New To SoCal Hunting

Diegoluv

Reaction score
I just got out of the Air Force and I am moving back to San Diego.  I Live in GA right now and have enjoyed 4 years of great whitetail, dove, quail, and eastern turkey hunting.  I was wondering if anyone in the east san diego county area know any good dove feilds I can take my little brother to teach him about the outdoors.  ANy help would be nice.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
You'll have to go further east than SD county.  Look into the El Centro area in Imperial County.  Its about 1 hr 45 min drive from SD and the hunting for dove can be fantastic.  Get out there a few days early and find a good field and then be prepared for crowds. Good luck, you've found the right place to ask questions.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Welcome to Jesse’s page the best web site one the net for hunting info in California.
I’d say for dove hunting the best place is Imperial Valley also Quail and Pheasant. The Valley and Mountain Quail have not had it so good with low rain the water levels are really low and have hit the quail hard. The Gambles quail out in Imperial Valley don’t have some bad and may be the best thing for quail hunting. If you have a good dog you will have a much better chance at taking some. If you wish to deer hunt you may want to stay back in GA with the bane on lion hunting the deer have been hit hard in so cal. You can still take them but you will need do a lot of scouting for them and turkey. The fox and yote hunting is not bad and the bunny hunting can be good along with the fishing. Myself and several other members of the site are from east county so let use know when you get out her. WBH

ranchwife

Reaction score
Diegoluv - Welcome to Jesse's!  Hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us do!

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Diegoluv,

Welcome to JHP.  As the other said, the Imperial Valley has some excellent dove hunting.  As the opener draws near, hang around and I'm sure you can tag along with one of the regulars from the board.  (I know my group always welcomes new guys).

Regards,
Paul

mjohns2

Reaction score
Sorry I cant be much help, seeing I am a newbie to hunting........ Welcome to JHP

docramo

Reaction score
Dove hunting can be excellant in the Imperial Valley. There are also wild Pheasants + Gambels quail for those who work hard. Best of luck and let us know how you do.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Welcome to JHP!!!

Yep, Imperial Valley is the spot if you want constant action.  There are lots of hunters who go to the valley for openers, but the valley is so huge, that I've never had a problem.

Maybe we can setup a JHP dove hunt.

Diegoluv

Reaction score
Thank you guys!  I thought only the hospitality in the south was good!  I appreciate all the help.  I cant wait to get back out there.  I am looking forward to seeing what SoCal has to offer for hunters.  I guess, like you said, the deer and turkeys are hard to get out there...=(  I cant see turkey hunting being any harder then out here but I am sure it is!  I struggled this season to my 3 bird limit.  LONG hours in the woods.  Well I will talk with yall later!

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Diegoluv,

Welcome aboard!  There seems to be plenty of areas to hunt in the surrounding areas, you just usually need to et with someone local to give you the lay of the land.

Fullsack,

WBH and I were discussing the possibility of a JHP dove hunt just weekend before last.  Sounds like a good idea, maybe even tag a few yotes at night....

Advertisement

Top Bottom