New Shooter Progression

Roccinante

Reaction score
Today will be the third time out with a rifle, any rifle besides a .22 I had when I was younger. I built a cheap target stand a few days back, I’m excited to get out to some local blm to try it out. Shooting a 7-08 tikka, not a good shot yet, but trying to burn through some free bullets I got when I bought a dye to reload with. My first few loads have been dismal which I expected, more shooter than load I think.

Anyways, trying to use up the rest of my R17, but found some W760 to work with afterwards. I’ll keep you guys posted on progress, hoping to hone my skills both out there and on the forum! Hopefully come October I’ll have a good buck or bear story for everyone! Straight-shooting

Roccinante

Reaction score
I switched a few things up and had some success. I put the scope down to 3x today, I had it at 9x previously. At 100 yards I had 2 inch groups compared to 3inch on my last time out. Good to shave off an inch and gain some confidence. I know it’s not inch groups but I’m hoping to shave off another 1/2-1 inch my next time out.

Also, shot prone for the first time. The $10 dollar target I built out of 2x4’s worked great, extremely happy in how it came out. Itching to get out backpacking in D14 now that everything is coming together, I’ll post that on another thread when it gets closer.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Sounds like you are making progress. This may sound odd but for me and my son we both shoot our best groups at 200 yards at the mid range power of whatever scope we have so around 5 to 6 power. The groups are not smaller than our 100 yard groups, they are the same size. About 1.25 inches at 200. I only shoot about that at 100. So at 200 I am less than 1 MOA. I think I concentrate more at 200 and I think not being at max power I feel like I am not moving as much. Shooting less than 1 MOA at 200 gives me more confidence than shooting 1.25 at 100. This is using a small bag rest and not a complete large sand bag set up. I have some small bags I carry in my shooting bag. It works well enough for me to practice at the range.

I hunt using crossed shooting sticks for occasions when prone won't work and I will shoot off of the sticks at targets a few times per year. I can do almost as well off of the the sticks as I can from a bench. In the field I go prone any chance I get so target practicing that way helps.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Having a good trigger is a big part of being accurate. Tikka has some of the best triggers from the factory but most change the spring for even better results.

What tikka rifle are you shooting? Is the barrel free floated?

The loads you are shooting can also effect your accuracy. I usually buy 4 or 5 different brands to see if one shoots a lot better then the others. Thats really expensive now with having to use copper and the prices going sky high. Maybe you can find another new 7-08 owner and go in together for several brands of ammo.

Roccinante

Reaction score
Sounds like you are making progress. This may sound odd but for me and my son we both shoot our best groups at 200 yards at the mid range power of whatever scope we have so around 5 to 6 power. The groups are not smaller than our 100 yard groups, they are the same size. About 1.25 inches at 200. I only shoot about that at 100. So at 200 I am less than 1 MOA. I think I concentrate more at 200 and I think not being at max power I feel like I am not moving as much. Shooting less than 1 MOA at 200 gives me more confidence than shooting 1.25 at 100. This is using a small bag rest and not a complete large sand bag set up. I have some small bags I carry in my shooting bag. It works well enough for me to practice at the range.

I hunt using crossed shooting sticks for occasions when prone won't work and I will shoot off of the sticks at targets a few times per year. I can do almost as well off of the the sticks as I can from a bench. In the field I go prone any chance I get so target practicing that way helps.
That makes a lot of sense about the confidence of being able to shoot less than 1 MOA at 200. I haven’t shot paper that far but have shot steel out to 300. I love the idea of sticks too, going to try in the future for sure. Next time I’m out tomorrow I’ll go for 200 on paper. Thanks John

Roccinante

Reaction score
Having a good trigger is a big part of being accurate. Tikka has some of the best triggers from the factory but most change the spring for even better results.

What tikka rifle are you shooting? Is the barrel free floated?

The loads you are shooting can also effect your accuracy. I usually buy 4 or 5 different brands to see if one shoots a lot better then the others. Thats really expensive now with having to use copper and the prices going sky high. Maybe you can find another new 7-08 owner and go in together for several brands of ammo.

Thank you spectr, I took your advice and adjusted it lighter. I have a t3x and it is free floated I believe, I’ll have to check. I have been shooting 140 gr interlocks with RL17. I have some 120 and 140 gr Barnes ttsx to try next with W760. Hoping it will be a good combo!! I’ll buy some new brands when the stores calm down too, still a pain to get through.

Top Bottom