No luck so far

StringShooter

Reaction score
After bowhunting and spending some time hunting during firearms season, I have returned empty handed.

Many of my days spent bowhunting were under a very bright moon in the mornings and the rut could not get rolling. I have chosen to take a larger buck than last year and thus far have had no luck getting him. I have seen the buck of my choice but he has been out to 100 yards or better each time. He is really nice and is working the middle of the ridges during the afternoon hours.

Lots of spikes and below adverage 8 points have been the only deer willing to get within bow range.

Contrary to lots of reports, the rut has yet to get underway in many Missouri counties. The bucks are ready and are making more rubs and scrapes each day. The problem is the does are not willing to help. I will tell you that when the first doe reaches her estrus period where you are hunting, you will know it. No such action yet. Some small bucks are hanging out with a few does but the "big boys" are still holding tight and not willing to show much of themselves. I am seeing the big ones well after shooting hours and the one goof ball at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Now I am waiting till firearms season ends and am going to give it another try. I may take a doe for some meat but hopefully will still run in to something worth while.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I have seen the same thing,it seems the rut is going then "bang" it all stops,a freind of mine shot a nice 8 point chaseing a doe,she actually had several smaller bucks chaseing her also,but outside of that it turned off just as suddenly.Seems to have just been an oddball doe.
 Im down till after gun season but then will be hitting the woods really hard right away,i want to be there when the rut hits just right.

Duke

Reaction score
I haven't really noticed that they have been acting like they are in rut.  Only buck I've seen is a little 5 point.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I hunted all last week, well, almost all, and hardly seen any deer till Wed when I seen 5 bucks looking for Does (I guess) that morning.  

1st, a spike ran thru the corner where my buddy was on stand, then a smallish 8 pt walked along the field, slapping his horns on every overhanging branch (and went by my buddy).  Then about an hour later, a larger 8pt came by circling in the woods, with his head down, sniffing for a trail, looked like.

about 10am we were together talking about the deer then a 10pt ran by about a hunnert yards from us, head held high.  The next day, we hunted till 10am and when we were driving out, the 10 pt was bedded down with a fawn....we drove about 5 yards from them as we left the field on a dirt road.......They let us look at them for about 10 sec's before they skeedaddled!

but before and after that, all we seen were lessor deer, and not many of those.  I had two movement cams out but they hardly got any pix's...

A flock of turks walked by one, near my buddy, and he said they only putted a few times when the cam took their pix,  no other indication anything happened.

I watched all this commotion go on over at his stand, almost could see him.....he's a regular Game Magnet but at least he didnt get one  :)

Gun Season (1st w/e) I only dabbled at deer hunting, too tired and will hit it hard with my Muzzle Laoder either next w/e or in Dec.....

Tinhorn

StringShooter

Reaction score
I really beleive that the muzzle loader hunt in December will be very productive. We do have a late rut this year and you may just hit it at the right time.

Duke

Reaction score
Hopefully they will do it this weekend.  I wouldn't mind it in the muzzleloader season, but duck huntn will take up most of my time.

Chairman

Reaction score
I agree - something's up (or down) - I haven't seen much action (or deer) so far.  I finally got my first deer during rifle season - last night.  I've been hunting the woods & fields very hard.  I saw a nice buck the other morning, but he was on property I didn't have permission to hunt.  All I could do was watch him....  Anyway, you'll never guess where I shot my deer from, last night.  My PORCH!  That's right - I haven't been seeing much action in the woods & fields, but I noticed some activity near my driveway (I live on 80 acres)after coming in from the woods, the other night.  Since I've yet to put any meat in the freezer this season, I figured "Why not"?  It wasn't a biggun', but my freezer has FINALLY quit giving me those dirty looks.  I setup on my porch at 5 o'clock last night (felt silly doing so), and at 5:05 I'd shot my first deer of this season - Geez....  This season has been SO strange, this year!

The first thing I thought of, after shooting the deer last night, was my icon here at Jesse's - sure looks the way I felt.  I guess I'm a true hillbilly now.. :D  Sittin' on the porch in a rocking chair, with rifle in hand! LOL  (If nothing else, I had to laugh at myself & the situation)

(Edited by Chairman at 9:07 am on Nov. 17, 2001)

Duke

Reaction score
I finally think they are starting to rut.  I got a 9 pt. that came in off the grunt call.  His antlers were a greenish tint from all of the rubbing and his neck was swelling.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Congrats Chairman on your first deer and Duke on your 9 pointer.

This had to be the most depressing year for me in Missouri since I started hunting in 1965. Over 10 days I saw maybe 15 deer and I usually see that many in a good day. Never saw any bucks chasing any does. Wierd. Too hot also to do any still hunting for very long.

I got on a big buck track near the Mississippi River and he headed for private CRP land real quick. Several locals were onto him also. Never did see him but by the way the locals were drooling he must have been a dandy. One of the bigger whitetail tracks I've seen, almost as big as some  of the desert muleys out here who have huge tracks. That's a .300 winmag shell which is 3 1/4" long for reference.

The counts at the check ins showed it was about an average harvest, I guess I just was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Dad got a doe and had a couple of chance to fill his other 2 tags on our farm but he couldn't get a clear shot. Neightbors took one nice 8 pointer and a lil forkie.

Saw one heck of a bow buck pic at Butch's in Palmyra in NE Missouri. Guy got it near Monroe City 11/5/01. Anybody know the guy? Massive main beams, 22" wide and a 12 pointer if I remember right. Didn't hear any green score but he looked good for the book with room to spare. Butch said the guy takes 2 bucks like this every year so he must have one honey of a spot.

Saw a couple pics of nice uns posted on the wall in Labelle Missouri at the store there. Mostly local deer.

Saw the usual road hunters pop a deer right down from me while watching a treeline in a conservation area. Also saw someone gutted a deer on a boat launch and just left the guts right in the middle of the launch. Didn't even bother to push it into the river for the fish to feed on. Really wonder why we have to be lumped in with these idjits when hunting and our image is discussed.

Really missed out not being able to bowhunt, saw quite a few turkeys that needed close shaves from my broadheads. Next year. Found some new turkey holes that should pay off in the spring if the cord I tied them up with holds till then.

StringShooter

Reaction score
Your right, I am going to mark this year down as one of the worst in quite some time.

The funny thing is, the deer are around but are not showing themselves hardly at all.

A cold front is on our doorstep right now but I’m back to work. I’m sure it will warm back up nicely when I get some time off :smile-big-blue:

(Edited by StringShooter at 6:42 am on Nov. 19, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I decided to pass on this gun season and wait for Dec and Muzzle Loader season but most of my friends didnt do very well.  (I had bowhuntetd all the week before and was tuckered out)

Of course, about 200 yds from my fence, a neighbor got a 10 pointer, they said was a dandy.  I got a distant pix of him but couldn't tell what it was (with Movement CAm)

Congrats to the guys who got one!

Chairman, you don't by chance turkey hunt near Salem do you?   I used to hunt at this one place (Nat'l Forest) years ago and sometimes drive by there during turk season (just to remember the old days).  Usually there is a wheel chair setting out by a van, he gets on an ATV and heads out to the turkey woods.  I've talked to him several times, nice guy....

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 With the cold front moving in im hopefull,after tonight i got 6 days off work for the Holidays and will be hitting it hard.
 Then another 12 days off for Christmas for that late season hunt,still have 2 tags left since i passed everything up earlier in the season.

Chairman

Reaction score
Congrat's, Duke!  I haven't had any responses to grunts or rattling.  There is a nice buckon my property, but he busts me every time.  He's the same one I saw in my neighbors field the other day.  I just can't seem to catch him when he's on my property.  I've seen him once on my property (his flag, anyway), and my neighbor told me he's seen him on my property a few times.  He's an older buck, with a huge body & nice rack.  He didn't get that way by being stupid!  I'm gonna try to outsmart him during the remainder of bow season.  I feel a challenge coming on.....

Wow, Jesse - I think I'd be drooling too, at seeing tracks like that.

Tinhorn - Nope, that wouldn't be me.  I've only hunted in Benton County, near Edwards & Henry County, near Clinton.  I've never hunted public land before - too much red tape.  I'd have to use my ATV to get around, and getting those permits are more hassle than it's worth.  When I was going to apply, I have to specify the dates, and if for some reason I couldn't hunt that day - too bad.  Like everyone else, other things do come up at the most inopportune times.  I've had to cancel hunts a few times this year, so far.  I'd have to re-apply every time my plans change.  Plus, there's so much controversy surrounding the use on ATV's on public land, which I understand because of the irresponsible hunters (and other so-called "nature" lovers) that use ATV's, I didn't feel like dealing with it.  I already have to deal with the narrow-minded folks because I use a crossbow during bow season.  I just decided to go "up to my neck" in debt, and bought my own property.

I hunted my own property for the entire firearm season, this year.  This was the first time I've been able to do so.  Remember what I said earlier about plans?  Even though I had a few interuptions, I hunted hard.  I'm so exhausted - and elated!  The weather was a real bummer, but I enjoyed being "out there" just the same....

Top Bottom