New Turkey Slayer

ouachitamtnman

Reaction score
Sold my 870 SM with a 26" barrel for a Mossberg 835 Tactical with a 20" barrel.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
That'll get the job done. Not sure why but a pistol grip stock seems to take some of the bite out of the recoil. It definitely helps control the gun. Hope you enjoy it.

Tominator

Reaction score
That gun almost looks mean
Don't let the state of Kali get a look at it or they'll ban it.

LKN4HOG

Reaction score
That is one wicked looking gun...let us know how it works.

Randy

ShooterJohn

Reaction score
That should work for you. I agree I think the pistol grips removes some of the pounding your shoulder can take. Looks nice, good luck with it.

ouachitamtnman

Reaction score
THanks y'all,
I went and shot it this evening with 3 1/2 # 4's, 5's and 6's. I'ts got a .690 choke and supposedly they've done something to the barrel's forcing cone?, to make it shoot better. I wasn't crazy about any of the patterns at 40 yds but the #5 Hevi-Shot did the best with about 10 pellets in the kill zone (Head and Neck) @ 40 yds. My 870 didn't shoot any better with the Remington Super full or the Primos Jellyhead, but I was never happy with them either. I may have to get a Rhino...next year. Oh yeah, this mutha kicks like Chuck Liddell. Ouch!

skeeterbait

Reaction score
There is no forcing cone in a 835. It is backbored out to 10 gauge bore. My suggestion would be to try Winchester Extended Range and a .670 choke for #6 and .680 for #4. I shoot 3.5" #6 in a .670 out of my 24" 835 and it is a hornet swarm at 40 yards. 40-50 pellets in the head and neck at that range.

Winchester Extended Range is a heaver then lead material but isn't as hard as Hevi Shot. it is OK to shoot out of tigher tubes than Hevi Shot. If you choose to go with Hevi Shot, you probably shouldn't constrict any tighter than .680

3.5" shells are not kind to the shoulder, LOL! I use a PAST shoulder pad for patterning.

Advertisement

Top Bottom