New Mexico Results Are Up

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Screw NM. They need a point system or start asking for the tag fees up front or get rid of the online apps. Something needs to happen. I really don't know what I was expecting. Every hunt I put in for had 4% or less odds. Sorry for venting. Ed F

SDHNTR

Reaction score
No kidding Ed, while it is kinda nice to have one state where points don't matter and where you still have a perceived chance to draw a primo tag without waiting 10 years, in reality it's a joke with the current system. I know a lot of hunters and I don't know a single person who has drawn a good tag in NM in the last few years. Fronting the money is a good idea.

barel74

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SDHNTR @ Jun 18 2008, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No kidding Ed, while it is kinda nice to have one state where points don't matter and where you still have a perceived chance to draw a primo tag without waiting 10 years, in reality it's a joke with the current system. I know a lot of hunters and I don't know a single person who has drawn a good tag in NM in the last few years. Fronting the money is a good idea.[/b]
Carters hasn't helped any either. The odds for every zone they mention go to hell the following year.

sancho

Reaction score
hmmm...here is my take. the year before, my brother and i got a wild hair to try to rifle hunt elk. we did some quick research, and put in an application for NM. we forgot all about it, until we noticed we drew!!! our CC's were charged!!! we were stoked and put together a hunt. we secured several friends to help haul out meat, and maybe do some calling. we watched videos, went to seminars and talked to alot of game biologist. the day before opening morning we trotted out there and heard the big boys bugling! eerie, and stimulating at the same time. talk about goosebumps. we had never gone elk hunting before, so we were super excited but didnt know what to expect. we knew where to go, so opening morning we climbed a mountain wearing headlamps. two hours later, we cow called an elk into my lap. POW! mine was down. we spent the day hauling meat and antlers out....eat, sleep, and try for our second animal. one for my bro.. up the mountian again, out past a different finger...two hours later, we cow called one into his lap. POW! his was down. hauling his out with fatiqued muscles was brutal. we took an entire animal out, 4 guys, in one trip. i almost passed out at the truck.

basically we totally and utterly got a misrepresented elk experience. we were essentially spoiled rookie season, two elk. totally unheard of. calling the elk appeared easy, so my bro and i made a pact to only hunt them with bows...i dont know when i will draw again...sad.

Attachments

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Points are overrated. Kinda nice to have a few "roll of the dice" states still around.

At least NM is WAY more generous than the majority of western states issueing 22% of its tags to non-residents. I hope to draw again soon.

Nice bull pics.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I'll agree that it's like rolling the dice, but the dice have 100 sides. For any decent hunt in NM, the odds are terrible at best. wmidbrook, you are as hardcore as anybody. You should be rewarded for your persistance. At least Sancho realizes how fortunate he was (Congrats, by the way). Now he will apply every year for the rest of his life and he may never see a quality elk tag again (I don't know if he drew a quality tag). I've been applying in NM for 15 years (deer,elk,sheep) and have drawn two deer tags, back when the odds were 15-20% to draw. Now because of fewer tags and more applicants those odds are less than 4%. I may as well save the app fees and buy a landowner tag every five or so years. I don't know what is best, but I'm sure that rolling the dice is near the bottom of my list. Ed F

barel74

Reaction score
lol, 5 years of app fee's, comes nowhere near the price of a landowner tag, but I see your point.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
So you are going to wait 1000 years before you break even on what a LO tag would cost?

I don't hink they should cut tags or make you buy a license or any of that business, but fronting the tag money with a paper application (no credit cards) would seperate the serious from the casual. They should at least do that for the HD hunts.

hank4elk

Reaction score
just checked,successful 2nd rif 44/45 pecos wilderness here i come , hoped for v. caldera, next time. it will be first elk hunt in 30 yrs- 2-5x5 in70's mont. by the way if you really look into nm draws , you have a very good chance of being drawn. even in hd areas . try to draw in ca. 4000people for 5 deer tags/g38, all the points in the world IF you started in begining, and 10,000-1 chance at elk, bull ! 50-1 in nm is a cake walk for trophy elk, get real !!!

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
Bowunter – I would be agreeing with you but I drew.

+10 years of putting in for a CA elk tag and nothing. First time putting in for NM and bam! My father also drew a NM Antelope tag this year. No one in my family has ever drawn a CA Antelope tag.

No matter where you go its all luck.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I just meant that at least I'd be hunting NM, none the less. I know how how much landowner tags cost, I've been researching it because I want to hunt NM. bpnclark, congrats on the tag and no doubt it's a great system for the first time applicant. Can't beat that. By the way, I've drawn two Ca antelope tags and one Ca elk tag. I think I drew a Ca sheep tag this year... I just have a gut feeling. May all you guys with NM tags kill some monsters and share your stories with us. Good luck. Ed F

paulc

Reaction score
Ed I agree completely. Point system is way overdue.

I have never drawn a premium tag in NM but no several that have again and again.

Luckily I won a ML valle caldera tag. But I bought a ton of raffle tickets to get it.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
by the way if you really look into nm draws , you have a very good chance of being drawn. even in hd areas . try to draw in ca. 4000people for 5 deer tags/g38, all the points in the world IF you started in begining, and 10,000-1 chance at elk, bull ! 50-1 in nm is a cake walk for trophy elk, get real !!![/b]
Hank, congrats on the tag but I'm gonna have to tell you that your numbers are way off. I can't think of any premium NM elk tag that has "a very good chance of being drawn". 50-1 is terrible odds. More than likely, without anything to improve the ratio, like a point system, the odds are, you will die before you draw the tag. That's the truth. No doubt Ca has some hunts with outrageous odds but they also have many guaranteed draw hunts and with the point system you have a chance to draw areal good hunt if you are patient. 10,000-1 odds for Ca elk is surely an exageration on your part. Get real. Ed F

sancho

Reaction score
my tag was a premium tag.. near ruidoso new mexico, next to the reservation. awesome animals there! 4% odds??!!! damn, i never did the math. that is slim.

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
Is this a bad time to bring up that my brother has drawn an archery elk tag in NM for three straight years? I put in for a muzzle-loader hunt with him and he added in the archery units for the 2nd – 3rd choices. I thought there is no way he is going to draw again. I was wrong.

Personally I feel that I will die before I ever get a CA Tule bull tag. I started putting in for Tule cow tags 3 years ago and I can’t even get one of those. As for the Sheep tags? I know I will never get one of those, and I doubt my children will either.

I think this is a good year for putting in for out-of-state hunts. It seems that a lot of people are putting in for points only. Hopefully next year more will.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
bpnclark, No doubt there are a lot of stories about lucky streaks and first time applicants. My only point in this whole thing is that I feel that the NM draw system can be improved. I did some research and saw that hank4elk was just stirring the pot. The Ca G-38 hunt has 300 tags and 366 total applicants. I fell for it! By the way, I'm still gonna pay my app fees til I die, just for a chance to hunt the Gila. Ed F

Latest Posts

Top Bottom