• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

New Ruger LCR .327 Federal.

Planetcat

I thought I'd breathe some life into this handgun forum and post some pics of my new Ruger lcr in .327 Federal magnum. Been intrigued with this round since it came out, and been waiting on a small, compact, 6-shot, revover chambered in it to be California legal. Not sure what I'm going to use it for just yet. Maybe a dispatch gun for hogs and deer. Way too small for bear protection, even with 130 grain buffalo bore hardcast boolits. Here's some pics and ammo comparison. Left to right: .22 wmr, 9mm, .327 federal, and .357 magnum. Here's some right side up pictures...

View attachment 88556View attachment 88557View attachment 88558

Last edited:

inchr48

Love the 327 Fed. Wish they had a Marlin Lever gun chambered for it.

We have the Ruger snubby, and it's big brother, a Single Seven. In the middle of this pic of Ruger Single Actions:

TheGDog

BTW.. the ballistics numbers for Energy and Velocity at muzzle seem to be almost the same as a .357 so why wouldn't you consider this round as a SHTF Bear backup?

Planetcat

Which .44 do you carry in the woods?
I have an S&W 329 pd. It is incredibly easy to carry - light, not too big, but powerful. Admittedly, it is uncomfortable to shoot. I try to practice with it whenever I can, and I'm not that recoil sensitive, so I feel like it makes for an ideal woods carry weapon for me. I also have a Ruger Redhawk 4" .44 mag. It is very heavy to carry, but great to shoot. I don't carry the Ruger any more in the woods, since I got the Smith. If I'm in the mood for a semi, I'll carry HK USP 45c loaded with .45 super hard cast or Glock 29 10mm. The HK is a great shooting pistol, even with the hot .45 super. Neither compares to the .44 mag though.

inchr48

How does the lcr shoot? Recoil?
I shoot all the 32's in ours. 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, and 327 Federal. It shoots great, with recoil going up in order of the rounds listed.

90 grain wadcutters make for a great plinking load (also have the SP101 in 327).

Our 327 LCR has a pretty good trigger, much better than the 22 WMR we also own.

Planetcat

I shoot all the 32's in ours. 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, and 327 Federal. It shoots great, with recoil going up in order of the rounds listed.

90 grain wadcutters make for a great plinking load (also have the SP101 in 327).

Our 327 LCR has a pretty good trigger, much better than the 22 WMR we also own.
I also have the .22 mag version of the lcr. The trigger on the .327 is so much better than the .22 trigger. Huge difference. The .327 DA trigger is nice.

Where's Bruce?

I have an S&W 329 pd. It is incredibly easy to carry - light, not too big, but powerful. Admittedly, it is uncomfortable to shoot. I try to practice with it whenever I can, and I'm not that recoil sensitive, so I feel like it makes for an ideal woods carry weapon for me. I also have a Ruger Redhawk 4" .44 mag. It is very heavy to carry, but great to shoot. I don't carry the Ruger any more in the woods, since I got the Smith. If I'm in the mood for a semi, I'll carry HK USP 45c loaded with .45 super hard cast or Glock 29 10mm. The HK is a great shooting pistol, even with the hot .45 super. Neither compares to the .44 mag though.
I carry the same sidearm in bear country...saying it uncomfortable to shoot is like saying a kick to your groin is distracting. But in a SHTF worst-case scenario you won't even notice the recoil. I forget I'm wearing it sometimes. It kept a group of sketchy characters I caught walking through our camp at Monache Meadows from getting too close a second time.

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Planetcat

I carry the same sidearm in bear country...saying it uncomfortable to shoot is like saying a kick to your groin is distracting. But in a SHTF worst-case scenario you won't even notice the recoil. I forget I'm wearing it sometimes. It kept a group of sketchy characters I caught walking through our camp at Monache Meadows from getting too close a second time.

[/URL][/IMG]
I carry cross draw in the woods too! It's a great setup, especially when carrying a rifle on the right shoulder.

Planetcat

Today was revolver day at the range for me. Shot the new Ruger LCR .327 magnum, Ruger LCR .22 wmr, and the always fun S&W 329pd.

I was impressed by the .327. I shot it pretty well at 7 yards, but my accuracy was terrible at 10+ yards. I guess i know my limits. Will keep practicing at longer ranges though. I was shooting AE 85 grain soft points, and they have a bit of a whallop too! I am not terribly excited to shoot the buffalo bore 130 grain loads I bought. I generally like the DA trigger on it, also. Smooth shooting revolver and I'd feel confident carrying it. Might try the .32 H&R for something lighter next range trip.

Top Bottom