Newest Choke Out There

hunthog

Reaction score
Seen the new Cabelas Waterfowl catalog?   They have an interesting new choke in there.  It's adjustable over the entire range of constrictions and made out of Titanium.  Since I know we all can't stand to be without something new every year, has anyone considered this choke?  I kind of wonder if it's just a new version of another "Poly Choke".   Still, what a concept and worth the $100 price tag if it patterns worth a darn.  Cabela's has such a good return policy it might be worth a try.  What do ya'll think?  Waste of money?

Just when you think you've got all the toys you need for a while they throw something else in the dang catalogs!!!!!!

hunthog

huntducks

Reaction score
hunthog

I saw the same in the catalog and first thing I thought was poly choak man it all comes full circle.

I have done extensive pattern testing mostly steel and have bought and sent back(cabelas) several $50-$70 dollar chokes, I saw very little pattern improvements over a $30 choak many of the expensive tubes say 10% to 20% improvement I saw 10% at the very best and mostly 5% or less, I find it hard to beleave that kind of improvement makes a differance, but did find a bigger improvement by just shooting better ammo, I have several brileys extended tubes for both steel & lead that I bought on sale at bass pro for $9.99 they work just as good as any of the expensive one's, I also have a hastings extended that I paid $25 for that works just fine.

I'm sure you have heard that old expresion lures were made to catch fisherman not fish, I feel same with all these choak tubes, the mfg. have found a big market in the american hunter with all there new whistles & bells, but it still all boiles down to shooting ability and you get out of it what you put into it like practice, which many hunter don't take the time to do and they put there shotgun up in Jan. and take it out in Sept. but in the mean time they add a couple of bell's.

:soapbox:

hunthog

Reaction score
Gosh.....and I thought I could put another pretty decal in my window after buying one of those.  Just kidding.  I'm perfectly happy with my Briley manufactured chokes too.  The only reason I went extended anyway was to get the constriction out of my barrel.  I travel up North and hunt Honkers with big shot several times a year and I thought, just in case, an extended choke would prevent any unforseen problems.  I had one of my modified chokes get pretty tight in my 1187 one year.  Didn't want to put any extra stress on what looks to be a thinner barrel on my SBE than on my 1187.  That tight choke scared me a bit since I had a light coat of anti-sieze on it as well.  

hunthog

ctwny1

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my Kicks High Flyer and will not change anything.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom