new to flyfishing

solus

Reaction score
So I decided to learn flyfishing so that when I go back to Idaho I can fish the snake, salmon and boise river when I can. Any suggestions for rod, rod size, and reel brand?:fishin:

quaildeath

Reaction score
Hey man, a 4-5 weight is good. If you go too light you won't be able to throw streamers well (fun sh__!). If you go too heavy the 10-18 inch trout will not be fun. If you plan on fishing bass definitely keep it at a minimum of a 4-5 weight. Some will say that is too light for bass. This guidance is for trout. Steelhead and salmon have much different requirements...heavier, 6-7 weights on up.

It's all relative though as in you can land a 4 lb trout on 2 lb test or a 8 lb bass on 4 lb test.

Suggest hitting His and Hers in Newport or Bob Marriots in Buena Park. Just a place where you can fondle a bunch of rods.

In a reel just make sure you have a disk drag. Large arbor reels are the best because you get more line pickup but they are not necessary. I use a standard for corbina in the surf. The reel is mainly for holding the line in fly fishing, however with bigger fish a good disk drag is nice. If your drag is just so so you can palm the reel for drag like the olden days.

Don't get sold on big stupid money for the gear. I'd say 30-50 on a reel is about right and 70 or more for a rod. Don't shy away from combos from a reputable manufacture.

People are liking the TFO stuff for the warranty. Scientific Angler, Orvis, Cortland etc...Loomis cha ching.
Craigslist has some killer deals too.

Talk to Skyler anymore? He mentioned your jeep after I told him about my XJ. Got out a few times this season with him.

solus

Reaction score
yea I was talking to Skylar when I was at big 5 trying to figure out what the rods weight was apprently they used a regular fishing pole blank for a fly fishing rod instead of a fly fishing blank so I passed on it. Im just trying to get more advice :)

solus

Reaction score
idk skylar said he might be able to make me a rod so Im looking for advice on reels. really which brands and models are good and what is not worth looking at

slanttop357

Reaction score
Hi solus i have quite a few older reels some automatic, some not, Pfluegar/Shakespeare. If they can be used you can have one. I will take some pic,s and post them up if you like.

KTKT70

Reaction score
If you are still looking and going b here on cali a few more weeks. There is a real big show coming to kern county. You can talk to the pros and touch n feel everything. Its the best way to get lots of info in one spot. They even have some classes and a the kern river fly fishing club is there with a cast pond and guys making any kind of fly you can think of.

solus

Reaction score
Kern is a little far away from san bernardino lol i will be here for a few months for sure though

solus

Reaction score
Thank you slantop for the reels i really appreciate them and it was good speaking to you my friend.

solus

Reaction score
Thought Ide share what Slanttop helped me complete. Here is the reel Slanttop gave me(Pflueger Medalist 1494 1/2 CJ) on a Whiteriver Dogwood Canyon 5W 7'6" fly rod. Once again Thank You Slanttop!:smiley-mouse:

View attachment 80044

Last edited:

KTKT70

Reaction score
yea true. 2 hours is a long drive for some things. I for one would go that far for a good show anytime though. But that's me. Glad to see you are set up. Good luck out there and have fun.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Nooooo!....leave the fly rod for Idaho. Get all the hog hunts in while you're here!

Sorry I don't fly fish so I'm no help on that subject.

Last edited:

solus

Reaction score
fhl is closed l2h or else I would have been there all week lol

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
A 5w, 7'6" rod is a very versitile rod, you might be a little undergunned in Idaho, but it will still work, or better said, work you. You should get many many years of fun use out of it, and still be able to pass it on. For Idaho, I'd go with a 7 weight, but also bring the 5weight. If you do get another rod, you might want to look for a 3 to 4 piece rod, as they travel much easier. If you want to go lighter in a stream rod, the Cabelas CTG (shorter fiberglass fly rods), can't be beat, and are currently on sale for $75.00. I got a 2w for myself, and a 5w for a friend. The 5w is kick-ass on the surf perch.

solus

Reaction score
good info thank you. I was looking for info like this :)

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Solus, here is a bit more to consider. A shorter fly rod is much better in dense brush along creeks, streams, and rivers; where as, a long rod will catch more brush, or you line will, as you'll have more line out. However, a longer rod is better for making those long casts. But keep in mind, many times roll casting is what you'll be doing, unless you have a good size clear area to put the line out there, swing it behind you, and then lay it down on the water where you want it. If your actually in a good size river, that doesn't knock you down, or at the beach, you can easily utilize a long rod. But in Ca, unless your at a beach, you just don't get this type of opportunity very often.

slanttop357

Reaction score
Nice glad you used it, did you put some new line on it ? your very welcome have fun.

Last edited:

Top Bottom