No lead for D7 deer, bear or pig

madhunter

Reaction score
Now that the regulations are out for 2008 CA big game we can no longer use lead bullets for hunting big game in D7. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative ammunition?

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Browse thru Midway's site. I'm sure you will find something.

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (madhunter @ Apr 21 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now that the regulations are out for 2008 CA big game we can no longer use lead bullets for hunting big game in D7. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative ammunition?[/b]

Slingshot????

Common Sense

Reaction score
Thanks for the list tmoniz. My grandson just turned 12, I had planned to let him use my father's deer rifle to harvest his first deer. As expected, didn't see any 30-40 krag cartridges on the list.

Should I be a good boy and have him use one of the .270's, or should I stick with my plan?

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I really do not know how they are going to enforce it CS.
The 30 40 sounds pretty cool.
Maybe play it safe and go with the 270.
I'm not even sure what the fine will be for that matter.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Just spoke to Craig Stowers, the Deer Program Coordinator. At that time he had about eight manufacturers who had submitted their ammo for certification under the DFG's new process. A list of certified ammo should be out soon.

MadHunter, I believe the only non-lead bullet available for the .270 and .243 is made by Barnes right now, so you'll need something from Federal, Cor-Bon (if they get certified), or Black Hills (if they get certified).

The individual ammo maker will have to be certified, so just because they use Barnes bullets will NOT make them legal in CA.

If you reload, then you're good to go, although you're still limited to Barnes for the .270 and .243.

CS, any choice to flaunt the law is purely up to you. However, since your decision would impact not only you as a consenting adult, but the kid too... is that really what you want to do?

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Apr 21 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
CS, any choice to flaunt the law is purely up to you. However, since your decision would impact not only you as a consenting adult, but the kid too... is that really what you want to do?[/b]

It is not what I want to do. But I can't buy the krag ammo, at any price. This is suppose to protect a bird that hasn't been seen in D8 in over twenty years???????????

DAWG

Reaction score
It is what it is. My kid did a his science fair project on lead absorbtion in an acid soltion simmilar to that in a condor's digestive system. Not the results we were hoping for, lead and collected bullet fragments were readily absorbed. Oh well, they won first place in the high school catagory they were in at the Kern County science fair. Eating what is left of the carcasses or gutpiles shot with lead bullets would be tough on a condor. I guess the extra cost of ammunition/bullets is in the noise, especially with gas prices today. Might be a pain if you had an odball caliber and can't reload.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Common Sense @ Apr 21 2008, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speckmisser @ Apr 21 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CS, any choice to flaunt the law is purely up to you. However, since your decision would impact not only you as a consenting adult, but the kid too... is that really what you want to do?[/b]

It is not what I want to do. But I can't buy the krag ammo, at any price. This is suppose to protect a bird that hasn't been seen in D8 in over twenty years???????????
[/b][/quote]
Hmm...

A box of TSX loaded ammo for the .270 = $40

The fine for hunting with lead ammo = $XXX (guaranteed to be way more than $40)

Teaching your kid that the law is only relevant as long as you choose to comply... Priceless.

imnrut

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Common Sense @ Apr 21 2008, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It is not what I want to do. But I can't buy the krag ammo, at any price. This is suppose to protect a bird that hasn't been seen in D8 in over twenty years???????????[/b]
I'm with you CS. "What mama don't know, won't hurt her."
I'm still unsure of how they could physically prove that a condor MIGHT ingest lead fragments from scavenging on a dead deer. Ya, I'm sure it could happen but we could also get hit by a dump truck while fetching the morning paper too. I wish I grew up fifty years ago.

Oh, and don't let Speck get on your nerves.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I have a great deal of respect for Speck's opinion, whether I agree with him or not, but he won't "get on my nerves". I also have more trust in my 12 year old grandson's ability to determine right vs. wrong than I do in the idiots in Sacramento and Washington DC.

Effective 7-1-08 it will be illegal for me to shoot ground squirrels with my .22 on my property in the middle of the sticks in D8. Do you really think I will follow that law? Do you really think I will tell my grandson he can't shoot them anymore?

My cabin is four or five miles from any public lands. If rabbits start eatting my wife's flowers and she tells me to do something about it, do you really think I will tell her to wait until the season opens on 7-1-08? If a deer was doing the same, I wouldn't shoot it. Shooting the deer would be wrong because it would not stay on my property and shooting the deer might infringe upon other peoples rights. If I shoot a few rabbits it won't interfer with other people, because them rabbits or their offspring would never leave my property.

If I could buy lead free .22 shells, I would, even though I don't think it is right. I will buy lead free shells for the .270, even though I don't think it is right. If I could buy lead free 30-40 Krag shells, I would.

What is right and what is the law is not always the same. And though I think we should do our best to follow all reasonable laws; I think it is more important to do what is right than to obey the law.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I have a great deal of respect for Speck's opinion, whether I agree with him or not, but he won't "get on my nerves". I also have more trust in my 12 year old grandson's ability to determine right vs. wrong than I do in the idiots in Sacramento and Washington DC.

Effective 7-1-08 it will be illegal for me to shoot ground squirrels with my .22 on my property in the middle of the sticks in D8. Do you really think I will follow that law? Do you really think I will tell my grandson he can't shoot them anymore?

My cabin is four or five miles from any public lands. If rabbits start eatting my wife's flowers and she tells me to do something about it, do you really think I will tell her to wait until the season opens on 7-1-08? If a deer was doing the same, I wouldn't shoot it. Shooting the deer would be wrong because it would not stay on my property and shooting the deer might infringe upon other peoples rights. If I shoot a few rabbits it won't interfer with other people, because them rabbits or their offspring would never leave my property.

If I could buy lead free .22 shells, I would, even though I don't think it is right. I will buy lead free shells for the .270, even though I don't think it is right. If I could buy lead free 30-40 Krag shells, I would.

What is right and what is the law is not always the same. And though I think we should do our best to follow all reasonable laws; I think it is more important to do what is right than to obey the law.

baboltin

Reaction score
my question is are varmint consitered part of the lead band?

madhunter

Reaction score
The way I read it you can not shoot ground squirrels or coyotes with lead .22 or smaller rim fire because they are often left in the field. You can shoot tree squirrels, cotton tails and jack rabbits with .22 lead bullets because they are game animals and it is illegal to waste them.

Common Sense

Reaction score
But it is still legal to shoot ground squirrels with lead pellets. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it. Especially since every authority says condors do not even eat ground squirrels.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom