NH JHO "Big Buck" Award

Paul/NH

Hey fellas!

Haven't logged on in a while but I got a few stands put in over the long weekend and the fever is starting to grow, despite the fall striper run.

Im still game to have the NH Big Buck contest. Highest scoring buck, any method, when you add weight and gross antlers...

How does that sound??

Paul

lineman

What's up guys, this is my 1st post in this forum but not my last, I'm going to be hunting mainly with my new handguns this year, been practicing all summer.
Ruger Redhawk,ss 71/2" and Bisley hunter,ss 71/2" loading my own...

Attachments

Lil John

Those are some nice looking handguns lineman.
I'll be hunting in your neck of the woods this year, Whats it take for an out of stater to bring in a handgun for hunting.
I have a Dan Wesson 44 mag, all stainless.

dogtagger

Glad to see this thing is still alive, and there's a little competition
I was beginning to think this little contest was going to die on the vine...

Paul/NH

hey dogtagger:

Nope....I haven't been on much over the summer but I still say we run this thing!!!

I know there was a "MattNH" on Jesse's last year from my neck of the woods. There was a "MattNH" on nesportsman. that dropped a apprx. 140lb 3 pt this weekend. Hope it was him!!!

Matt? You out there??

I started hunting on 10/1. Had a doe come by just out of bow range in the AM & PM 10/1, and had one blowing in the dark yesterday morning... I was downwind and I was sitting still waiting for light so maybe something else spooked it...

Paul/NH

MattNH

Paul, I'm here. I don't check in here very often, but it seems like I might have to start dropping by more often.

That was me that got the deer on Saturday. He likely won't win me any big buck competitions, but I'm pretty happy with him.

I was out again on sunday and had a decent sized coyote under the stand for a couple of minutes, I was able to draw on him but he never presented a 'perfect' shot, and after breaking two arrows on saturday and being down to 2 hunting arrows I wasn't about to risk wasting an arrow. Hopefully I'll run into him again during firearm season.

Unfortunately, I found out on Monday that I'm getting laid off, so hunting season is kind of on hold for now while I work on pulling together a resume and looking for a new job.

Anyone out there looking for a computer programmer?

Paul/NH

Hey Matt, that's SWEET!! I was hoping it was you!! May not come in first place with the quality of hunters we have on this boards, but that's a heck of a nice deer. The spike/spork/fork/5pt (depending on how legitimate some of the points are
) that I got last year only went 110 dressed. 145 dressed for a 3pt is NICE!! Was that a deer from just across the river?

I was out this morning before work in Merrimack - nada, but tomorrow is an off Friday at BAE so I'll be out in the AM & PM in zone K and placing a few ladder stands for gun season at midday.

I also am hunting MA this year for the first time in a long time with my brother and our friend - a was lucky enough to draw a doe tag for the zone we'll be bowhunting, and buy a surplus doe tag for the zone we'll me shotgun/muzzy hunting in. I have a lot of options to put some venison in the freezer this fall.

Incidentally, you may consider BAE...Defense Contractor, but still a fairly decent company. I was here for 8 years, left back in 2000 and went to a small place in Nashua then the entire R&D department got let go right before Christmas 2002.
Milled around for a while then came back here as a Hardware Manager rather than designer...

What I will say is while you are working hard to find a new job, still allow yourself to have fun. I felt I didn't deserve to enjoy myself while I was out of work, even though I was working hard to fing a job. As soon as you are back in a cube
for 40+ a week, you'll wish you had "smelled the roses!"

Paul

Paul/NH

Hey Matt:

Forgot to ask - any pics??

Oh, and I echo what a few others have said - nice going, regardless of making a spine shot rather than into the boiler room proper (lungs, heart.) You did well to hold off until it was in range!!

I've only got one deer with a bow, and I was almost surprised I got a solid lung shot I was shaking so much

Until I get updates - for now you are on top the leader board!!

Paul

MattNH

Paul, unfortunately no pics. I was alone, and effectively one-handed (5 stitches in one finger on my left hand-- and I'm left handed) so by the time I dragged the deer out and got it deer field-dressed and into the trunk of my car (a truck *was* on the horizon) I was too beat to consider pulling it out again for a photo op.

The deer was actually taken in Raymond I moved up there last December, and I took this deer about 1/2 a mile from my new house.

I hear what you're saying about getting out to smell the roses, but it just doesn't feel right to be on stand or in the duck blind when I don't know what I'll be doing for work come January. Maybe that'll change once I get my resume out there...

Paul/NH

Matt:

Raymond is nice!! I knew a guy from Raymond from my old job that used to talk about all the deer and turkey he'd see to and from work, but would never hook me up with some areas to check out up there. But, he was the first guy that sent me his resume at BAE once I was hired and he was still looking... I passed it around because I considered him a friend, but that always stuck with me...

Anyway, I hear what you are saying about "not feeling right" out having fun when you aren't earning that regular paycheck. I busted my ass working the spring of 2003 for a landscaper and doing construction. Unfortunately, when I got the offer to return to BAE they wanted me back ASAP and not only did I not get a chance to have a little free time, but I actually had to finish up the consturction job I had undertaken after hours so I actually had less free time than ever before until I was done...

At least you've got a supply of venison already tucked away!! Good luck with the job search.

Paul

MattNH

Paul, I'm loving it up here in Raymond- so far I've found a ton of spots to hunt everything from deer and coyotes to ducks and upland birds, all within 5 minutes of my house. If you're interested in making the drive, I could certainly point you at a couple of promising spots for deer.

My only complaint is the turkey hunting- The Raymond area is a virtual turkey wasteland. After a frustrating winter/spring of scouting I finally got in touch with the biologist in charge of the state's turkey program and he confirmed my suspicions- there just aren't any turkeys in the area. They've tried stocking a few times and the populations just never really took hold. I ended up driving a half an hour east to get my turkey this spring.

Top Bottom