New Reloader

taxcollector

Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and got into reloading. Loaded up my first batch last night and shot em today. Wow! accuracy is great! I loaded a 280AI w/145 LRX and 60 gn of H4831. I have no idea what the velocity is, but, it is well under MOA. It was very revealing to see how loads grew tighter from 57, 58, 59 then 60 gns. Now, at least, I'm capable of Lead Free hunting.

solus

Reaction score
congrats. Ill give you the basic advice I tell all new guys reloading. Be careful and use a single stage. The slower the better cause you make less mistakes. If you use the same brass head stamp and all the brass trimmed to the same length itll be more accurate and also usually the slower bullet the more accurate it is. As for bullets; some bullets need a minimum velocity to expand on impact. Check with your bullet manufacturer. I know for a fact barnes need a minimum velocity to expand. Thats why some people swear barnes sucks for hunting. Its because it wasnt loaded properly per manufacturers specs.

taxcollector

Reaction score
Got the Rockcrusher, RCBS dies, a wilson trimmer, Lyman prep center, and getting a RCBS loadmaster 1500. I was lucky to already have a sonic cleaner. When I was buying custom ammo (barnes TTSX stuff) I would order the lighter bullets for caliber to keep the velocity up. I'm gonna need to find a crono for my 280ai load and see what the speed is.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I have found that when loading the Barnes, the higher end is where you want to be. Obviously it is incumbent on you to work up to that level carefully. Be advised that you are a full 5 gr. over standard 280 load data for a 140 gr. bullet per one of my manuals. I realize your chamber is an AI; just be careful of pressure signs. Velocities are going to be over 3,100 fps IMO and more likely close to 7mm mag at around 3,250 or so.

And just as an aside: a lot of the complaints about the Barnes have to do with the old X bullet, which had it's troubles. The new TSX and TTSX line is simply fantastic; assuming your gun will shoot it. Fouling is still a significant issue in some guns so be aware that frequent cleaning--THOROUGH cleaning--may be in order.

taxcollector

Reaction score
I switched to TTSX when I shot a deer with my Savage 99 300 savage and the 150 gr Corelokt blew up on his shoulder. I realize folks have been using them for years, but, once you loose faith... Ordered some custom TTSX 130 gr and all deer since then have been DRT. I looked for any HP signs and didn't see a thing. Primer looked good. I'll keep an eye though.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
You did good to go light and fast. That 130 gr. TTSX is one wicked bullet. I killed a nice coastal 3 X 4 at 325 yards with that bullet in a .300 win mag handload. You don't aim over with that bullet until you get out to 400+ yards.

Top Bottom