New Pickup

Brnsvllyjohn

I need to replace my F150 by the end of this year. Probably going to buy in November. My truck has 135,000 miles and runs fine but I am overloading it the way I currently travel. According to the specs on most new 1/2 ton trucks they are rated for more load than my current one is. Some as much as 1000 pounds more. I will have to drive one of those heavier duty 1/2 tons to make sure the ride is OK. I was going to buy a 3/4 ton but after riding in both a new Ford and a new Chevy I am having second thoughts. For me if the ride is not good it is a deal beaker. I am going to test drive the new Toyota as well as the new Nissan Titan. My requirements are being able to carry 1000 pounds in the truck bed and still tow 7000 pounds. My quad actually weighs 700 and my dry trailer weight is 4500 but I want a nice margin of safety and want to add gear and not be too concerned about what my gear weighs. I figure the tongue weight on my trailer is around 600 pounds.
I am open to any brands that will do what I need and have a decent ride. I am going to drive a couple more 3/4 ton trucks just to see but if I don't find something smoother than I have it will be a 1/2 ton pickup again. For those of you that have trucks that you think have a great ride what are they?
The other possibility of course is to buy a heavy duty truck and then spend 2500 on after market seats. I am trying to avoid doing that.

My wife says no diesels.

huntingcali

I recently purchased a Ram 2500 4x4 in gas. Extremely happy with the vehicle. Bought is brand new on EBay from a dealer in N Carolina and had it shipped to CA. Saved about $10K. Highly recommend the truck.

Attachments

Planetcat

Ive had my Ram 2500 since new in 2004. It has been the most reliable vehicle Ive ever owned. It rides fine for me, but its no cadillac. I recently test drove a new 2017 hemi Ram 1500. With the new air ride suspension, it rode like a caddie and has 390 hp to boot. My hunting buddy bought a Ram Rebel 1500, and it is well laid out for hunting with a great interior, but much pricier than the big horn package.

I also like to hunt out of my 2010 hemi grand cherokee. It tows all my toys with ease, is very good off road, and rides great on road. The gas mileage is horrible tho. :(

Common Sense

I bought a new Ram Mega-Cab in 2007. Very pleased with it. We've put a little over 150,000 miles on it. But it does ride like a truck.

Brnsvllyjohn

The Dodge 2500 isn't a smooth enough ride IMHO. The local Dodge salesman actually told me that I shouldn't try to haul a 700 pound quad in a 1/2 ton Dodge. He said it wasn't designed for hauling. ???? He said I would have to buy a 2500 to haul a quad. The other problem is he told me the bed is 74 inches. That is way too short. 78-79 inches is too short but workable. Of the 3/4 ton trucks I have been in in the last few months the Fords were the best but not as good as an F150 or a Chevy 1500.
I drove the Nissan Titan this morning it was decent and then I drove another Ford F150. You can get the new 1/2 ton trucks rated to carry 2200 pounds or more in additional payload and that is plenty for my needs. Towing ratings can be well over 10,000 lbs for 1/2 ton trucks and my trailer is only 4500 dry. My current F150 is rated at almost 9000 but the payload is only around 1400.

TheGDog

I suspect that dealer was just telling you that because he sees an older Gentleman and foolishly believes you're gullible. People put 3 and even 4 MX bikes into pickup beds all...the..time! So you figure that's in the same ballpark weight-wise.

The only issue with bed-length can be that if the wheelbase of your vehicles you load into the bed is such that the rear tires would rest upon the tailgate, that *could* possibly present an issue only because tailgates themselves have a separate rating of how much weight they can have pressing-down upon them. Some use just cables as their supporting structures, while others use jointed flat plate bars. To my thinking those jointed/pivoting flat-plate bars would undoubtedly be able to support a sh!t-ton more weight then the cables with crimped-ends can.

So take that into consideration in your decision making process... how much weight the tailgate itself, separate from the pickup bed... can allow for. And remember that even if the wheels of your vehicle DO rest upon the tailgate... you're only going to be having something like 60% of the offroad vehicles weight bearing-down on those rear tires anyway. Offroad vehicles are typically weight-biased to have a lighter front-end. At least in 2-wheeled motos they are. Not sure how different it is with quads. For MX bikes it's typically like a 60/40 or 70/30 weight bias split. Something like that from what I remember.

FTTPOW

Last spring I got a new F-250 Super Duty 4x4 with the 6.2 gas. It's made a trip from Ohio to Montana pulling a 5000 lb trailer with the bed loaded and a trip to Colorado pulling a 14' enclosed v-nose trailer that was full of hunting/camping/horse gear. The gas mileage sucked big time, but it was transferring a bunch of cargo. I pull a skid loader around here and it's got plenty of power and suspension. Without pulling a trailer it gets about 15 mpg hi-way, 12 mpg local driving. It's a good thing I didn't get it for the gas mileage. It does appear to be getting better now that I have 20,000 miles on it. I really like the comfort when driving.

TheGDog

How did you arrange to have it shipped and what was the shipping charge? If you don't mind me asking. (My 2002 Ford Explorer SportTrac is starting to look its age.)

TheGDog

BTW gents... since I want more interior space to be able to change my hunting gear and not feel all horribly cramped in the back seat... which of the Full-Size Super Cabs has the roomiest interior and plushest feeling seats?

adam32

The Dodge 2500 isn't a smooth enough ride IMHO. The local Dodge salesman actually told me that I shouldn't try to haul a 700 pound quad in a 1/2 ton Dodge. He said it wasn't designed for hauling. ???? He said I would have to buy a 2500 to haul a quad. The other problem is he told me the bed is 74 inches. That is way too short. 78-79 inches is too short but workable. Of the 3/4 ton trucks I have been in in the last few months the Fords were the best but not as good as an F150 or a Chevy 1500.
I drove the Nissan Titan this morning it was decent and then I drove another Ford F150. You can get the new 1/2 ton trucks rated to carry 2200 pounds or more in additional payload and that is plenty for my needs. Towing ratings can be well over 10,000 lbs for 1/2 ton trucks and my trailer is only 4500 dry. My current F150 is rated at almost 9000 but the payload is only around 1400.
If the Dodge bed is too short then the F150 and 1500 will also be too short...The F150 bed is teeny tiny.

Dodge 1500 crew cab with the 6'4" bed and the ecodiesel would be a sweet truck...

Brnsvllyjohn

I just spent 3 days and 30 hours riding in the passenger seat of a new Chevy 2500. Not good for my back or anything else for that matter. I realize that Devil's Gardens does not have very many smooth roads but it was a realistic test for what I expect a pickup to handle. If I can't ride in a pickup in rough country then I don't need it. Chevy is out. The Ram trucks I have ridden in were worse.
I have been told I will not be happy with ay 3/4 ton truck without replacing the seats.

We saw more horses than deer in X2. Outfitters are setting up camps and some were taking clients out for scouting already. We were up at 5am and scouted until dark on Sunday and until noon on Monday. Eliminating ground is also important when scouting. I think we eliminated some areas. We won't go back until the 14th so they can hunt the last week of the season.

OPAH

Are you sold on a truck ? My 2005 GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton 8.1 L 4X4, have tons of room and power, all the fun stuff CD and such in the back seats. and is super comfortable. and for being a big long ass 4X4 not sure if you are familiar with the Big Bear area but its been to gold mountain and over twice.

Brnsvllyjohn

Well I finally purchased my new truck a couple of weeks ago. I drove everything I could think of. My decision came down to Ford or Chevy. I decided to get a 3/4 ton truck and see if I can live with the ride. If not I will change the seats out to an air ride type. I am slowly lowering the tire pressure to see when the low pressure alarm goes of. Nothing yet and I have dropped the pressure from 75 to 55 and no alarms so far. I will also be replacing my gel seat pad with thicker newer version.
My thinking was as the grandkids get older I may go to a side by side UTV and I was afraid the 1/2 ton trucks would not be enough. I also decided I wanted an 8 foot bed so I don't have to remove my tailgate when hauling the Polaris and towing the travel trailer. My wife says my truck is now too big. I went with the short extended cab version to try to keep it as short as possible but still get the 8 foot box.
No real complaints yet but I only have 100 miles on it since I bought it. The Sync 3 system is way more than I will ever figure out. I was told to just download the app for my phone and then it will do even more. I have never downloaded an app for anything and probably won't bother. All I cared about was getting it paired with my phone and setting the radio stations. The Chevy salesman spent more time telling me everything the Chevy computer would do than taking about anything else. I finally told him I didn't care about that. He was my age so I was surprised he spent so much time showing me the computer stuff.
My Ford has a manual transfer case and rear locking differential. Those are things I care about. 6.2 gas since no more than I drive it would take me ten years to save the $9,000 cost of the diesel. I may not hunt that long.

Brnsvllyjohn

20171207_154959.jpg

Really tough trucks to be able to be driven this way. So far I have added nerf bar steps, a bed mat and I had to purchase a slide in hitch with a lot more drop so I could tow the boat. Floor mats are on order. I think rather than a camper shell I will get a tonneau cover this time. Either rolling or folding not sure which one yet.

If I don't cover the bed nothing will stay in driven this way.

No idea why sometimes the phone posts pictures correctly and other times you get this.

Last edited:

OPAH

Too early on the morning to be looking at an upside down truck ! its a Ford correct

Top Bottom