New Pintail Harvest Strategy - Pintail Limits

Canman

Reaction score
The Feds have come out with their season recommendations, we will only get one pintail, but for the entire season.

AHM Summary

I have attached a link to the new pintail harvest management strategy. By looking at the graph on page 28, Figure 11, I can only interpret that we may never get more than one pintail. If you look at the graph, even if the BPOP of pintail is 7 million if they do not nest far enough South then we still only would get one pintial.

In my opinion this is bogus science. The curve is based on a 6% growth rate (my guess anyway). That's the only way to explain less opportunity for more pintail in the bag as the BPOP goes up (notice the downward slope of the curve as the BPOP increases). Why do you still need a 6% growth rate if the population is 7 million? What should we shoot for as an optimal Pintail BPOP?

Our only hope would be that the pintails nest in the Dakotas. The farther south they nest the better chance we have of more birds in the bag as the latitude is supposed to represent hatch success.

The model itself seems counter intuitive and is a crock of $#$@!! if you ask me. We have got to do something to change the way they look at pintail harvest. Total BPOP for pintail is 3.5 million and we can shoot one. BPOP for green wing teal and widgeon right around 2.5 million each and we can shoot seven. Where's the logic in this?

Who's pockets are getting lined with money for the resurgence of the pintail, pintail studies and purchase of pintail breeding habitat. Could it be that these organizations are the ones that are keeping us from more harvest opportunities in order to line their own pockets? Are the goals fo the NAWMP for pintail realistic given the habitat and farming practices currently used in Canada? Why is hunting additive for pintails but not additive for every other species? Just some things to think about.

All I know is that the opportunities should be increased. But for that to happen we're going to have to fight and make a bunch of noise.

Lujack

Reaction score
You are not going to get much of an argument. The feds are screwed up, we know it, and we have to live with it.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I've beat this horse for years. I actually wrote an article about this exact subject a few years back. Let's face it, the feds can't regulate anything (predators, farmers, weather, etc.) but hunters. Last season we were allowed 1 pintail. This year pintail increased by over 1 million (32%) and we still get 1 pintail. So lets see, next year we increase by 18% and we get two? 18% is nothing, we lost 500,000 pintail a few yeras back to Avian botulism in one summer. CANMAN, I know your right about one thing, because I've had this arguement with DELTA WATERFOWL. If the Pintail aren't in the Missouri Couteau, there must not be any Pintail. Just because you've been counting ducks a certain way for 55 years doesn't mean it's right. Their logic is absurd! But hey, lets look at the bright side, we're allowed 2 hooded mergansers this season.

P.S. Maybe I'll go to Mexico, I can shoot 30 sprig a day there. More great logic!

Top Bottom