Newbie from East Texas

possums

Reaction score
Found link to this forum while searching for info on feral pigs. Lots of good info here and am glad I found you.
My buddies and I have recently gained access to 1000 acre hunting/fishing lease running along the Sabine River bottoms. So far I have done some solo ultralight camping, run some trot lines, and gigged some frogs. The place is crawling with pigs, so I wanted to find out how careful do I have to be. Best I can tell, as long as I don't molest them, and be sure to let them know where I am, so as not to surprise them, I will be OK. I will always go armed when I am camping. If any of you have any other info, or contradicting info, I will glad to hear it.
We do plan to help harvest some of that good pig meat later in the year.

Possums

barel74

Reaction score
If you don't bother them, they should leave you alone. Even if you surprise them, they'll 9 times out of 10, run the opposite direction that your in.

BigSwad

Reaction score
Welcome aboard possums. Glad to have another Texan on board. Sounds like your lease is probably over by the Sulphur Springs area. I hunt on the outskirts of Lake Cooper some. Lots of hogs used to be, but think somebody started trapping as we hardly see them anymore. Good luck on shooting them. They won't bother you unless you bother them. They will run from you, unless you run into some piglets and their momma is near by, but I haven't ever done that.

Lots of good info here in the hog forum and the Texas hunting forum. Feel free to post and ask questions. And if you do get one of them hogs, we like to see lots of pictures!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Possums.
Plenty of hog hunters here to keep you company

gundogs

Reaction score
Smoke them with pecan wood and baste them every 20 minutes with whiskey and honey to glaze, if you like some spice use Tony's and give them a generous rub before the smoker. Have bow will hunt.
Glad to see you here on JHO

Gomer76825

Reaction score
Yipee another Texan, we keep this up we'll out number them CA boys before too long. Welcome glad to have you aboard.

Top Bottom