• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

No more G-11 whats going on ?

OPAH

You know it has been Kicked around here for Years that some areas needed to be closed for a couple of years.
Deer herds have been desimated and the invironment tramppled, At some point a responcible Land Management program has to close areas to heal.
I am just really curious as to why California closed D11 ? We know it wouod not be for the benefit of the Herds or invironment.

Last edited:

ltdann

Yep, the doe have been hammered for a number of years. They need some rebound time. As green as it is right now, I hope the fawn recruitment is good this year.

RUGAME

I think the hunting on base is going down hill fast, lions, coyotes and to many hunters if you can get on the base you pretty much can hunt out there and c-3 and c-6 have very little control. Now there will be an extra 200 A-zone tags hmmm maybe the number of hunters should be looked at

ltdann

Well, the number of hunters has been pretty average over the years. If you go to the Isportsman, they have stats that go back to 1966 or so. I believe the most hunters on record was over 600. The deer take has remained pretty constant as to numbers...what's changed is the ration of bucks and does taken. It's about 50/50 under the g-11 last year. Mo wants to give them a break. He can't control the coyotes and mountain lion take, so he took the G-11 out of the equation.
It is what it is.

slim_2181

I think this is a smart move it ll give the deer population a chance to recover from the past couple of years. I also feel us dedicated hunters that have been hunting on base should get up there and do as much coyote hunting as we can to help lower the coyote population. We cant do anything as far as the lions are concerned. I suggested doing a draw for a special predator hunt so that we could hunt at night but that got shot down.

RUGAME

It was my understanding from last years meeting that they were considering closing the area that had the highest kill is this true or false

OPAH

I think it has got to be considered to be to much of a hassle / liability for the Base, at least that is what I heard from a reliable source.

ltdann

It was my understanding from last years meeting that they were considering closing the area that had the highest kill is this true or false
They've done this in the past, but not something they've announced for the 2019 season.

There's always been quota's on zones and the game warden can shut an area down if he feels that an area has a high number of deer being taken out. C-3 has been shut down numerous times because of that, so has C-1. In 2018, C-5 had the most deer taken with 35...that's a lot for that sliver of land. Next was B-4 with 34 taken and that's reasonable considering it's size. Then surprisingly, C-4 had 18 and most of that is closed to hunting.

Top Bottom