New MSR Water Fliter

gc4279

Reaction score
I've been shopping around for a new water filter and think I found the one I want. The problem is they have not been released to the market yet. I thought I'd post a couple links here in case someone else is looking. It should be released very soon, it's already listed on most of the major sites I looked at for $99. Kind of expensive but at 7.4oz and 3ltr per minute it might be worth it.
Gary C.
http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/hyperflow.asp

Backpacker 2008 Editors Choice Award
http://www.msrgear.com/about/press_pdfs/MS...rd%20Winner.pdf

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I use another MSR filter and its a work horse! I'm sure you will be very happy with yours...good choice...a bit pricey for my taste, but that is just me...

gc4279

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BackCountryHNTR @ Mar 20 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
a bit pricey for my taste, but that is just me...
[/b]
Nosmally I'm the same way. In the past I have just used tablets for my drinking water but last year my wife got a pack and came with me on a couple trips. At Christmas I bought my grandson a pack and he plans on going a couple times this summer. Keeping the newbies happy is my main reason for getting a pump. I figure that for half the wieght and three times the flow rate of most pumps I'll pay the extra bucks for a change.
Gary C.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
That filter is a awesome product..I pretty much like everything MSR makes..You will enjoy it! HH714

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gc4279 @ Mar 20 2008, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BackCountryHNTR @ Mar 20 2008, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a bit pricey for my taste, but that is just me...
[/b]
Nosmally I'm the same way. In the past I have just used tablets for my drinking water but last year my wife got a pack and came with me on a couple trips. At Christmas I bought my grandson a pack and he plans on going a couple times this summer. Keeping the newbies happy is my main reason for getting a pump. I figure that for half the wieght and three times the flow rate of most pumps I'll pay the extra bucks for a change.
Gary C.
[/b][/quote]

That makes sense Gary. It will be a good investment! The "newbies" will enjoy helping with that chore...good way to keep them involved.

gc4279

Reaction score
I had sent am email to MSR customer service a couple of days ago asking when they would be at retailers. I received a response yesterday telling me that they would begin shipping by the end of the month. He mentioned that Campmor and REI are among those already on there list.
Gary C.

brushstomper

Reaction score
Looks pretty good! Might have to put that on the wish list too.

gc4279

Reaction score
I got my MSR Hyperflow filter from REI in the mail a couple weeks ago. I have not had it out for a real field test but I did try it out hear at the house. So far I really like it, it is super lite and pumps water like no other filter I have seen(fast). The only drawback is that it requires cleaning way to often. The directions recomend back flushing everyday after heavy use. It's easy to disassemble and reassemble without any tools but I still don't like the fact that I need to back fush so often. Time and use will tell if it is too much trouble. I just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone else thinking about buying one.
Gary C.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
You did not have to backflush it after pumping just tap water at your house did you? It would not be much use if you had to pump from an algae or silt laden water source -- I would think you would have to set aside a bit of filtered water to accomplish the backflush without contaminating the unit -- or is that not how it works?

gc4279

Reaction score
jackrabbit, no it didn't need backflushing after use here at the house. The opperating manual recommends backflushing after 8lts or about once a day. I interpeted that as daily after heavy use. In order to backflush you need to unscrew the base and flip the two check valves, reassemble, and then backflush with filtered water. Afterwards you disassemble again and correct the direction of the check valves. It is a simple procedure and does not take much time to do. Like I wrote above, the thing is very lite and pumps water very fast. Everything seems to have it's trade offs and I guess I won't know until I've had it on a few trips to know if it's worth it. When reading all the descriptions of this filter before buying one I was convinced it would be the ultimate filter for backpacking. It still may be but I wanted to let everyone know that it did require extra maintenance.
Gary C.

Kit Fox

Reaction score
I'm not trying to derail the subject, but I felt it was a good idea, to mention water filters are not a "cure all." The proper way to treat water is to both filter, then purify it.

http://www.rei.com/learn/Camping/rei/learn/camp/filter3f

Over time, filters have proven that they reliably protect wilderness travelers from the most common waterborne pathogens found in the North American backcountry: giardia and cryptosporidium. Still, purifiers and their antiviral feature offer an elevated level of security.

To fully disinfect suspect water using a water filter, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 1) mechanically filtering the water, 2) treating it with a halogen (chlorine or an iodine solution), 3) letting it sit 15 to 60 minutes, 4) then drinking. For more details on this process, and a discussion of what pathogens may be found in backcountry water, refer to our Water Treatment clinic.

gc4279

Reaction score
PowDuck, thanks' for the link. It's much better than my simple description.
Gary C.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom