NEW TO CALIFORNIA

Game Manager

Reaction score
I am a U.S. Marine recently transferred to the Monterey area looking for any and all information on where the nearest duck hole is at. I have recently introduced the sport to my 15 year old son and am anxiously awaiting for the season to begin. By the way, when is it?  I am coming from Kansas City, MO.

mudroller

Reaction score
I know there are ducks on ponds at Ft. Hunter Liggett, I don't know about hunting them though. Closest refuge is in Los Banos area I think. Welcome to Calif.,  land of fruits and nuts.

Fubar

Reaction score
GameManager   On behalf of all the other fruits and nuts I would like to welcome you to CA and the Forum. Jesses hunting page has a lot of information on hunting. You should be able to find all the info you need there. Most of the better duck hunting will be in the central valley. Unless you have access to private property you will have to hunt the refuges like the rest of us. They have a system for drawing a reservation and have first come first serve (depending which one you go to) for reservations that dont show up.        Fubar

MQ

Reaction score
There is a wildlife area at the end of the Salinas River that a buddy of mine shot at a couple times. Not great action, but it's a place to go. Also there is a wildlife area at Moss Landing. Further to the east are the Volta, Los Banos, San Luis, Salt Slough and Kesterson refuges that have substanially more birds.

Z-man

Reaction score
Welcome to Cali, and thanks for your service to the country.  I would check with the local DFG office to see what they say.  They can give a list of the refuges.  Just one nuts opinion.

Jay

Reaction score
The DFG sets the regs in late August.

stickchucker

Reaction score
New to california from Montana living in the Saramento area  just need a little push in the right direction to locate some spring toms would appreciate any help

(Edited by stickchucker at 10:29 am on Jan. 12, 2002)

THBailey

Reaction score
Either make friends with someone who owns 20 or more acres on or around Highway 49 or get some maps from the federal government offices on Cottage Way just east of Watt Avenue and scout out the very high BLM holdings and/or the very low National Forest land.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom