New to coyote hunting

South

Reaction score
Thought I would give this 'yote hunting a try, seeing as how their populations seem to be going unchecked around here.  I have seen and heard a number of the critters while turkey/deer/rabbit hunting so I know their in the area.  I bought a cottontail tape, now what?  When and where to set up?  How long/loud to call?  and any other advice to get me going.

Thanks in advance!

yotegetter

Reaction score
South,
My stands are no longer than 15 mins. and have to be as quiet as possible. There's a lot of things that you should know for coyote hunting. You should browse the varmint hunting threads on JHP to get some tips. Lots of info in here. If you live in CA you should try to make it out to Arrowhead. You can get paired up with someone that is experienced. There's quite a few of us that have hunted coyote for some time now and could provide you with some very useful tips at the hunt.

EVAN III

Reaction score
   I'm sure not a pro, but I can say that there are some very good videos that will help you learn to call in yotes. My first trip turned out to be my first yote. Check out my post in this forum. "first yote" if you want to hear the story. I was surprised to find that the stuff I saw in the videos really worked for me. Good luck. If you can you should go to the arrowhead yote hunt. Sounds like there will be plenty of pros there to help you. Also I learned alot from the people on this site. This site is full of helpful people

songdog

Reaction score
Best thing to do it get out and try it.  A $5 hand call and just about any gun from your safe will do.  The more stands you make the more you will learn.

Check out a bunch of the earlier threads.  Plenty of good info there.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
I have a web page with a few ideas on coyote hunting. It is probably enough to get you started, but only hits the high points. Coyote hunting sure is a lot of fun and it is very easy to get hooked.

Dakota

Reaction score
The distressed rabbit call is the easiest call to use of all the manual calls.  I have been know to flare ducks two states away while duck calling, but anchored a coyote on my first attempt.  I don't stick to a calling area more than 20 minutes for coyote.  But for cats I will spend 30 minutes or more.  

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom