New Rifle 6.5x284 Shehane

ironworker

Reaction score
I ordered a BR rifle from Jim Borden late last year and I just got it last week.

The rifle is chambered in 6.5x284 Shehane, it comes with a Dave Tooley stock, Borden right bolt left port action, Jewell trigger set to 7 Oz, solid aluminum Kelby base, Night Force NSX 12x42x56 scope, Borden muzzle break, Shillen Barrel.
Total weight of the rifle was right @ 17 lbs.

I have a couple sorry ass pics, I will get some better one tonight.

I expect this gun will be a contender in the 1000 yard bench rest game.

Rich

PORCH

Reaction score
Great looking gun...where is the range results? What is the purpose of a right bolt left port action?

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Left port is pretty common in the bench rest game.
Very nice rifle.
Targets yet?
And some closeups?
Is it glue in or bolt down.

ironworker

Reaction score
Guy's, the rifle shoots excellent! The machining tolerances Jim holds on his rifles are evident in the feel and operation of the entire assembly. Probably my favorite part of the rifle is the Rimrock action. The action is timed with a Jewell 1-1/2 ounce trigger and it works flawless. The action features the patented “Borden Bumps” that result in a very close bolt body to action bore fit when the bolt is closed ( <.001" diametral clearance). The action is bedded and glued into the MBR Tooley stock.

I've spent the last month learning how to make the most accurate ammunition possible (bench rest quality and hunting quality are two different animals) and developing a load the rifle funtions best with. Lucky enough, 6mmbr.com had articles about the 6.5x284 shehane and I was able to get a base line for starting out. I took a three day hiatse from work to shoot over a chrony, take notes and get my ES under 10%, the current load is shooting 3010 FPS with an ES of 7 %.

The barrel utilizes a .290 neck which requires you to turn the necks of the brass. I purchased 500 pieces of 6.5x284 Lapua brass from the same lot, then I painstakingly weighing each piece and seperated them in 1 gr. differences. Using a K&M neck turner and variable drill motor to turn the brass, I turned the necks to .0155 cutting into the shoulder about 40 thou. Next, the flash holes were cut to a consistant uniform using a Sinclair flash hole cutter. Finally, I run the brass through a custom Redding bushing die (removing the mandrel) and bump the shoulder back .001 thou.

Each bullet (sierra match kings 142 gr.) is uniformed using a meplat trimmer, then measured using a comparator and finally weighed and seperated into lots.

Each powder charge is (51.5 grs of Hodgdon H4831SC) weighed to 50 grns. using an RCBS charge master 1500 then transferred to a Dillion MXX-123 where it's trickled up to a preferred load of 51.5 grns.

Cartridges are primed with Federal 210M primers seated .003 below the case head. Each case case is then charged and bullets seated using a Sinclair arbor press.

Unfortunately my local range only has 100 yard stations, shooting at that distance you can cover 5 shots with a dime. This past weekend I drove out to a 300 yard range where I was able to place 5 shots covering them with a silver dollar.
Conditions were less than ideal, in fact the winds were swirling 10 - 15 mph, so all five shots were done under the exact same condition within 3 minutes, learning how to read the wind is probably the hardest thing to do.

Memorial day weekend will be my first BR competition, surely I will have my ass handed to me but I have to start somewhere. I don't expect to make it past the first round, but the experience will be priceless.
I will post up a few more pictures of the rifle and some of the shoot after the holiday.

If you happen to be attending the match be sure and say hello.

Rich

ironworker

Reaction score
Shot the 600 yard match this weekend in extremely windy conditions. The rifle worked flawless and allowed me to win the match with best score and best Agg. Conditions were horrible, steady winds of 14 mph and gusts to 26 mph made shooting harsh at best.
My best 5 shot group was during the worst conditions, a 2.915 MOA @ 600 yards was good enough to take both LG and HG. Other targets were 3.2... and 4.1....

I can't say enough about Jim Borden and the rifles he builds. I called Borden after the match to thank him and order another rifle in 6.5x47 for my sons graduation gift.

The whole experience has left me with the confidence in my shooting skills to take that long shot on big game.

Rich

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Wow.
Sounds like a winner. Borden makes good stuff.
Your loading process is the same one I use minus the neck turning.
And that's for hunting rounds. I want the best accuracy possible.

ironworker

Reaction score
If your using the same loading process for your hunting rounds then you have the accurate ammo availible.

I ordered my son a rifle from borden as well. Should be here next week. Next match is 6/22. Pray for wind

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I've been loading my hunting and range rounds like that for years. I worked in a shop and ran with the bench boys for many years. We turned out many rifles using Stolle and Hall actions. Mostly Hart barrels. This was back when the 6x45 6x47 and the PPC's were in vogue.
Fun stuff.

Advertisement

Top Bottom