NJ legislation would end dead deer display on vehicles

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Bill would end era of dead deer on vehicles

By Kathleen Cannon, Burlington County Times staff writer

TRENTON - Object to the sight of a deer carcass strapped to the trunk of a hunter's car? There may be relief on the way.

Legislation sponsored by Sen. Martha Bark, R-8th of Medford, allowing hunters to transport deer in covered truck cabs or car trunks passed the state Assembly yesterday.

The proposal seeks to change a 70-year-old law that requires hunters to display the deer on their way home.

Larry Herrighty of the state Bureau of Wildlife Management said the proposal is an acknowledgement that many people object to the sight of dead deer. It is also a reflection of a beefed-up hunting enforcement system that does not require hunters to consistently display their catch in an effort to thwart poaching, he said.

Hunters would still be allowed to strap the deer on the trunk if they wanted to.

"They might still want to do that if they're using their wife's luxury vehicle,'' Herrighty said.

Bark said state wildlife officials asked her to sponsor the bill. She welcomed the idea.

"I'm not fond of driving by and seeing the deer,'' she said.

The opening day of firearm buck season is Monday, but the old law is still in effect for now.

The bill passed 75-0 and now heads to the Assembly for consideration.

Friday, November 30, 2001

East Coast

Reaction score
Good old New Jersey.  I used to live there and it is definitely not a pro hunting state.  They have many laws that don't make sense.  

For example You can't hunt with a rifle, period.  The logic is that the state is too densley populated.  Trust me, there are plenty of wilderness areas where it is safe.  In fact, most of the state is rural.  It just has large populations due to the suburbs of New York City and Philadelphia.

I always hunted in New York and Pennsylvania.  Great states that support the sportsman a little better.

EC

jackrabbit

Reaction score
It really is no longer in "good taste" to display a dead carcass.  On the last Sunday of D-7 season here in central California, a couple guys had the head and antlers of a decent sized 4 point buck strapped on the front of their 4x4 pickup looking like a Texas Longhorn hood ornament.  I thought it looked cool, but I knew it was going to raise eyebrows on the way down the mountain as all the resort area collector roads funneled into the main four-lane towards town.  Sure enough, there was a huge congregation of game wardens at the bottom of the four-lane checking hunter vehicles, and screening all vehicles.  Well, there were quite a few family sedans in the lane, with children, who were very verbal about seeing "bambi" beheaded on the hood of that pickup.  The wardens were pretty loud when they sent that pickup over to the "extra-special check area on the side of the road."  If that guy did not have every little item in order in his vehicle, I'm sure they nailed him.  To quote the warden I talked to, "he's not at all politically correct!"

kuff

Reaction score
I think a little common sense would go a long way with some of the hunters who like to "show off" their kill. Not everyone appreciates seeing a trophy like I do.I think while driving thru town with it hanging out the back of the truck or while waiting in the drive up lane a McDonalds might be uncomfortable for some. Simply closing the tailgate might do the job to give the bunny huggers one less thing to bitch about.
Also here in Illinois we can't hunt with rifle for deer, but you can use one in the same timber for yotes. Doesn't make much sense to me especially when during deer you need orange and for yote you don't.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Me personally....I was never a  big supporter of guys tying there dead deer to the roof, fender, or trunk lid. With the Anti hunting movement of todays world, that is just one more piece of ammunition for their gun. I realize not everyone that hunts has the fortune of driving a pickup truck, and have no other choice but to "display" their kill. On the way home from deer camp on Tuesday, I saw guys with pickup trucks, that had the heads propped up and looking out the back tailgate, guys that had the four feet sticking straight up into the air, just to let everyone know they were successful...I don't know, I guess I feel that we don't have to rub it in everyone's face, sure, I am as proud as the next guy when I get a buck, but I am selective about who I brag in front of. I am by no means ashamed of being a hunter, I guess my thoughts are more directed towards how a small child feels when he/she sees the decapitated head of "bambi" attached to the front of a vehicle!!!!This is of course, just my opinion, and I am not trying to get anything stirred up.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
i think we should show alittle more respect than beheading the deer and strapping it to the front of the truck.  as a hunter that kind of pisses me off .  just think what it does to the antis

my 2 cents worth.   have some respect.

East Coast

Reaction score
I agree that showing disrespect for your trophy is in bad taste.  I do not feel, however,  that we as hunters must give in to any unjustified PC requirements brought on by non-hunters.  As for children, if they are worried about seeing "bambi" dead then they need to be educated on the facts of life and about the overall beauty and importance of hunting.  If their parents are not hunters and do not understand this, then we need to educate them as well.

As a single guy I usually have to educate my dates (usually thinking hunting is terrible and cruel) about the sport.  In the end, most end up fully understanding why we hunt.

EC

huntducks

Reaction score
Hold on here, my attitude is F### the anti-hunters there is NOTHING your going to do short of stop hunting that will change there mind. ever try to hide a elk in your pick up bed, why start with a deer, I shot a nice buck 4x4 up on Sierra peak in Corona in 1968 all I had was a VW bug it was either the front seat or tied to the roof.

I don't think it was in good taste to tie the head to the grill on the guys in D-7, but if they did not brake the law then the DFG should have minded there own business and left some lucky honest deer hunters alone.

Our biggest problem we have as hunters is we keep trying to hide what we enjoy doing and keep making excuses to others like friends and family why we do it, stand up and tell people you HUNT.

OC hunter

Reaction score
Double-Standard?
I don't know why, but I feel a little uneasy about someone using a beheaded buck as a hood ornament and I don't know how to feel about strapping a deer to fender.  Yet I feel it is my absolute duty to cut off the tail of all my "Toad, homeguard" Yellowtail and proudly display them.  Nothing like a picture of a full sack with tails sticking out or a deck covered with a couple hundred Yellowtails.

sdbowyer

Reaction score
Tarp is one of the cheapest materials known to man.  Respect sensibilities, respect game, protect the sport.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
I gotta to agree that respect should be shown to the animals we love to hunt.  After all they're not the enemy.  Would'nt mind seeing Osama's head used as a hood ornament, but he is the enemy.
And I think the sight of a dead animal whether it's a dog on the side of the road, or a deer on a car hood is disturbing to children and some people.  This sometimes has nothing to do with being anti-hunter.  In fact most people who do not hunt are NOT anti-hunter, they just have no interest in the sport, just like I think golf courses should be converted to duck and bass clubs.  
I just think it's good taste to cover or conceal a dead animal when were amons't the general public.  

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
huntducks,

Last figures I saw were something like 10% of USA is hunters, 10% is antis and the rest are undecided or don't care. When a hunting or fishing issue comes up in a vote, I'm sure hoping that 80% will vote in our favor and not remember the idiots who paraded a deer head on their hood.

As many have said here, common sense goes along ways.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
Hey OC

A FullSack of mossbacks sure sounds good about now!!!

(Edited by FullSack at 10:09 pm on Dec. 4, 2001)

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
I JUST READ MY POST AGAIN AND I LEFT OUT THAT I MEANT SHOW RESPECT TO THE ANIMAL NOT THE ANTI'S. PISS ON THE ANTI'S THIS IS AMERICA, IM AN AMERICAN, ILL DO WHAT I WANT BUT I WILL NOT DISRESPECT ANYBODY INTENTIONALLY UNLESS THEY DISRESPECT ME.   BEHEADING A DEER AND STRAPPING  IT TO THE FRONT OF A VEHICLE AS IF ITS A HOOD ORNAMENT IS STUPID.  IDONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE TRANSPORTING A KILL HOWEVER THEY WANTBUT LETS USE SOME COMMON SENSE. THE BEHEADING AND STRAPPING TO THE FRONT WAS NOT TRANSPORTING THAT WAS SHOWING IGNORANCE.  WE HAVE ENOUGH SLOBS OUT THERE ALREADY HUNTING.  THESE GUYS WERE NOT HUNTERS BECAUSE HUNTERS DONT DISGRACE AN ANIMAL LIKE THAT!!!!!!

Slugblaster

Reaction score
Politial Corectness is for "We the Sheeple" who let the crowd at Starbucks tell them whats Hip and whats not. I came home from a trip last Feb. with 2 pigs and a ram skinned in the back of my truck. They were covered with a tarp but the hooves still stood up. Along with my Bumper Sticker that reads "I love animals, They're Delicious." I have always got positive feedback on that Sticker. Even here in L.A. county.

Top Bottom