New non Toxic loads - HEVI SHOT

arizona jim

Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone had a chance to use this stuff yet? I ordered some from their web site recently and was wondering if it shoots more like lead or steel? Does it hit hard? I ordered Goose #2 & Duck # 4 in 3" 12 gauge.

www.hevishot.com

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
If you're a good long pass shooter the stuff is the real deal, but if you can't shoot the longer overhead shot just throw 7 quarters at a time into the pond.  It will be easier on your shoulder.  Seriously, if you can't shoot HV steel well at 40-60 yards you probably won't get your money's worth out the stuff.  If you can shoot the long end, I think you'll find Hevi-Shot to be as good as lead.

DanD

Reaction score
Jim I have thought about giving some at try.  Let us know how it shoots, I'd be quite interested.  It is very dense even more so than lead but it is also just about as hard as the steel on your gun.  I'd be quite interested in your comments on how well it shoots.  From what I've read it really seem to pattern fairly densely (I think that's a word?) this of course changes with every different gun but if you could give your opinion on how it shoots in the field.

WingSetter

Reaction score
Me and Kid Creole shot and patterened this shot.  Very strong a long range with good pattern.  BUT, your gun is going to kick like a MULE.   Shot through a 3 1/2 inch Winchester X-2.  Patterened at 40 yards, tight shot thru 2 sides of a  big piece of tin. Looks to be great for big geese, and some high flying ducks.  If you field test on your own let us know how you do.

limit7

Reaction score
I think the party next to me last week must have been using heavier shot.  They were
shooting everything within 120 yards.  I love the heavier shot so long as you use it when the
ducks are decoying.  The temptation is to skybust is pretty great and every one is really in
trouble if you make a 70 yards shot.  For every long shot you make, you probably miss
10.  To be honest with you, I went back to steel.  If they are decoying and you can shoot,
you will get your birds.  Unless of course the heavier shot get cheaper, then all bets are
off.........

Latest Posts

Top Bottom