No one is talking about VP's pheasant hunting

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
No one talking about vice president's visit

By Amanda Alexander, American News Writer

It seemed like a simple assignment: How many pheasants did Vice President Dick Cheney bag on his first day of hunting in South Dakota?

It turned out not to be so simple. No one was talking,

not even about pheasants.

Having the vice president hunting in the Gettysburg area is big news in this part of the nation. But finding out any information about his visit was a daunting task.

First, contacts in Gettysburg were called to see if they had spotted the vice president trudging through the grass, but they weren't talking. They wanted to protect “the next in the chain of command.”

Then I tried the Potter County sheriff's office to find out about how his visit impacted local law enforcement. But they, too, were silent. They referred me to a vice presidential spokeswoman in Washington D.C.

So I called Washington.

The spokeswoman asked for my name, title and what paper I worked for. Then she said she'd call me right back.

Seconds later the phone rang. She needed to verify the information I had just given her, then said she'd call back again.

Finally, on that third call, she said she was ready to answer questions. I was excited; I thought my hard work and persistence were going to pay off!

Wrong.

She was not able to confirm if the vice president had gotten any pheasants.

She did, however, say that Cheney arrived in South Dakota on Sunday afternoon, which we had already reported, but any other details would be sketchy, due to security reasons.

The spokeswoman did say Cheney is still conducting regular meetings through teleconferencing and video-teleconferencing. Lesson learned: Simple assignments aren't always so simple.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Sounds like a run around. Maybe he shot over his limit (LOL).Hush HUsh

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Hunters who heard that Cheney went pheasant hunting feel proud.

That in its self is probably enough information. I hope he had a good time and got to watch a good dog work and maybe got a few shots. If the news media got anymore info than that, they would say bad things about it. If he didn’t get any birds, he would be an ineffective hunter and if he bagged some he would be a bird killer. I think Cheney's people are handling it just right. I think Bush dove hunts and Cheney pheasant hunts. That is great news for hunters regardless of the details.

tinner

Reaction score
Varmit Al do you really think that a vice president wouldn't have the best of of the secret servive out scouting for him at least two weeks in advance. he should have limited in fifteen minutes if he can shoot straight. but then again he's not havig much luck with finding o-come-on-me-i've-bin-slobbin either. anyways it is good to hear that the top of the top in this country do hunt. hope they enjoyed and got a few

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Hi Tinner. I have the utmost respect for Dick Cheney. When he answers questions, for the media, he doesn’t beat around the bush (no pun intended) and doesn’t duck (still no pun intended) any questions. I think Cheney was more interested in getting away from Washington DC than going pheasant hunting. He probably just enjoyed being out in the field and away from the media vultures trying to rip him apart.

Wouldn’t it be horrible having the Secret Service all around you constantly? That must be somewhat like being in prison.

tinner

Reaction score
varmint al i respect the hunter but not everything that him and the pres stand for but mostly it was all a bit of a joke aimed at a political figure

Top Bottom