New to making trail Cams

kerux

Reaction score
I am new to making these home brew cams... are they real complicated?  In other words, are they actual;ly easier than they look on the directions?  I have a friend that owns the local Radio Shack and he siad he would help, but I would like to do it on my own - but I have no experience in electronics, etc...  Anyone else in the same shoes that was able to make these cameras?  I will start with the Olympus Inifinty jr. camera.  Any suggestions are appreciated (e-mail if you want to). Thanks

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hey Greek for preacher,
Welcome to the world of home-brew cams! :)
Well, don't know if they're easier than they look in the directions, but they look pretty darn easy!
Many of the guys here built their own with ZERO electronics experience!  Give it a shot - if you run into problems, you're sure to find all the help you'll ever need on this forum.

Archilochus

kerux

Reaction score
Well, I appreciate the encouragement.  I do already have one fairly simple question about batteries... I have a couple Makita 9000 (9 v) how do you all wire the leads to these?  Is it easier to use regular 9 volt alkalines or lithiums?  Ands if so, how long do they last?

thanks!

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. These cams are pretty easy. The 9volt makita is probably going to be a little overkill if you use the RS sensor. Your friend should be able to help you with that. The alkaline lasts for months anyways. Good luck and looking forward to your sucess. MC.

kerux

Reaction score
Actually, though I will use the RS PIR as a courtesy to him... give him the business for the help... I do have a WM2 (The MainStay PIR)  so if I use that one, is the makita too much still?  Or will a alkaline work good with the Main Stay also???

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
With Jon's new mods the alkaline will work for a long time with the MS-20. He has them posted here also. MC.

kerux

Reaction score
Where are Jon's mods posted exactly?  thanks

davered1

Reaction score
If you have NO experience whatsoever with electronics I would suggest you either use a RS PIR from your buddy or use your MAINSTAY WM2 sensor BUT, keep it simple. Don't start out trying everything on this forum for your first camera. It does get a little complicated.

Make one identical to the instructions from the main page, it will build your confidence. Otherwise you may end up frustrated and throw everthing in the trash. Trust me I still feel like tossing the odd one sometimes.

:throw-computer:

kfen

Reaction score
just like mcinil said the 9 volts last for months.

kerux

Reaction score
I have another question... on the drawing in the instructions there is a green wire going from the camera to the BOTTOM of the 5vdc relay.  and a yellow going to the toggle switch.  Which one is positive and which is negative (I need to know to wire up the plug .

Advertisement

Top Bottom