New Member! Hi everyone!

mxgsfmdpx

Just stumbled across this forum trying to find information on desolation wilderness hunting regulations and it seems there were a few members on here with some good information. I've spent a lot of time backpacking and hiking in the Tahoe desolation wilderness which resides in the north east corner of D5. I had a few questions that hopefully ya'll can help me out with.

.Do I need anything special other than my wilderness permit, hunting license, and tag?
.Are there any areas that are off limits within the desolation wilderness?

Thanks very much for any help and information, I really appreciate it!

Bankrunner

No you don't need anything special other than what you called out (the wilderness permit and you only need that if you plan on camping overnight)
Not that i'm aware of, I would stay away from designated campsites and major trails as much as i could but that's just me.
Good luck on tagging a granite buck and let us know about your trip if you can.

mxgsfmdpx

No you don't need anything special other than what you called out (the wilderness permit and you only need that if you plan on camping overnight)
Not that i'm aware of, I would stay away from designated campsites and major trails as much as i could but that's just me.
Good luck on tagging a granite buck and let us know about your trip if you can.
Awesome. Thanks very much for the information! I am planning on spending at least 3 days up there glassing some spots I've seen deer over the last 20 years backpacking up there. I've got a great spot picked out for setting up a base camp that gives me access to a few different glassing spots within a mile or 2 from camp, and they are at different elevations which should help my chances.

Yep. I plan on steering clear of most of the major hiking trails for any hunting activities. Camps out there have to be at least 100 feet off any trail and 100 feet from any lake or stream as per desolation wilderness rules. I plan on being much further away than that haha!

Stevehazard

Fire permit if you want to cook something warm or hot coffee on a little pocket stove would be nice. Guessing you already have that if you've been backpacking up there. Shouldn't be any restrictions as where you can go other then whatever campsites may be up there at the moment.

mxgsfmdpx

Fire permit if you want to cook something warm or hot coffee on a little pocket stove would be nice. Guessing you already have that if you've been backpacking up there. Shouldn't be any restrictions as where you can go other then whatever campsites may be up there at the moment.
I always wondered about the fire permits... I've never even tried for a fire permit as I've heard they are pretty much impossible to get for desolation wilderness. Camp stoves are allowed and that's how I do coffee and boil water to drink, etc :)

There are only a few designated "camping" places up there and none of them are really ever overly crowded. North and East side of Lake of the Woods is generally the busiest along with Eagle Lake and up into the Velmas. Grouse Lake gets busy from time to time bu I'll be quite a ways away from all those spots so I think I will be set! Once you get into October and November you can be up there for a week and not see another soul.

Bankrunner

On-line camp fire permit link is below.
Even with the permit you have to make sure general fire restrictions are not in effect and follow special fire restrictions for an area like the desolation. Some wilderness areas only allow campfires below a certain elevation.
I use a small propane stove all the time when camping and am not privy to any regs regarding them and i'd be nice to keep it that way.

mxgsfmdpx

On-line camp fire permit link is below.
Even with the permit you have to make sure general fire restrictions are not in effect and follow special fire restrictions for an area like the desolation. Some wilderness areas only allow campfires below a certain elevation.
I use a small propane stove all the time when camping and am not privy to any regs regarding them and i'd be nice to keep it that way.
Right on! Thanks for the link :)

Stevehazard

Yeah they just want you to watch a video and take an online test. Then print it out and it's good for a year statewide. I believe they want you to have it to use isopropane stoves, alcohol, etc too.

The altitude thing confuses me because it's different in some places. I thought it was above 10K they didn't want it but I came down from Raymond Lake in the summer and it said it was 8K. Opps. Had a fire up the night before. But in my defense there was no signs on the other side that I went up from.

mxgsfmdpx

Yeah they just want you to watch a video and take an online test. Then print it out and it's good for a year statewide. I believe they want you to have it to use isopropane stoves, alcohol, etc too.

The altitude thing confuses me because it's different in some places. I thought it was above 10K they didn't want it but I came down from Raymond Lake in the summer and it said it was 8K. Opps. Had a fire up the night before. But in my defense there was no signs on the other side that I went up from.
I think it really just depends where you are. I talked to a ranger yesterday on the phone and he said that the cal fire permits do not negate the "no fire" rule anywhere when you are in "desolation wilderness". I guess I'll play it safe and just bring the little propane burners like I've done backpacking.

Top Bottom