Nice 10 pointer High 150's low 160's Buck

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I only have 2 35 m.m. cam units 1 owl and 1 2400ff... would'nt you know it I get the pics on the 2400ff... It takes crappy pics. But I got a few descent bucks

First one is a high 150's low 160's gross class 10 Pointer perfect Rack, would like to see some more mass and tine Length. But he has some width I have seen him in the woods, he does not come back in at all and extends to the tip of his nose giving him 27-28" main beams. and has a very nice spread.

Heres a pic of Him, I got 3 Pics of this Buck

Attachments

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
and last One not sure what he is But will be a shooter in a year or 2, has some junk going on. But looks like he will be Interesting

Attachments

Greystoke

Reaction score
Nice bucks Dan. Do you take alot of time off in the fall? I read your in the ref. business. I'm in the plumbing/heating field. Always crazy this time of year which gets frustrating when the hunting season comes and goes so fast. Another reason why these cams are so fun, you can hunt all year. Better not let my wife read this one. Good luck this fall
Jim

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Jim,

I am in the Hvac/ Refrigeration Business yes... And yes it can be hectic, until this year, its been slow this year for us... Thats why Im goofing off now..:))) In Fall as soon as season opens I hunt every Saturday/Sunday ALL day 13 hours no matter what. woods could be on fire. I will be in that stand until its licking my tree.

As rut approuches I will take some days as I see activity build from my weekends and viewing and talking to people. This year I have a better advantage I am only a few minutes from my hunting spot, so I will be hunting every evening as well plus the weekends. so I am excited about that...

The cams are alot of fun, I have really grown to enjoy them, extends the season and gets you excited as well. It allows you to see what an area offers and allows you to be Vigelant in your efforts.

Have you ever taken a camera with you hunting, I started that 2 years ago and thats a ton of fun as well... I plan to do it again this year.

Cousnam.. These pics are from a scent lineI ran with human urine as the attractant yes. Its not a full blown scrape. I used a scent free rag and dampened it with urine and dragged it down a trail area. between 2 bedding areas.

Im trying to establish a new pattern between these areas. I fell a few trees in this area about 2 months ago to create a natural funnel, attempting to reroute there activites between the bedding areas.

Dan

harleydavidone

Reaction score
I must say OBH I find it commendable that you are able to pass up 2.5/3.5 year old deer. Here in our area the private land is broken up into parcels 10 to 200 acres, with the larger tracts getting few and far between anymore and with the hunting pressure we have the amount of bucks that make it to maturity is a very small percentage. There are more and more of the seasoned hunters in this area passing the 1.5 year olds but there is not to many in these parts will not shoot a 2.5 year old 110"-120" deer (me included). Out of the 79 deer I have killed (here in Mi.) only 2 have been at that 3.5 year old mark, one being 153" and the other 144" and they both aged 3.5 years old. So being said I was just thinking after seeing this post that if I would of passed anything under a 4.5 year old in my 28 years of hunting I would be at zero, and in turn anything 3.5 I would be at 2 kills, and a whole lot thinner from not eating all of those deer. LOL

See what happens when I get some time to think!!!!

bat

Reaction score
OBH those are not what I would call "crappy pictures" in the first two pictures for sure. Boy you have some good ones "again" to chose from this year! It is really nice to have a place close that you can hunt I am sure. I got a little local areas that I can work but nothing like you have I know. Keep those pictures coming, we are enjoying seeing them.

harley, just think of it another way, one year of passing on some of those that you have taken and then stay with the plan to only shoot the 3.5-4.5 year old after that and the numbers wouldn't have changed very much except for that one year. Then you would have many many more of the 153", 144" buck hanging on the wall. Just trying to encourage you a little for you to see that it can happen if you want it too. I am saying this to start a argument on what we should do or shouldn't do, every persons hunting is based on their perticular area that they hunt. Some people just don't have the area to allow the bigger bucks to live(hunting pressure) to those 4.5 year old bucks. Ok back to the topic subject to keep this from getting off-topic.

I can smell the Giant Bucks being taken this year already because of the pictures all of you are posting this year so far. Keep the cams rolling guys/gals, there are a lot of big bucks out there. Thanks again for sharing those OBH and good luck collecting one of them.
bat

harleydavidone

Reaction score
Maybe I should of worded that a little different Bat, I guess that is what I was thinking is I wish I had the area to pass on the 2.5 year olds. I have friends that hunt S.W. Ill. where they know the older bucks are running around like "rats" so they inturn pass up 130" bucks all of the time. We do have some decent deer in my area but with the smaller parcels here it means there are different guys on each piece with different mind sets, most being if it is legal it is down and during our gun season I could not count the number of smaller bucks I have let go and have them walk next door only to hear BAM!!!!! I was just thinking out loud in that post that OBH has some great looking deer to pursue and I admire his hunting ethics.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Harley,

I think every area is differant in the ways you mentioned either amount of hunters or type of people hunting an area. It is very hard for a Whitetail to reach maturity under pressured conditions, that you describe, but sounds like you have done very well. the Deer you mentioned are no slouches by any stretch, many hunt a lifetine for Deer in that caliber and you have 2. thats very good...

I also think alot of areas are affected by the Long Gun seasons they have and also the Bag limits they are allowed. Your area pressured as it is, makes your accomplishments that much more Impressive.

I have been VERY blessed to locate areas that no people are really hunting it. and hold some trophy caliber Deer. They dont come easy by any means, Its alot of hard work, Mature Bucks are far and few between, no matter where you are from. But if you can get the people Hunting your areas to work for the same common goals it can happen. But thats VERY Hard to do, everyone is at differant points in there hunting career.

I am 39 now and have harvested a fair number of deer, when I was younger I would harvest about the first descent buck that came along,I think everyone does to get it out of there system. But then you set your goals higher and higher. until at some point you will watch them pass and enjoy them for the moment.

I have let walk some pretty good Deer and it does feel good, But I also know that when I do there is a HIGH percentage chance we will cross paths again, So it has allowed for me to be more Vigellant, and for that I am VERY Blessed..

I know a guy I admire very Much, I have hunted with him only 3 times and learned alot from him.he hunts with Noone 99% of the time, As do I 99% of the time. He is in his mid 40's and has 22 P&Y Bucks to his credit. He has killed a P&y for the last 22 years strait. all with Bow...

I asked him one day, what is it yer doing I am not doing, He said simple, your shooting smaller Bucks. I said, But Im not seeing Bigger Bucks, He said. thats because your shoting the smaller Buck and filling your tag, before ever allowing the Bigger Guy to show the error of his ways.

It took me 18 years to figure that out,and a VERYYYYY understanding wife, and one day it clicked... Its time he puts in versus I and also his patience, time on stand is a direct relation to amount of game seen, and of the amount of game seen a few will be good ones. Also a lil Luck and being where BIG deer live and exist helps Immensly.

its coming up on 8 years now that I started listening to him.

Its made all the differance for me, But I am VERY fortunate to have an area where I can be patient, if it were not for that, I would likely be harvesting the best Deer I could Muster under the circumstances I am faced with, and it sounds like your doing Exactly that....

Good Luck to you this season, The pics you have been posting are good Deer, I sure your excited for the upcoming season!!!

Dan "Obh"

wapiti

Reaction score
Very well put OBH! I have tried for years to get people to pass the little bucks. I shame them into it. I say to them when they kill a 24 inch 8 pointer "Nice buck, I have his picture, passed him a time or two." They will then say "Why", my response is then "So a beginner like you could" It usually makes them think twice about just filling a buck tag. Here in KY we can only take one buck. It is equally important to really shoot does. I see 5 bucks to every doe. Shoot a doe instead of a small buck, there's your meat.

Nice pics btw.

COUESNAM

Reaction score
Man I wish we had that problem here in AZ!!! OBH well put. Here it is more like 1 buck to 10 does.

MIbuckdropper

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear about all of your patience in the woods. Passing on the little bucks just makes for bigger bucks. In my area if there is a buck of any caliber its chance of living is slim to none. Great pics. You have a nice area to hunt on. Hope to see some pics when he is in the back of the truck

Haymaker

Reaction score
Another great deer Dan!

You sure have a great area out there. Keep them coming!

RtWill78

Reaction score
I too have recently learned to pass on smaller bucks, however, my brothers (the 4 of us hunt together often) won't pass on smaller bucks. They hold to the "if I don't shoot it then the guy hunting on the next piece of property will shoot it" mentality and I cannot convince all of them (2 of 3) otherwise.

Here's how I see it, Yes the guys you hunt with or that hunt down the road may indeed kill the younger buck that you passed on, but there is always that chance they won't, and he'll grow another year. However, If you don't pass on the younger bucks their chances of getting bigger are Zero.

I do believe that in different parts of the country the definition of smaller buck will be different. For example, to me a 140 - 150 " buck is definantly a shooter, but the biggest I've killed is 120". So is it excusable for someone who hasn't ever shot a 140" to shoot a 140"?

Also how can you tell just by looking the difference between a 2.5 & 3.5 & 4.5 year old buck? Is it more or less a guess?

Great topic everyone.

Ryan

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Ryan,

Aging Deer on the Hoof is really just a gues yes you are rite... But I think most having hunter there areas, have a feel for body size,weight, belly droop, back sag as well as overall look and antler development from harvesting deer over the years and aging them, But its only a guess.

Only way to tell is when there on the ground.

As for your hunting partners, you set the example and stay committed when you start harvesting better bucks year after year, they will start to listen, But your going to have to work twice as hard at it. and maybe you dont harvest one year, thats ok. maybe harvest a doe then to satify the urge and meat needs. In time surrounding mentalities will change. I know amongst people I know it has, and it sure did'nt start with me.

Dan

bowarr

Reaction score
Nice pics Dan! Unlike you, I have been hard pressed as of late to get a decent buck picture. Even though I hunt state land in PA and Ohio, I know that I have a chance at a decent buck every year, and like you said in your post.... patience and determination are the biggest keys to success, along with some good old fashion luck thrown in! Keep the big buck pics coming, I get more jealous with every picture you post....

Bolink654

Reaction score
I would like to point out that some people dont care about trophys.
I hunt because I like the outdoors, and because I havent found a cut of meat that I like better than venison steak fried in butter with some garlic. Therefore, nobody is going to get me to pass on a 'decent' buck. After all, there isnt much more meat on a 3 1/2 vs a 2 1/2yo. I wouldnt shoot a 1/2yo button or spike, however (Even if AR didnt have a 3 on one side rule), nor a 1/2yo doe, since one more year, and they practically double in wieght. That is, unless its the last 2 weeks of archery and I dont have any in the freezer yet.
I see 1 buck to about 10 does anyway. And I've already got a pretty nice one on the wall, which happened to be the first buck I killed (and it was on public land). Dont care to top it, dont think I ever will top it.
And of course, with only 60 acers to hunt (I know many people have WAY more land), if I dont shoot it, the next guy definitly WILL.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Bolink,

You seem offended by your reply to some degree, Its fine to shoot whatever you want to shoot. As long as its legal. But if I may ask if there are 10 does for every Buck, someone must be killing alot of Bucks versus does to have that much of an Inballanced herd.
why is that , shoot the Doe, otherwise Pass the Buck and bring quality to the herd, it will benefit all in the long run, as well as the herd. Does taste good too...

Im not here to make war, But you mention you have a nice one on the wall.
The one you have on the wall must have Impressed you enough top put him there.

If given a choice would you not like to have the opportunity to choose? and you do, Its the mentality of its brown its down or someelse will shoot it that takes from me the rite to pursue trophy caliber deer. I choose to hunt how I do, as do you, But when there are 10 does to every Buck thers an Inballance.

The 60 acres you mention, and those you hunt with on that 60 acres, shoot a doe or 2 this year, and maybe next year, by the thrid year you will see Improvemnts to your hunting area you would not believe, and then maybe everyone will have a chance for a nice one on the wall they can be proud of.

And those that dont care can remain shooting the does, and those that would like a shot at a trophy will be given an opportunity.

something to think about

Good luck this season.

Dan

Latest Posts

Top Bottom