New SoCal hunters looking for squirrel and/or rabbit

MaxQ

Reaction score
This past Sunday I took my two boys (ages 7 and 9) to Bass Pro for the hunter ed class. They both passed and will be getting their license soon. I'd like to get them out for squirrel or rabbit but could really use some advice for locations. I'm leaning more towards squirrel as I think they will have an easier time with these. We live in So. Cal., near Pasadena. My understanding is that the closest place for squirrels is to head up to Kern County. I'm not familar with that area though. Any suggestions on locations to hunt up there? Also, if any of you know of some good spots in So. Cal. for rabbit I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know. Right now my kids are very excited about this and I really want them to have some success on their first hunt, or at least see the game they are after. Thanks!

Robbos

Reaction score
I'm going to take my lil' girl to Hunter ed. next year. She is 9 and most likely shares the same enthusiasm for hunting as your boys. Just take them to Palmdale/Lancaster or over to the hills near Hesperia/Victorville/Apple Valley and you will find plenty of rabbits, ground squirrels. For tree squirrels you will have to head North to be legal.

Toua70

Reaction score
Hey MaxQ. Kinda in the same boat. Haven't done much hunting ever since I moved to California. Its a lot different from Minnesota. So many places are restricted and I'm having a hard time figuring out where I can hunt legally and others aren't really helpful on calguns.net so hopefully here, I'll find/meet friendlier people with the same common interest.

RTG

Reaction score
Hey MaxQ. Kinda in the same boat. Haven't done much hunting ever since I moved to California. Its a lot different from Minnesota. So many places are restricted and I'm having a hard time figuring out where I can hunt legally and others aren't really helpful on calguns.net so hopefully here, I'll find/meet friendlier people with the same common interest.
Hey dude, Go Vikings, Wild and Twins!!! Our Vikings must defeat the Packers this Sunday. Send me a "PM" and let me know what area you live in and I may be able to help. Skol!

Top Bottom