newport bay

Socal hunter

Reaction score
does anyone fish newport bay.  I have several times.  Only luck is near bait barge.  I cought a few small halabit   but never any legal.  Any help?  Also anyone floattube the bay?  Do you worry about things bitting you?  

Sky Buster

Reaction score
ive fished the harbor many times in a skiff.  caught alot of small halibut, sand sharks, sandies, and the biggest spotted bay bass ive ever caught, well, only one ive ever caught, but it was just under 9lbs.  ive never tried it in a float tube...  and dont think i will.  ive hooked, and almost landed a 6 1/2 foot thresher shark about 20 yards outside of the harbor.... got it right up to the boat and didnt have a gaff.  we just stared at it wondering what to do, then it took off and took my hook with it.  

waldo2382

Reaction score
I've fished the harbor a lot in the past year and caught lots of bass, sandies, calicos and spotties. I also managed to land 4 legal halibut and lost quite a few others. Caught one white sea bass that was about 6 inches long too. What my friend and I like to do is set up a drift in the bay and fish a dropper loop with a 1oz weight and fish with live bait for the flatties. We like to fish the 5" curly tail grubs for the bass in there too when there is no wind or current for a drift. My suggestion, explore the bay. That is what we did and just putt putt around. Eventually, you'll find your secret honey hole. I'd gve you my hot spot, but sometimes they bite, sometimes they don't, particularly in winter.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I've fished it both from shore at a secret spot and from my kayak all around the bay.  Good results both ways.  

The shore spot gave me my biggest corbina and spotfin croaker.  Lots of fun on a light stick.

d trees

Reaction score
Hey so cal try renting a boat there and exploring the bay , plastics always worked well for us around the docks and mooring lines and the bridges were always good for halibut and spotties.

Sky buster really like to see what a 8LB plus spottie looks like got any pics ????????

EVAN III

Reaction score
 I've fished Newport alot. If your looking for Bass rent a skiff or bring your own boat and go in and out of the boats. Plastics work really well, I use curl tails also and have always had good luck. There are alot of sharks ( mostly small). If you are just looking to have fun go out at night with fresh cut bait. You will need all required safety lights to be out at night. We have pulled Bat Rays out that are any where from 30 to 45 lbs. They will give you the fight of your life. If you go out after them you might not want to anchor your boat. If you drop anchor you will get spooled fairly easy, it helps if the boat gets pulled a little. Drop by the floting shell station and pick up some live chovies, don't worry about keeping them alive. Anyway I love fishing Newport its a blast. Oh ya, I like to tube, but I don't think I'll be doing it in the harbor. There are people that do it and live, but I've also seen some big sharks in there. ( 5 1/2 foot leopard that my nieghbor caught) and boy did was he good eatin.

(Edited by EVAN III at 4:21 am on Jan. 15, 2002)

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I've heard of even bigger bat rays out there.  A friend of mine got spooled on a 10/0 reel with 180# line at the little public dock near the harbor mouth.  He was fishing rays on purpose.

If you're set up for them rays are a real kick in the pants to fish for.  Kind of like trying to stop a barn door with its afterburner lit up.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
d trees, dont have any pics of the spottie,  but it was about 18-20 inches long with a serious gut.  i thought it was quit an accomplishment, but my friend told me he catches them that big all the time over there.  i turned him into tacos that night without taking any pics.

EVAN III

Reaction score
Grey Taylor, ya there are bigger ones out there, just I've never never caught one! Saw a 80 #er come out once.  They are fun to catch and fight. Heard they make great scallops out of the wings, never tried it though. I should one of these days. Anyone have a recipe???

m57jager

Reaction score
D Trees, I'm with ya, sure would like to see what an 8 lb spottie looks like.

Sky Buster, fish the bay quite a bit.  Even, did my time on one of the boats out there for awhile.  Never been lucky enough to pull, see, or hear of lots 8+# spotties.  You guys should think about entering some of the tourneys.    

SoCal hunter, those guys gave you some good advise.  Also, try putting around in a skiff, trolling #5 Rapalas behind docked boats.  Let line out just far enough to barely tap the bottom. Brown Craw and Fire Tiger are my favorites.  Good Luck!!!!

Gr8Unknown

Reaction score
I fished Newport Harbor on 4th of July lasy year. We were suppossed to take the 3/4 day boat (Freelance), but my friends arrived too late. So we opted to rent a skiff from Davey's Locker. The rental include the bait and I thought all around it was a good deal. We caught all of our fish over by the Coast Guard station, about 35 - 50 yards out. We caught Bay Bass ( Calico) small White Sea Bass, small Barracuda all on live bait. The only keepers were the Calicos. Check out Davey's Locker for a skiff it's a good deal. I did hear taht they were going to stop renting them, but I don't know when that goes into effect.

bowler23

Banned
Reaction score
I FISHED NEWPORT A FEW WEEKS AGO AND I CAUGHT SOME BONITO IN THE BAY AT LIDO PENINSULA.  THEY WERE SMALL ABOUT 10 INCHS OR SO BUT A SAW ABOUT 5 OR 6 OF THEM THERE.  THEY WERE IN CHASING THE BAIT FISH AT NIGHT.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
I used to fish there all the time cause I lived 5 minutes from the dunes. I've seen yellowtail breezing by the bait reciever before . My wife caught a 8lb striper by the old reuben E lee. I've caught 2 legal barries one night by the lido turn basin. She and I had a couple of 100 fish nights drifting the channel by the CG station using 3-4" AA swimbaits. We've placed in the top 3 in the Seafest fishing tourney there. But, I'd give anything to see an 8lb spottie. I've caught them in the sea of cortez where they are practically untapped on the tony reyes trips and my biggest spottie so far is 3.5 lbs. Thats one helluva fish and musta pulled like a mutha. Congrats!!!

bowler23

Banned
Reaction score
I just went fishing on Sat. i caught one sand shark and a string ray and i got stung by it but can any one tell me were to bait holders are in newport.

bowler23

Banned
Reaction score
I WENT BEEN FISHING THE PAST TWO WEEK AT IN THE BAY AND A FAVORITE SPOT OF MINE WITH A FRIEND. WE HAVE GOTTEN 9 SAND SHARK THERE ONE OF THEM WAS 37" LONG AND GOT A FEW SAND BASS AND ONE SPOTTED BASS AND TWO FLATTIES BELOW THE DOCK.

Top Bottom