Nice, cheap video camera!

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Ever since seeing some of the video trail cams a few of you guys have made, I have been itching to build one.  I am getting frustrated with waiting a week to get my pictures developed, and it's starting to get expensive.  I looked at digital, but the low end digital cameras flash range sucks.  

I came across the following video camera which is cheap and has a built in motion sensor.  http://www.electrobuys.com/

It's built by Panosonic.  Any of you guys ever tried one?  All it will need it looks like is a timer board, and maybe a spotlight.  

I forgot to put the model number down.  It is the Quasar VMD51.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 7:20 pm on Nov. 19, 2001)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Here is the link directly to Panasonic.

Panasonic

Seems like the light source could be seperate form the camera, each having thier own motion sensing capabilities.

Possum

Reaction score
Where does it say it has a built in motion detector?  If it has that then hooking a light into the existing light on the cam should not be that difficult.  Also, what model are we talking about?

gizz

Reaction score
I'm not sure what model your looking at but I looked at some of their DV models a while back that had the built in motion sensor and If memory serves correctly they worked off of "motion" and not "heat". Meaning they'd be going off when the wind blew the trees...etc. I remember emailing Panasonic and they never replied so I'm not 100% sure on this. If these things would work on heat then all you'd have to do is put it into and enclosure and let it do its thing. I also think I remember the light was automatic as in "as needed".
Keep checking and find out what you can, i'd be interested as well.

Possum

Reaction score
Just sent an email to Panasonic asking about the sensor.   Also , asked about the schematic for the cam.  Wow, just got an automated response from them saying customer service is from 9 to 5 and they will try to answer ASAP.  I might call some video repair guys and ask if this type sensor can be modified to a PIR.  I bet it can.  Seems like you would simply modify the camera to accept the PIR as the initiating device and run the camera off the output from the PIR.  Then increase the resistor value of the PIR to stay active for more time.  The camera already has a shutoff device when the original sensor is not activated so I would assume that is a seperate system and would not need to be modified.  Add a external light to be activated when the existing light sensor says it needs to come on and I think you would have it.  Sounds easy, but I bet Tinhorn and Brian have a different story.

jayber

Reaction score
Interesting find Jaggermax......thanks for sharing.....I look forward to learning more on this potential soon!

JohnnyP

Reaction score
Anyone have more info on this cam?  I saw an add for it in our paper and it did mention it had a motion detector.  It was on sale for $197...might have to go take a peek.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom