Next stage training for my lab

mudwalker

Reaction score
Cyrus is now six + months old. He is good at sit, stay, down and sometimes heel. In the back yard he will fetch until his tail falls off but hasn't had the opportunity to do much in other locations. He travels well, and walks on the leash without pulling.

Now that I have the basics down, I want to get him ready for duck/pheasant season. How do I go about doing that? What can I do in the back yard (we are city bound more times that not) and what should I be making special trips for?

Widux

Reaction score
"Now that I have the basics down" maybe you do and maybe you don't--if he heels sometines--it ain't enough-he's still a pup--but before going on he should be rock steady,always heel correctly-sit, kennel,lay down and come--I wouldn't push him at this point--but looks like you are doing way too mant marks--many trainers today say that's easiest to teach as it's natural and except for a few bumpers dog really needs OB--you have 5-6 mos to get ready and first year I don't think he'll bea complete dog anyway--I'd strat gewtting him used to water-boat-dekes-walk in field and have him learn to quarter- dive in brush for birds-intro him to gun--all in easy progression- -when he has his adult teeth-around now- do FF-I ain't a pro or expert but have trained a few dogs and ours are fair water and upland dogs--by the way you say he retrieves till his tail falls off- does he deliver EVERY bumper to hand and has he been introed to birds? Good luck- training can be tough but also fun.

83blazer

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mudwalker @ Apr 24 2008, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cyrus is now six + months old. He is good at sit, stay, down and sometimes heel. In the back yard he will fetch until his tail falls off but hasn't had the opportunity to do much in other locations. He travels well, and walks on the leash without pulling.

Now that I have the basics down, I want to get him ready for duck/pheasant season. How do I go about doing that? What can I do in the back yard (we are city bound more times that not) and what should I be making special trips for?[/b]

As a new pupp owner I don't know it all but I will tell you to get "10 Minute Retriever" I don't remember by who but I bought it from Amazon.

I read and watched Gundog then I watched Waterdog and so far I like 10 min. Retriever a lot better. For me being my first dog this book has all my answers and then some. It is very easy to understand. I recommend it a lot. It will tell you what you need to work on. The BOOK is great get it. Very easy to read.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
I recommend "Gun Dog" for pointers or "Water Dog" for retrievers. Both were written by Richard Wolters. They have often been refered to as "the Bible" of hunting dog training. They will give you step by step instructions on how to train your pup. I have used it the methods on my pups and had dogs that would sit stay and retrieve on command by 8 weeks old. They give you day by day instructions.

Widux

Reaction score
10 minute ret is by john & Amy dahl-- Now as for Richard Wolter's--Lots of younger folks poo poo him andsay he's outdated BUT I like him and follow his books every time I have a pup-- have 2 older dogs trained from his mstuff and they are pretty faie upland an water dogs-I do read- Milner- talk with Mike Stewart and read barlow( Brit training
for american ret)-and like Dobbs book (tri Tronics)for drills-- don't use Lardy he' great but too far out in FT landr me. Don't like tarant or Free-and have not used Smartwork but some folks seem to live by it--Getting a pup in Aug or sept and am already planning his training- had to review since it's been a while--I am not a pro and only have two dogs at a time now--read a bunch of stuff but I'd use Wolter's as number uno guide.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
What can I do in the back yard?[/b]
I think what you need to do most of all is get some live pigeons and start intro'ing your pup to birds...at first a dead one...and then tie up the wings (stage 2) letting him chase after it and then 1 with pulled flight feathers (stage 3) before the instincts & hunt desire atrophy. You can trim back on flight feather removal to get some "airborne" characteristics for further excitement but pull 'em all for starters and scale back a bit on just 1 wing. You want your dog to charge in & not be daunted by fluttering wings and flight.

All the other advice is good too but I'd incorporate working with pigeons asap...try to get a dead pheasant & duck to get Cyrus excited about those scents too.

83blazer

Reaction score
BIll if you don't mind can you elaborate a little more on the intro to birds. I was thinking about doing that this Saturday but picking up 3 pigeons and pulling flight feathers and hiding them around the yard and driving her near them so she can pick up the scent. Is this right or should I change it up a bit????

Fell free to call me or if I can call you tomorrow night let me know?

Thanks
Ernie

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Your pup was chasing down live pigeons with the flight features pulled. I think she's ready for "backyard" retreives using live birds...have someone throw the bird up in the air and shooting a blank (or make a loud bang on something like a garbage can)...don't let her go until you release her (have hand on her collar)...only hold her a second or two after it lands to give her the idea that you are the master....release her using her name (her name is the "retrieve it" command).

You can play 'hide the bird & hunt it up' too....sure, give me a call and we can bat around some ideas. Might want to mix in having your pup retrieving a finger cleaning brush to ward off hard-mouthing the bird too. Tie a wing to it.

duckdog

Reaction score
Kat,

Sounds like Cyrus is doing good. How's his ears?

One thing I see happen a lot when throwing bumpers only in the back yard limits the dog in the feild.

First, the dog only learns to retrieve/hunt as far as you have been able to throw the bumper.

*Have someone throw bumpers/birds out in front of you. Each session moving farther away. It's good to have the thrower helping Cyrus with the bird if the first throw he isn't going out to the fall. He will probably stop short due to the distant of the throws he is use to in the back yard. The thrower can either throw another bumper where the first one is, or make hollering noises to help Cyrus come towards him when they see Cyrus giving up. You want Cyrus to stay out there hunting and to find the bumper before coming back to you. Then repeat the throw so Cyrus gets it and doesn't stop short of the throw. A park works good for this. There is no cover for the bumper to get lost in.

Retieving in cover

* Once Cyrus is doing long retrieves. Repeat what was done above in a feild with some cover and teach Cyrus to hunt in cover. (long grasses-beware of any with fox-tails this time of year)

I hope this helps..

Call me anytime if you have any questions.

Widux

Reaction score
I usually take a pheasant hen-tape wings and let it go where dog can see it go--thne when it's out of sight- let the dog go-- it's good training for cripples and get dog excited about retrieving--then take pigeons-thorw and shoot them for dog-

Top Bottom