NO COYOTES IN CARRIZO

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Just got in from hunting coyotes in the Carrizo Plains yesterday & today.

Weather shortened our hunt a little, but still made approx 8 calling stands with no results. However, as we were driving out we jumped one coyote at about 100 yards. He took off like a scalded cat of course. Caught him in the wide open and "could" have had lots of shooting.  Of course our rifles were all put away nice and neat as not to get them damaged or worn out from too much use.

We did reduce the squirrel population a little bit.  That was fun.  

On Quail, we jumped 3 coveys, so they are still coveyed up. I would think not for long though. Perhaps April they may be broken up into pairs?

Anyhow, sorry Hook on the sloppy yote work; guess I do need to take up golf? LOL

Frank

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Frank, sorry to hear you didn't bag a dog, better luck next time. I'm thinking of going up there in May when the wheather warms up and the yotes are not in there dens as much. Maybe it will turn out to be the next JHP hunt .

Hook

Reaction score
Frank,

Don't feel too bad, I just think they are not cooperating this time of year. We will have to head up there in late spring/early summer to even the score on the coyotes.
"He who laughs last........"

The squirrels are always fun to shoot and allow you to practice your markmanship skills too.
Looks like you found a good quail spot for next season.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks Thonzberry & Hook,

We did have a great time. I think you're right and am going to wait for spring / early summer before trying it again. It would be great for a JHP hunt.

Besides, while I'm waiting for spring to get here, I can have my mini 14 accurized with a new heavy barrel, trigger & bedding job and back by then. Only problem with that is, it may eliminate my excuses for not hitting anything. lol  

Frank

Terrierman

Reaction score
whats the coverage like on the Carrizo Plains area? Do the Yotes, den underground commonly there?

Hook

Reaction score
Terrierman,

There is a wide variety of terrain there, rolling hills, brushy hill sides, sage flats and rocky areas. They can den up in many areas. I believe most coyotes den up in some kind of hole, wether they dig it themselves or find some type of cave. They won't venture too far from the den in search of food. So hunting them this time of year gets difficult.

Frank,

That mini should be a sweet shooter when it's done. We'll have to plan a trip out there when you get it finished.  

(Edited by Hook at 11:22 am on Mar. 19, 2002)

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Hay Frank, Who are you going to have do the work on your mini14 for you. I know of a really good smith that does that type of work at a good price from what I under stand. I had him do some work on a 10/22 that I have and man is it sweet now.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
wildbirdhunter... A place called Accuracy Rifle Systems (ARS) in Texas. They have been accurizing mini 14's for 20 years for Federal, State & local law enforcement as well as for the sportsman.  However, I would like to check out the one your talking about if you will give me the name & phone #. Either post or E mail me is fine!  

Terrierman... The terrain is like Hook says and does vary a lot, with some thick and scattered pinyon's thrown in the mix also.

Hook... I would like getting together for a Carrizo coyote hunt.  I'll be chomping at the bit by then to try my remodeled 14.  And like you say, hopefully the yotes will be more cooperative.  (or I learn how to call better :)

Frank    

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Frank here is the info on the smith you asked for His name is Randy. I can tell you he do very very very good work. Just to let you know the 10/22 Ts that he has done tune-up on are shooting 240 and 250s at 25yard on USB targets with the wolf target ammo. . My 10/22 that I had him work on shoots 235 and 240s with CCI stander velocity stuff with a bad barrel. Plus he will do a calhoon .19/223 chamber for the mini14s.
http://www.ct-precision.com/

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks wildbirdhunter, I will check him out and see what happens. I would say that's accurate enough on your 10/22 (smile).  Sounds sweet it indeed!  

Thanks Again !

Frank

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
No problem Frank always happy to help. Randy is really nice to deal with he also does other stuff that is not listed but you need to call him and ask plus his prices are low for the quality work he does.   WBH

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Your explinations of "denning up" make sense. Just tried my first hunt for coyotes on Monday night east of Hemet in areas I know there is a huge coyote population. We had no response in either place. We figured it was our call, but I like your thoughts on our failure better!! Wasn't a wasted trip though 1 squirrel and 1 rattler.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
JDC, Welcome to Jesse's.  Was reading your post in the Mule/blacktail section.  That should help out or San Diego members quite a bit.  You'll find the co-operation and attitude here a lot better than some of other forums.  We've got a great bunch of great guys here, with a ton of us from California.  Glad your with us.  

Bigman

Reaction score
Norman New Guy/Gal I grew Up in Hemet and Mom and Pop still live there.  I was wondering if you might give up a spot or two so I can take my Dad out hunting when I am there.  They still live in Valley Vista, but most of my Dad and I's old hunting spots are houses now.

Bigman

Reaction score
Sorry that should have been addressed to JDC, I am new and still getting used to posting.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Yeah, but what already worries me JDC is, what "reason" will I use once dening season is over with?!  It could get real embarrasing especially after I spent all that money on "customizing" a gun just for coyotes and then no coyotes to shoot, due to their being denned up all year round.  

Frank

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Bishop on 12:59 pm on April 3, 2002
JDC, Welcome to Jesse's.  Was reading your post in the Mule/blacktail section.  That should help out or San Diego members quite a bit.  You'll find the co-operation and attitude here a lot better than some of other forums.  We've got a great bunch of great guys here, with a ton of us from California.  Glad your with us.  
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Thank you for the warm welcome. This is the first hunting forum I have ever found that I cared to join. I really appreciate the fact it is dedicated (for the most part) to California hunters.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Bigman on 2:14 pm on April 3, 2002
Norman New Guy/Gal I grew Up in Hemet and Mom and Pop still live there.  I was wondering if you might give up a spot or two so I can take my Dad out hunting when I am there.  They still live in Valley Vista, but most of my Dad and I's old hunting spots are houses now.

<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

If you are looking for coyotes:
Take 74 towards Idywild. About 5 miles outside of Valle Vista there is a Ranger station on the right. Go past that, and across the fist bridge. About 75 yards past the bridge, there is a road on the left. Forest Service maps label it as Bee Canyon. About 2 miles back you will run into some shooting areas (target pracitce) keep going. At about 5 miles you will come to a huge lookout / turn around. One road will go straight and drop down into a valley, the other road is on your right and leads up the hill. The canyon you are looking at straight in front of you is one of the places I haven't hunted, but have listened to large #'s of coyotes howling when sitting up there late in the evening.

Top Bottom