New to hunting in Bay Area

Diveguy

Reaction score
I've lived in Oregon all my life, but after several years in the Bay Area (San Rafael) I'm excited to get started pheasant hunting again. Looking online, it looks like Grizzly island, Gray Lodge, Delevan, Colusa,  and Yolo are all good options for me - at least in terms of driving time.

My questions: I haven't entered for a reservation at these areas (we don't do that in Oregon), and I understand that I can go and wait on site for an opening. Is it likely that I can shoot, or will I be waiting in line for a spot all day? Also, any feedback on the above (or additional) areas to hunt pheasant would be apprected. Thanks!

Whoadog

Reaction score
 My favorite time to pheasant hunt at Gray Lodge is the first monday through Friday.  You can walk on any of those days with no problem. I wouldn't hunt there opening weekend for nothing, it is a rat race and with three dogs no thanks.  Good luck.

Brian

MarkL

Reaction score
I've been hunting at Gray Lodge openers the last 12 years. The last couple of years we didn't get in until late in the morning eventhough we were in the sweatline by 11:00 a.m. Friday morning. It does get crowded. Last year was not as good as years past. I spoke to a biologist last week at Gray Lodge and she said they expect a below average total again this year. Good luck!

surfguy

Reaction score
Hey Diveguy,
Welcome to NorCAL..
THe best bet for truly wild birds is to put on your boots and a pair of brushpants and start looking in the "Bypasses" of the Sac Valley. Helluva lotta work but the birds are wild, flush well out or right from underfoot.... everything they're supposed to be & as frustrating as anything I've ever seen
Give me a holler if you like, I'm across the Bay in Pacifica
dadstillsurfs@aol.com

lostagain

Reaction score
Hey Surfguy,
Does the Bypass (I assume you are referring to the Yolo Bypass North of the freeway) require reservations or check in? What days can you shoot there? I see hunters when I'm traveling from Sac to SF. I live in So Cal but do some work in No Cal and the area looks promising. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Top Bottom