Nissan vs Toyota

sean english

I have had two Tacomas so far, both the older body style 2001-2004. I loved that body style. The most rugged and reliable.
Now I am in the market to get a used truck again. (I only consider toyo and nissan) I am finding that nissan makes its trucks with lower clearance and toyota with higher. I love toyota. Nissan on the other hand is more affordable. I went and saw one this afternoon but what dont like about them is that they are low. dont get me wrong I am not a fan of very high trucks after all most of my driving is done in the city. but that occaisional off roading to hunt upland birds, requires something with a better clearance than a stock nissan. I did look at a video in youtube on how to raise it myself. (I am not the most mechanically inclined person you might find walking the planet but think I can handle this project) What do I need to consider if I want to raise it just a bit like 2.5 inch. ? I have no intention of making it a monster truck or something costly and complicated. Something that will make it high a bit to get me to that occaisional hunt and doesnt cost me an arm and a leg. Here is the tacoma that is making me crazy but its overpriced but its a beautiful color and the nissan i am thinking about getting. :skeered:

sean english

Seriously? I have never owned nissan before but its Nissan, its Japanese. Its up there right next to Toyota. No?

solus

Dad has a Frontier and its junk. Its a '12 and he hates it. Ive used it for hunting and the gears are so screw it slams between gears roughly every second if you are driving really slow.

dthome

I've had both. Put thousands into the Nissan for repairs. Almost no repairs needed for the tacoma after 11 years.

Mel Carter

Toyota all the way. Just bought a 2014 Tundra Crewmax and love it. I've had several toyotas over the years, never a problem. The money you save on the Nissan will be spent in repairs, probably saving overall in the long run going with the toyota.

mojavejohn

Hey Sean, I had the same dilemma when I bought my son used truck a few years ago. I bought a Nissan Frontier over a Taco because of the difference in price. What I thought was a decent deal ended up costing me a bunch in the end. I've spent upwards of $3000 keeping that thing on the road. It only had 106,000 on the ODO. when I bought it. Now, the last Toy. I had bought used was an '83 pickup, many years ago. I really didn't have many maintenance issues with that truck. I now own an FJ Cruiser that I bought new a couple of years ago. It's a great machine and almost no problems. My buddies that have owned Nissan's have also said the same thing about them, crap! I won't buy another Nissan. The money that you save in the initial purchase price will be used to fix it. I'm not saying that you couldn't get stung buying a used Taco., but I like the odds of getting VS that of the Toy. My next truck is going to be a Taco. Good luck.

JustGuy

Banned
Hay, Americans!!! what about pride??Where is support for our country? Buy Ford F-150:patiotic-wavin-flag

Last edited:

sean english

I am convinced. Thanks for sharing. I love the Tacos. The most reliable trucks ever. Just wanted a change. I particularly like the red one.

Wino

My brother just sold his 04 taco for a F-150 with the eco-boost last year. The F-150 with the eco-boastblew a seal in the tranny at 18000. Lot of other little things are bothering him as well. Also it doesnt get even close to the mileage they say it would. He said if he drives on flat ground with a good tail wind he'll get close to 22mpg. He wants his taco back. I had a taco. 200K miles on it an no problems at all. I sold mine because I need to pay medical bills after my strokes. Now....sadly I drive a Mazda mini van. Before my taco I had a Toyota '89 sr5 4x4. I cant even remember how many miles where on that thing. I think close to 300K. I sold that because I needed something with a bigger engine to tow my boat. Remember who had a Nissian that let him down when he needed it the most? Christopher Dorner. Broke the axel so he burned it and walked away. And now he's dead. See..Nissians kill![h=3][/h]

fishingeek

As the current owner of a 99 Taco, a 2007 Expy 5.4 and 00 Pathfinder, I can tell you the Taco is by far the winner. I love all 3 for different reasons, but the Taco has been put through more hell than the Ford or Nissan and still requires less maintenance. Toyota, they really know what the hell they're doing.

cjack

Hay, Americans!!! what about pride??Where is support for our country? Buy Ford F-150:patiotic-wavin-flag
2014 Dodge has served me very well for the past year but almost every vehicle nowadays is made of parts from multiple countries......my 3500 was assembled in Mexico. Tacomas are made in the U.S by a Japanese owned company.

54hawken

at 100k taco is just broke in Nissan is worn out and ford is falling apart. My 96 taco has 332000 miles on it with a few minor repairs, engine should go 450-500000 before I have to rebuild it

bughalli

You can't go wrong with a Toyota, but I have to say I have a 2001 Nissan with 211,000 miles and it still runs great. Daily driver. Every year I say this will be the year something goes and the repair doesn't justify keeping it...but I've been saying it for years now. So no complaints. Very few, if any repairs. Last year some sensors went out, which cost more than they should, but you'll run into that with any older truck. Great truck. I don't know what I'll get next, but given my experience with reliability, it will probably come down to which styling I like.

solus

I wont buy another nissan, dad has has a toyota since 89 and is still running after having about 15 drivers on it (work truck), and my ford truck has over 130k on it and has very little issues besides the wheel bearing going out a few months ago but thats just wear and tear cause it was also my work truck when i worked out in palm springs

Davio

Just got 2014 Toyota Tundra TRD 4x4. I love it. I also own a 1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5. The Tacoma has 160,000 miles on it, it has been a reliable truck with very few problems. I would have say go with the Toyota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dblsmk

I was looking at the Tacoma when the Tundra TRD Rock Warrior caught my eye. First Toy I've owned since a FJ 40 I bought in '68. I really like the product the company puts out and hope mine lives up to the hype I'm hearing. As a side note, don't be swayed by the Rock Warrior label, the truck is low enough I would only drive it over 3/4" gravel. I'm still happy with Toyota.

Top Bottom