Newer decoys

Fubar

Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of decoys you guys like? Do you make any modifications to your store bought decoys? How many do you put out? What configuration do you use? Does the amount of decoys you use depend on the size of the water? How far from the blind do you place them?             Thanx             Fubar

Jay

Reaction score
If they're on your back, the lighter the better. Small water - small spread (a dozen), big water - big spread (5 - 6 dozen). Super magnums are better than standard size. Over-emphazied white and color spots are better than dull dekes.

Fubar

Reaction score
Jay  Thanx for the reply. Any certain pattern you like? How far from the blind? All ducks or do you use any confidence decoys?             Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 11:44 am on July 5, 2001)

Jay

Reaction score
Coots, spoonies and great blue herons, the more the better on big water. You want to look like a raft of happy ducks frolicking together. remember ... "It's a party!"

As far as configuration I've used "U", "X", "J" and the "Hole-in-the-spread"  where you just toss decoys out at random but make a nice open sweet spot for the birds. The key is you want to be in range for how the birds work your pattern. Shy birds may bounce off the down-wind edge of your spread so that's where you want to be when the birds are shy. On windy days the birds are looking for shelter so you may want to use a "J" pattern will the tail in open water and the hook end in sheltered water, of course then you want to be near the hook.

As far as distance you want to be close enough to hit birds decoying to your sweet spot but far enough away to not spook the birds. This will vary with available cover and weather. In heavy cover and stormy weather you can basically stand in your decoys and shoot improved cylinder patterns. On big water or on calm days you may have to be 30 yards away and shoot a full pattern.

No easy answers.  Then the wind switches on you and you may have to completely reverse your strategy.      

(Edited by Jay at 1:36 pm on July 5, 2001)

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
I like the Best buy carry lite mallards, on some I might outline the scapulars with some black then on others darken the whole scapular, for pintail I like the best buy flambue or Carry lite and outline the Scaps with white. Also I like a little armor all it gives the decoys a nice shimmer when it drys and on old decoys it brings the paint out pretty good.  I dont know if this makes a differennce in the hunt all the time, but i bet it may help every once in a while

jerry d

Reaction score
I hunt a flooded rice field where, depending on the size and configuration of the field, we put out anywhere from 200 - 400 decoys with as much "color" as we can get. Just keep in mind, what goes out must be picked up at the end of the season. It can get pretty tiresome picking up 400 decoys but we normally start thinning down toward the latter part of the season and have no more than 3 - 4 dozen at the end of the season. Many times we've shot limits with only 6 decoys on the last day of the season.

At the start of the season, with the field configuration and "normally" prevailing winds in mind, we usually lay out a J style setup with a long tail pointed toward our neighboring blind and a "soft" hook out approx. 10 yds in front of our blind with a few magnums spread out in the landing zone of the hook(gonna try a jerk string out there this season). This allows any birds that slide off the neighboring blind to hopefully be directed to our setup. This is by no means a "perfect layout" but it seems to work for us.  

As the season progresses we watch what the birds do as they enter the field and attempt to re-set accordingly. It's also critical to make wind adjustments as necessary which could mean re-sets from morning to afternoon.

As far as distance from adjacent cover - if you observe resting or feeding waterfowl you'll probably not normally see them closer than 10 - 15 yds to any cover that can hide a predator, although there's some dumb ones that can't seem to resist a good meal directly along the edge of the cover.

steve

Reaction score
Be willing to try anything and always be willing to change when its not working.I like starting with a smaller number of dekes because its easier to change location/pattern .Then if you start competing with large numbers of ducks rafting up trying throwing out every decoy you have.Then agian it all depends on what you want to pack,cart,carry.
I do like super mags but I keep some regular size dekes just to add some variation.

mudroller

Reaction score
I use 4 dz. outlaw dekes for ducks and put them on the check and in shallow water and a few in groups 50 yds out from blind. Then I fill in with  floater best buy Carry-lite and G&H Super Mag mallard and sprig. I have repainted the white portion on all my sprig dekes with Flouresent White paint from Hobby shop that is used to paint radio control cars. It really stands out. Most the time we set up in a hook pattern. Then we put 2 robos 10 yards out in front of blind so we can shoot-em in the lips. Kids get to shoot first and only on landing ducks. We quit shooting passing birds when we got robos.We no longer have cripples. Pray for a wet and wild fall and winter!!!!

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
I like to use all drakes from beginning to the point that ducks pair up late in the season. Overemphasize the white on pintails,put some sheen on greenheads and a little silver down their back.Incorporate different species; a few widgeon, spoonies and canvasbacks.Try tying a few decoys from the back so they face the other way.Mix in some feeders and sleepers. Try a jerk string for movement. I use a moto but that is probably over

Advertisement

Top Bottom