not in the CDCA we were in the national forest, you can hunt streams and natural watering sources every where except the desert, Called and called worked my way up the ladder of command until I got to the director in charge of the area we were in. he wrote the Warden made him resend the citation and write an apology to my bud.
Massive calling campaign to get to someone that would or could do something. know the regs for the areas you ar goig to hunt

dthome

Reaction score
Ah, yes. This regulation has been discussed many times before. It only pertains to certain situations.

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Jus a sec. the reg says:
vCamping/Occupying is prohibited within 200 yards of the following:
  • (A) Any guzzler or horizontal well for wildlife on public land within the State of California.
But you say
the warden was wrong we were not in the CDCA we were in the national forest

Is national forest is not part of public land within the State of California?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry just guy CDCA = California Desert Conservation area = All Water sources
National forest and the rest of California = just man made guzzlers not stream ponds rivers ect.
So yes in the national foresy you can hunt a stream

Last edited:

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Justguy: Dave found the Reg for us, here it is

Section 3004. (Amended by Stats. 2009, Ch. 294, Sec. 11.)
Cite as: Cal. Fish & Game Code §3004.
(a)It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150-yard area is a “safety zone.”
(b)It is unlawful for any person to intentionally discharge any firearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across any public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe and reckless manner.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
It was not my question, you jump in without even trying to understand what one is asking.
This is a different subject.

dthome

Reaction score
It was not my question, you jump in without even trying to understand what one is asking.
This is a different subject.
Go easy on him, Justguy. This thread was hijacked well before Opah's second tangent. :)

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
sorry got off track and stepped on some toes.
I apologize Guys

Last edited:

Top Bottom