no diode on reed relay?

fishboy1

Reaction score
What happens if you dont use a diode on a reed relay?  Found my problem with the cam and it seems to be that the diode shorts out the whole thing when soldered across the relay.   DO I have a bad diode? or can I get away without using one?

How do you check if your diode is bad?

David

bat

Reaction score
fishboy1, if I can make a suggestion to you??? Being this sounds like your first cam and you are having such a BIG!!!! problem with getting it to work.....LISTEN UP!  #1 Buy you a cheap 9v battery for the first one instead of trying all that other stuff with the 12v system that seems not to work for you and a RS 5v relay and be sure and use the diode by wiring it exactly like the diagram shows...with the silver band side soldered to the wire coming from the #2 pin.  The other end should go to the wire going to the battery negative...should be "no" voltage on the negative wire.  #2 This unless I am wrong should not have anything to do with the led as it is connected on the opposite side of the DPDT switch of the led.  The led should be independent of the trigger for the camera on the DPDT switch.  The led is on one side of the switch and the camera mode is on the other side.  All you are doing is using the DPDT switch to toggle to either the led or the camera, if both are working on one side then you "do not" have it wired per the diagram.  #3 Don't make it harder on the first cam then it really is..it is really simple.  #4  Rule of thumb....KISTTP=KEEP IT SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT!  You wire that baby up like that and use the parts listed for it from either RS or the same part from another supplier......I guarnatee  gurantee  guarantee  whatever.....never could spell that word.  
:batwings:

(Edited by bat at 9:29 pm on Aug. 15, 2002)

fishboy1

Reaction score
YAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOO!

Got it to work!   Decided to check the diode,  direct short on the one for the relay.   No current at all one way on the new one and a small reading the other!!  Turned the old diode over and lookie there a crack in the insulator.   Problem solved!!!

Now to put it all in the box and set it up for testing.  Good thing I have about 20 rolls of free expired film to test on before setting it out in the woods. I see a lot of dog photos in my near future.

Special thanks to Bat, Tinhorn and all the rest for your help!!!!!!!  

David

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Congrats, now lets see some pics when you get it back from the woods. MC.

Top Bottom