newbie - planning on building and many Questions

cgchris99

Reaction score
Ok, I have been reading almost everything I can get my hands on about these cameras.

Now... a couple questions.
1) what camera - so many choices to choose from.  Which on is best and how much should I spend?

2) Which PIR.  The regent MS20 or did I also see something on a radio shack version?

3) Where can I see examples of enclosures (with cameras mounted) and how much they cost.  I like the idea of plastic ones better than metal.  No bears in this area.  I saw the ones in the FAQ but the ETA and Cases4less links didn't work.

(you can email me at cgchris99@home.com also)

Thanks for any help.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
cgchris99

I think you need to RE-Read Jesse's Site, somehow you missed 90% of it !

Tinhorn

cgchris99

Reaction score
Where does it say which PIR is better and why?

And as I stated.. a couple of the links on enclosures do not work.

I also see many camera options but nothing like Use camera XYZ because of this.  What I do see is the Canon sSure Shot PF is the main recommended one.  But not always easily found.

Thanks for any info

wvhunter

Reaction score
I like the RS PIR even though it is more expensive because it is easy to wire and runs off of a 9v battery for several months.  I am not sure of the battery life on the MS20, but alot depends on what you use as a power source.

The OWL PF is the cam of choice because it has about the best flash for a camera of this type.  Yes, they are getting hard to find but try amazon.com or other places on the web.  Some WalMarts still have them as well.  The other OWL works well also but doesn't have as good a flash.  Ebay is also an option for finding both of these cameras.

As far as enclosures go,  the RS hobby boxs are a good choice as well as PVC junction boxes from Lowes.  Go with a metal box if any bears are in your area.

Most of it is personal choice and how handy you are.  The route I went was: a RS PIR, OWL PF cam and no timer (use force flash and a timer wasn't required - per wiring instructions), and a metal first aid case.  It has worked very well except for when a bear tore the PIR out of the case but it was easy to repair.  The reason I went with this setup was after reading all the various options many times this seemed to me as the most straight forward way to build a cam.

Of course, all of the above is just my 2 cents!
:TST

P.S. Keep at it and get a cam built, cause they are a blast.  ALMOST as much fun as hunting!!  Good luck

(Edited by wvhunter at 6:42 pm on Aug. 7, 2001)

robNhood

Reaction score
My opinion only:

I like using the MS20 pir because out of 4 cams, it has not failed me. Not to say the RS does not work as well, but I stick with what works for me. The cost is less too.

I use the Owl PF date. The flash is strong. It has the date stamp and is not very difficult to modify. If you look for one, you will find it. They are out there.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I prefer the Owl PF with the Radio Shack 49-425 PIR becasue they are a perfect match.  Both have a 60 degree field, and at night both have a 30 foot range. Some PIRs will reach out to 80 feet, but if you view my latest roll you'll see that the flash wouldn't reach that far, plus even at 30 feet, the deer look small in the pictures. Here is the URL:

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=370

ToledoBend

Reaction score
It still seems that the Service Merchandise web site (servicemerchandise.com) still has the PF Date for $49.97.  It also lets you check to see if your local store has any. On the website search for: canon owl.
I was in the Hillsborough Blvd store in Tampa last week an they had at least 5 or 6.

Possum

Reaction score
My experience with Service Merchandise (in SC) was that their Web site was not updated.  None of the stores had any when the site said they did.  Hope its different in your state.  Wal Marts still have a few OwLs left and Circuit City is selling the PF for 57.99?? on their Web site.

Top Bottom