Newbie to Deer Hunting - First try in D8

Sigma

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As the title states, I'm new to deer hunting and this forum. Looks like a lot of knowledgeable people lurk around here.

Heading up to D8 on opening day and figured I'd do some scouting a day or two before the opener. Any recommendations on where to go?

Also, I plan on hiking in a distance and was curious what methods most of you use to get the deer out. Do you quarter it or debone the deer completely and just haul out the meat? What about transport methods? I've read about everything from dragging the deer out to lashing it on a plastic sled.

I have an old Jansport external backpack with aluminum frame capable of carrying a good load, and think I'll probably be faced with two trips or more in and out if I do succeed. At this point, I'm not getting my hopes up too high - I'm aware of the success rates in that zone.

Any responses appreciated.

Best Regards

BDB

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, lots of good info here. I have never hunted D8 so I can't help you there. As for getting it out, bone it out and carry it all in one trip is a good way. If he is a big buck and it's too heavy two trips will get a boned out deer back to the truck. I have never tried the sled but have only heard not so good things about doing it that way. Good luck in D8.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, Sigma.

Like BDB, I can't tell you anything about D-8. Your plan to get in early and start scouting is a solid one, and definitely the right way to go.

As far as getting the game out WHEN (not if... think positive, right?) you score, don't listen to BDB. He shoots all his critters right in the road and never has a tough drag.

But I guess he's right... if you're packed in, boning the meat will make the recovery a lot easier. You can reduce a pretty big animal to a reasonable weight. Don't need those bones anyway.

I've used a couple of different sleds, and I guess they have their good points. Bottom line, though, they usually turn into just one more thing to deal with. There's no need to bring the whole animal out of the woods.

Big_C

Reaction score
Hi Sigma - Welcome to JHO! You're right - there are some very knowledgeable experienced hunters here who will be able to give you some great advice.

I'm hunting D8 this year also. Unfortunately I've been way too busy to figure out where I'm going to hunt so can't help you there. I'm thinking that with this heat we've had it may pay off to hunt near a water source.

Good luck!
C

prohunter

Reaction score
welcome to JHO! lots of water and moisture this year in D-8 led to alot of vegatation growth. the high country got some rain with the recent thunderstorms. i will be hunting D-8 this year, but i am still scouting it. i haven't found my spot yet.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Get a bear tag, the deer are all in D7, but there are three bears in this zone, they usually shop at the Ralphs in Lake Isabella.

Just joking, atleast about the bears shopping, I will be hitting archery in D8, hunted it three years ago, get away from the roads and figure the lay of the land, and you will have fun.

Good luck

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome sigma.

Go for that sled. It worked for me on a 180-pound hog. Bring some strap. The carcass has a tendency to flip as it snag into some obstacles on the ground.

D8hntr

Reaction score
Still scouting myself, been from Mountain Home all the way to Greenhorn. D8 is a big zone with plenty of public access. All of D8 is pretty much Sequoia National Forest. Pick a spot, scout it out, avoid opening weekend, stay away from the roads, and good luck hunting. Without specifics, try around the 1990 Stormy Complex fire area and between Tobias Pk and Baker Pk. Deer in this zone are hard to pattern because the hunting pressure keeps them moving. They are there but you have to work for them.

jrobbd7

Reaction score
SIGMA; You mentioned hiking in a few miles. I would suggest you look at the "Backpacking Forum". There are alot of good topics there, that will help you hunt with a pack. I would`nt suggest that you bone out your first buck, unless you have some experience doing it. Cape it, and quarter it. My 2 cents.

Sigma

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers, Guys. Very much appreciated.

I realize that everyone has their own personal areas they are fond of. Therefore, don't feel like you need to post exact D8 locations you're scouting in. Just wanted a general idea of what areas you felt might be more productive than others.

I did see the Backpacking Forum and will check some of the posts there too, thanks.

Couple of more questions:

1. Do any of you bleed the deer after the kill, pros/cons. Heard some people do, others don't care.
2. Is CWD anything to worry about when in D8. Do you guys take along rubber gloves?
3. How do you personally handle the meat, i.e. when you're back at the car. Do you generally have large coolers ready with ice? How do you keep the meat cool and fresh for transport home?
4. What knives/saws do you use for quartering? I plan on taking a fallkniven S1 and a Swiss Army knife. http://www.fallkniven.com/S1new.html
5. It would be interesting to know what equipment you use. Sometimes a particular piece of gear sounds good on paper, but in the field its performance is mediocre, and you decide not to mess with it on future trips. What particular piece of gear have you found to be dead weight?

Best Regards

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I am a rookie at D8 myself, but if you start with the info from the DFG posted above about the zone, and start there, you should be well on your way to finding critters.

1. the bullet or broadhead bleeds them plenty, also since you are going to start field dressing immediately after pictures, that "bleeds" them as much as possible.

2. Always take along gloves, especially with bears, again get a bear tag, meat is delicious, and they are there.

3. I always keep a few coolers in my truck, full of ice, I also keep a ton of water in there as well. Another good thing to know ahead of time is where you will get the meat processed, ask that question before you have the meat and need a place to take it.

4. I use an Knives of Alaska camp knife and caping knife, also I always have a folding pocket style knife in my pocket, hunting or not, for the little jobs around the woods and town. I might go with a folding gerber gator this year, lighter and I keep it sharper than a scalpel. A shorter blade knife is great for skinning, especially if the critter is kept whole, getting all of the windpipe out is paramount, that thing goes bad very quickly.

5. For my gear I try my damndest to find gear that has two uses, besides my musthaves. Bow/arrows/binos/range finder etc are no brainers. I used to carry pruning shears in the whitetail woods I hunted all my life, but a half mile hump to the treestand meant I could take way more than I needed, and weight didn't matter much, but for hunting away from the roads with my bow, I keep the weight down as low as possible, hell food and water weigh enough in the hot conditions we usually encounter.

Also, even if you took exactly what someone else said was their "perfect" gear list, it pfobably wouldn't be th best for you, so getting out there and seeing what you don't need, or what you do need and don't have, is the way to figure that out.

good luck, and sorry all the deer left D8, D7 is just too pretty.

BDB

Reaction score
1. Personally I don't worry much about bleeding them. If shot with a bow it's not an issue anyway. I usually only hang it long enough to skin it and clean it up then it goes in a cooler.
2. CMW is not an issue here but gloves are still a very good idea.
3. Yes I keep a big (148 qt) ice chest in the truck with blocks or frozen 2 liter pop bottles ready to go.
4. I use a variety of knives, doesn't matter much as long as it's sharp. I like drop points and use this knife for the majority of my work.

5. Nothing I can think of right off the top of my head.

The backpack forum is fairly new and I really like it. Lots of great info from people with a ton more expereince than I have so I read there all the time.

Edit: DOH, bearclaw beat me too it and posted while I was typing mine........

Big_C

Reaction score
Don't forget a steel to keep your knife edge keen!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BDB @ Aug 2 2006, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
4. I use a variety of knives, doesn't matter much as long as it's sharp. I like drop points and use this knife for the majority of my work.

Edit: DOH, bearclaw beat me too it and posted while I was typing mine........[/b]
Steve, did I get your knife back to you?

Sigma, CWD isn't an issue yet in CA.

BDB

Reaction score
Yup, you did, thanks Phil

jrobbd7

Reaction score
Sigma: you are asking alot of good questions. This sounds like it`s your very first year? If so, I think the best way to get started is in a "Deer Camp" situation. What I mean is, be around a few experienced hunters that can show you the ropes. I am definitly not as experienced as most of these guys on this site but I can tell you it is good to have first hand knowledge of the ins and outs of Deer hunting. What I mean is, gettin up at 4 am, hiking up a ridge or two and learning a spicific area well for a week strait. More than likely someone in your camp, maybe you, will get a deer. That will answer alot of your questions.
I`ve gotta tell ya, Deer Hunting is as addicting as any drug, I started in 2000`, and have been sick ever since. I call it "Buckbrainittus", and you never get rid of it, nore do you want to!!!
Good luck, and remember all the Deer are in D7!

Sigma

Reaction score
Guys,

Appreciate your detailed feedback. I'm a backpacker but not a backpack/hunter yet, so as you were saying, you have to make your own experiences in the field and then decide for yourself what to take and what to eliminate.

D8Hntr says: "avoid opening weekend." Does that hold true for the rest of you?

If you score, is it usually early on the first day or two or after intense scouting? Perhaps that depends on a lot of different variables...

Regards

Sigma

Reaction score
Jrobb,

Yes, this will be my first try at deer hunting. Unfortunately, I have no buddies that sport the same interest at the moment. Some of my friends backpack with me, but I doubt I can persuade any of them to sacrifice a few days just to tag along on a hunting trip so I'll probably be going it alone. I'll need to be more careful of course.

I have a couple more questions:

What about dress - do you guys use camo shirts pants etc?

What about blaze orange - any of you wear a blaze orange cap or vest for safety or do you find that you're more easily spotted by deer?

That's it for now, thanks in advance for the feedback.

Regards

Top Bottom