New to hunting

captn_tyler

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am kinda new to hunting. My dad took me years ago when I was younger. He got all the licences and drove so I dont know much. I am really getting the itch again to go hunt turkeys. I only have a Rem 870 20 gauge. Is this gun too small for turkeys? What basic equipment do I need. I know I need some camo, whats a good beginner brand? Also where should I go, I dont mind hiking around. Right now I live in so cal, driving up north is not a problem either. Let me know what ya think.

Fastshot

Reaction score
:welcome sign:
Just my 2 cents,
20 gauge is a good caliber for turkey lot’s of turkeys have been taken with a 20ga. Look into getting different brands of turkey loads and pattern them before season to see what loads pattern best in your gun, like 2 3/4in shell might pattern better in you gun than 3in shells would (if you gun handles 3in shells). For a choke, a full or extra full choke would be best. Check Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops for turkey chokes and loads​

Equipment wise, a sitting pad is a must (saves your butt). A hen decoy would be useful (if you take a decoy make sure you have it covered when taking it in the field, so you don't get shot). A map of your hunting area. Blaze orange vest. For call’s, a box call or a slate call (what ever feel’s best, both very easy to use), locater call, a mouth call (a mouth call takes some practice to use it, but very affective).

Camouflage, Long sleeve t-shirt, long pants, face mask, hat, turkey vest or back pack, and maybe a jacket. Mossy oak or Realtree are good patterns to use. Check Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops for apparel.

Hunting area, Forestry and BLM have good hunting opportunities. Here is the link to the Forestry website, it has maps of individual Forestry regions in California to download. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/
This is a link to Geo communicator mapper, this mapper shows you all government lands, Forestry, BLM, etc, (PM me if you have a question about how to use it). http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=MC

When you are getting your hunting license make sure you get the Upland game stamp and HIP(HARVEST INFORMATION PROGRAM) stamps affixed to the license.

Last edited:

Fastshot

Reaction score
Also a good hunting list, i could not find the link so i pasted the list here.
Hope all this help's.

Equipment:

<DIR><DIR>Shotgun
Turkey loads
Turkey choke tube
Patterning targets
Camo blind — where legal
Seat, cushioned stool
Shotgun sling
Turkey decoys — where legal
Compass
Maps
Knife
Ratchet cutters
Insect repellent
Flashlight
Trail ribbon
Binoculars
Camo tape
Cooler
Water bottle
First aid kit

</DIR></DIR>Clothes:

<DIR><DIR>Camo gloves
Camo facenet
Camo paint
Camo make-up
Camo shirt
Camo pants
Camo jacket
Camo turkey vest or pack
Camo cap
Camo socks
Camo undershirts
Waterproof/snakeproof boots
Rain suit

</DIR></DIR>Calls:

<DIR><DIR>Box call
Diaphragm calls
Slate or glass pot & peg call
Glass call
Gobble call
Tube call
Push-pin call
Turpin/wingbone call
Crow/locator call
Owl hooter call
Other locator calls

</DIR></DIR>Call Accessories:

<DIR><DIR>Box call chalk
Sandpaper
Call lanyard
Box call holster
Archery gear:
Bow (camouflaged)
Broadheads
3-D Camo clothes
3-D targets

</DIR></DIR>To Do:

<DIR><DIR>Pattern shotgun
Scout territory
Get landowner permission
Pick landowner gift
Practice calling
Watch instructional videos, read books

</DIR><DIR></DIR><DIR></DIR><DIR></DIR><DIR></DIR><DIR></DIR><DIR></DIR></DIR>

pemop

Reaction score
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.greatvikings.com/gv/client/pages/4227/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.greatvikings.com/gv/client/pages/4227/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>Also a good hunting list, i could not find the link so i pasted the list here.
Hope all this help's.
Nice list...

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Great advice by all, I would just add that figure out what type of terrain you are going to hunt in and match your camo to the area, if you don't have a lot of bucks to spend the military camo will work as well as anything out there and you can pick it up cheap at swap meets . Train yourself to sit perfectly still, no camo will help if you can't keep from moving. you don't have to worry about turkeys smelling you so try to set up with the sun to your back and in the shade of a bush or tree wider than yourself, Good luck

Latest Posts

Top Bottom