NH Deer

Hi,

Is anybody out there? Is anybody posting about deer hunting in NE and stuff? My scouting has revealed no deer sign to date. I am in an area of deep woods and few farms. I see more moose than deer. Is anybody seeing any rut signs yet? Not me. According to D&DH mag, we should have an early rut. Here is a pic of a buck I got on the Deercam in Sept.

talk to you later.

Attachments

Brettski

Not a bad looking buck at all. Here in VT later on in the archery season we've seen some good buck sign in the woods...scrapes, rubs....and the bucks we've seen from the road have some thick necks. I have not seen any bucks hot on does yet, but I expect to see that soon and early in the rifle season November 10th. Thanks for posting and it's good to see some other New England members posting!! Keep em coming!

Brettski,

Thanks for replying! The area that I got this buck pic had NO deer sign. I just hiked up a mountain, and set up the cam in a flat, sort of funnel looking area. I got two moose pics, and one more buck shot, and a doe or two. I will keep posting over the season. I have a couple of weeks off from work to hunt, and I am hoping for a good year...we'll see.

Good luck in VT and keep your posts coming!

Attachments

Brettski

all the pictures you've posted thus far look similar, so you think it is the same buck? I'll post up a few pics of what Sleepy (my brother) and I have gathered thus far.

Brettski

Here are a few pics we had early season, the last pic is a bit hard to see, but by far the largest racked buck we've been able to catch on cam ever....local farmer says he's a big 8!....we'll put a search on for him opening weekend, but we wont be alone on public land, I'd like to think we're the only ones who know he's on the property!

Attachments

Ten Pointer

mfro,

Great pics and you too Brettski. The NH Fish and Game page shows the archery season so far has been the best yet. The numbers have been way up so the deer are moving. I too think its going to be an early rut this year.

Good Luck,

Ten Pointer

Brettski

Hey Ten Pointer,
Where ya from? I'm going to assume NH, but it's not all too often we get a New England based thread going on here...keep it up! and Keep the posts coming

Brettski,

Looks like you've got some nice bucks in your area. Good luck to you and all. Tomorrow is the first day of NH Muzzleloader hunting. My Dad and I will give it a go.

Well, it was a fun weekend, but nothing landed in the freezer.

Saturday was windy, cool in the AM, moderately warm in the PM. No rain, somewhat overcast. Saw three scrapes and one rub. It looks like a few deer are in the area, and there is some moving going on based on the tracks (indented inprints on the leave-covered forest floor). No deer sightings.

Sunday I skipped church and went to another area. The weather was much like Saturday, only sunny and a bit colder. This area seemed cold (sign-wise). No scrapes, no rubs. I covered about 3 miles round trip. Lots of walking, stopping, walking. Woods were noisy, but windy. I sat a few times for 20 to 30 minutes. I came to one big clearcut, the rest was hardwoods and softwoods--steep terrain. By the end of the day I was tired and was becoming careless with my movements/noise...and...you guessed it, I jumped two deer in hardwoods about 200 yards from my truck (they were about 40 yards from me). They split (one to the right and one to the left) they did not seem to go far, so I stood still for about 1/2 hour hoping they would try and join up again (maybe walking within eye-shot). It was 2:30, and I needed to get going home for other committments, so I started walking and boom, I jumped one of the deer again. It had only gone about 70 yards. I could not see horns at any time...but as you know, it is hard to see that stuff with running deer, etc. It could have been two does--not sure.

I was then out of time, so I headed to the truck and went home. A decent day over all (for me).

My Dad is a sitter, and saw nothing either day (sitting in clear cuts). We are both trying to get used to the colder weather.

Brettski

good luck to you the rest of the season!....were you hunting where you had your cams out either day?

Ten Pointer

mfro,

Always the case when you get close to your truck you jump deer. Sounds like you covered a lot of ground. The rut should be starting this weekend so fasten your seatbelt and get ready to rock.

Ten Pointer

Top Bottom