New to California

Masterson82

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Chris and I have been hunting pretty much my entire life. I am from New Mexico and recently got stationed in central California. I hunt just about anything I can but so far have only done dove hunting in the local area. I have a deer tag for D-6 this year and I am looking forward to getting up to the mountains. This is one of the best forums I’ve come across and I’m looking forward to conversing with everyone.

essmanfam2

Reaction score
Welcome to CA, and I'm sorry! I'm am in the Central Valley as well, but have not hunted in 6. Good luck to you!

Masterson82

Reaction score
Welcome to CA, and I'm sorry! I'm am in the Central Valley as well, but have not hunted in 6. Good luck to you!
Thanks for the welcome, I’m glad to be here. I don’t thinks it’s that bad here, I think California is very underrated. Good luck to you as well and I will let you know how 6 goes for me. What unit do you usually hunt? If you don’t mind me asking.

essmanfam2

Reaction score
I mostly hunt upland birds but I usually end up in 8 or 9 with my sons for deer season. They both have 9 this year and I have a 13. My deer hunting experience is more like hiking with a rifle.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Central California is great, Bay Area and LA is different.
You have lots of public land, start scouting now. I don’t know anything about D-6, but go buy a box of shells from the mom and pop sporting goods stores in your area, and talk to them.
There’s probably a sportsmen’s club in your area, join it.

JohnCo

Reaction score
I hunt D6 sometimes and it gets a good amount of hunting pressure, but you'll be able to find deer if you get off the roads and do some hiking and glassing.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you hunt a D zone on opening weekend don't get too discouraged by the large crowds you will see. Sometimes openings can be a zoo. The last couple of bucks I shot in a D zone were taken in the middle or near the end of the season. Way less hunters and you can hunt the way you like much easier. I still hunt openers and probably always will and I have taken a few deer on opening weekends but middle of the season is much better hunting as far as the crowds go. If you get snow during the season and you still have a tag do your best to go hunt in the first snow of the season. Rain can be almost as good.

Masterson82

Reaction score
Central California is great, Bay Area and LA is different.
You have lots of public land, start scouting now. I don’t know anything about D-6, but go buy a box of shells from the mom and pop sporting goods stores in your area, and talk to them.
There’s probably a sportsmen’s club in your area, join it.
I have been scouting in an area I want to hunt up there, been up there three times already and plan on a few more trips. I will definitely look into a sportsman’s club though. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Masterson82

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you hunt a D zone on opening weekend don't get too discouraged by the large crowds you will see. Sometimes openings can be a zoo. The last couple of bucks I shot in a D zone were taken in the middle or near the end of the season. Way less hunters and you can hunt the way you like much easier. I still hunt openers and probably always will and I have taken a few deer on opening weekends but middle of the season is much better hunting as far as the crowds go. If you get snow during the season and you still have a tag do your best to go hunt in the first snow of the season. Rain can be almost as good.
Thanks for the welcome I have definitely heard about crowds on the opener, I will be up there but have already decided to do a later season hunt and let things settle down. I am really hoping to get a little snow for sure just not too much to where it closes down the roads. I plan on scouting some lower elevations as well in case that happens. Thanks for the advice hopefully it’s a good year and I will definitely let you guys know how it goes.

Masterson82

Reaction score
I hunt D6 sometimes and it gets a good amount of hunting pressure, but you'll be able to find deer if you get off the roads and do some hiking and glassing.
I have taken a few scouting trips up there and have seen deer so I’m very hopeful. I think I saw almost as many bear as I did deer, might have to get a tag just in case. I will definitely be taking your advice and get as far back away from the roads as possible. Thanks a lot.

k-thug

Reaction score
Chris, welcome to California. You mentioned that you got “stationed” here. Which I’m assuming your are a military guy. If that is the case look into hunts on military land not accessible to the public. Otherwise the Central Valley is surrounded by opportunities, you just need to put in the time to find them.

Top Bottom