Hunting Buddy/Mentor Wanted Newbie looking for hunting buddy/mentor in Bay Area

nostrum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m new to hunting world & finding it amazing! Having spent time in IT domain, this is fairly new to me and don’t have friends or family who are into hunting.
Looking for hunting mentors/ partners I can learn from/with. Based out of South Bay but open to travel a few hours if needed.
Appreciate if you help me get started!

nostrum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m new to hunting world & finding it amazing! Having spent time in IT domain, this is fairly new to me and don’t have friends or family who are into hunting.
Looking for hunting mentors/ partners I can learn from/with. Based out of South Bay but open to travel a few hours if needed.
Appreciate if you help me get started!
Forgot to mention, I’m open for any type of hunting - preferably small game to begin with.

JohnCo

Reaction score
Welcome nostrum, I don't hunt small game, but folks here are happy to help and answer specific questions you might have.

Have you passed your hunters safety course?

nostrum

Reaction score
Welcome nostrum, I don't hunt small game, but folks here are happy to help and answer specific questions you might have.

Have you passed your hunters safety course?
Thanks for the support.
yep, just got my hunting license and blazing orange clothing.
Made a few friends in Hunter Ed class who are like me (no frens/family into hunting), & looking for company. Currently, we are just going to Coyote sporting (South Bay) for practicing.

Can you please share any tips/tricks for small game hunting - what to wear, where to go, what’s the best time & season, etc.

Curious how often do fellow hunters get called for walking alone with a loaded gun? Should I be expecting cops by my car when I return back? :-/ Not having done this before, it does feel a bit awkward :(

For now, plan to do a guided pheasant hunt, as that seems to be the easiest [paid :( ] option.

JohnCo

Reaction score
It depends, you should always be prepared to be stopped and checked by a game warden. But that doesn't mean you should feel you're doing something wrong, well, unless you ARE doing something wrong.

There's not really many 'tricks' to hunting. My tip is this, there's no shortcut or substitute for just going out and spending time in the field. It's going to take time and you'll spend a lot in gas money.

If you want to shoot rabbits, best place I know of is the east side of indian valley reservoir up near clear lake. I saw tons of rabbits in the brushy country. Might be a good place to start.

Neanderthal

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you 5 or 6 years ago. If you're hunting rabbits, quail, & pheasant you are OK with orange or anything else, since it's not really about being stealthy. They usually know your coming and will either hold tight, hoping that their natural camouflage will keep them safe, or they'll bolt/flush. Sometime their nerves get the best of them and they'll flush from right under your feet if you stop and wait for a minute. You'll want to be camouflaged if you're hunting doves, ducks, or turkeys.

You should know the season for your game from the regulations. You can also find public land from either the regulation book or their website. Best times typically are dawn and dusk, with exceptions (for instance you can't hunt pheasant until 8 AM or turkey after 5PM)

As far as walking around with a gun...it does feel awkward at first, but you'll get used to it. I've encountered a warden about once a year in the last five years. First thing I do is unload my gun as soon as I see them approach. Then, I say hello, and wait for them to ask for my license, before I go digging into my pocket.

If you're willing to spend some money to get your toes wet, you can drive north across the bay to hunt a bird club. I've been taking my dog this year to Quail Point Hunting Club to train. You can purchase a few birds and rent a dog if your want to get the experience at bagging something. Otherwise, be prepared to come home empty handed many times. Hunting, like fishing, is the pursuit of quarry, not necessarily catching or shooting.

Have fun & good luck!

nostrum

Reaction score
It depends, you should always be prepared to be stopped and checked by a game warden. But that doesn't mean you should feel you're doing something wrong, well, unless you ARE doing something wrong.

There's not really many 'tricks' to hunting. My tip is this, there's no shortcut or substitute for just going out and spending time in the field. It's going to take time and you'll spend a lot in gas money.

If you want to shoot rabbits, best place I know of is the east side of indian valley reservoir up near clear lake. I saw tons of rabbits in the brushy country. Might be a good place to start.
Thanks a ton JohnCo. Feeling much confident now.
Appreciate all the support and leads.

nostrum

Reaction score
Hey @Neanderthal @JohnCo thought of updating you & closing this thread.
couldn’t go for hunting last season but finally got my rabbit at Panoche this weekend. Went there with a fren and we both got 1 each. It was an amazing experience!
Thanks for your support :)

Top Bottom