NEW PIR (From GE)

gizz

Reaction score
**UPDATE**
After posting this NcBowhunter and Spectr17 ID'd this PIR as being a copycat of the Lamson Holmes already listed.
I found this PIR at Lowes a couple months ago and just got around to messing with it. I really don't need to build any cams right now so maybe some of you newbie cammer's might want to check it out. It is made by GE and comes with the all-weather PIR and light socket hooked to the PIR like a phone jack. Uses a single 9V battery and should last a long time. I tore the socket apart to get to the good stuff and found a small IC board in there after messing with it I found it "clicks" like a relay/switch and I found 2 point that open and close with motion. You'll see where I sloppily soldered in 2 green wires to test it with an OWL/PF. It worked fine. Could be another option. Cost was 24.95 at Lowes.
Check out the pics and see what you think. First two pics are of the packing cover (sensor/socket removed). I haven't done much with this sensor so I wouldn't run out and buy a bunch. I may get around to building another cam with this sensor to see how it does. It has a dip swith for a 1 or 10 minute light on time and i believe a dip for night or day/night operation. Looks good so far.

(Edited by gizz at 5:19 pm on June 21, 2001)

(Edited by gizz at 5:50 pm on June 21, 2001)

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
That sensor is the same as the Lamson Homes PIR that Jesse has listed on his site.  I modified one to ring a wireless doorbell when motion was detected, and it worked perfectly.  It is a nice sensor and has a nice waterproof casing too.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Gizz,

That PIR looks just like the Lamson 3100. Same case, dip switches, RJ-11 telco jacks etc. Maybe they are making them for GE too? Price point is the same too.

gizz

Reaction score
I was wondering if it compared to the Lamson. I never saw one before but anyways that's good to know. Apparantly all PIRS have been hacked and the circle starts over
NCbow - how long does the 9V battery last?

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
Gizz,
I've been using the same battery for several weeks, and it still seems to be working.  However, I'm not using the same modifications as on the site, so I think mine uses less power.

BWT, I'm trying to decide if I will send my next roll to snapfish.  How did it turn out for you?

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
Never mind, I just noticed that message you sent.  That messeger thing is pretty cool.

gizz

Reaction score
NcBowhunter -  
For record, I sent the pics in the prepaid mailer late last friday. I got an email late Tuesday that they had arrived. By Wednesday afternoon/evening I got an email with a link to the pics online. I have not received the actual pics yet so I can't attest the quality of them. Seemed to work fairly quickly. Not counting the weekend - 4 days and the best part, 1st 3 rolls free!

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Hello folks,

the GE unit is exactly the same as the lamson holmes unit.

i have used a couple of them and even had a lamson and the GE side by side on the table while working on them and they seem to be made by the same company out of china from what names are on the packaging.

i like the pir's because of them already being for the 9 volt battery and the distance they work.
on the package it says they will reach 50 feet but with my camera units and doing field testing they will easily reach 80 to 85 feet without any modifications.

i simply make a 4 second one shot timer on a small pc board which i have the relay mounted on this board as well. then i use only the ground side of the timer to sense the motion detected from these units and this goes into the 4 second delay.
also i have a super bright led (500 mcd ) which is pulled from the power source of the timer for the 4 seconds that it is timing down(stays on for 4 seconds) this makes it very easy to see even in bright daylight when setting it up to see if it will take the pic in that exact spot you want.

i have just about quit using all the pir's except the lamson and the GE due to them being easier to adapt into the camera units and having the extra range over the RS#49-425
less work and they are already setup for the 9 volts which gives good battery life.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Anybody measure the Current draw?  LOL

Yeh! Yeh!   here he goes again.......

Tinhorn

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
We're not going to tell you Tinhorn ... don't want to get you started again.

Top Bottom