No turkey for me this year

Reaction score
My huntin buddy took me out to his favorite hunting spot again this past Saturday.  We tip-toed into the woods at about 5:30 AM and a little while later there were gobbles all around us.  It seemed as though every tom turkey that hit the ground went the other way.  I sat there for over an hour while Larry made little clucks and yelps and almost every time a turkey would either yelp back or gobble.  It was really great.  After an hour passed I was freezing to death!  There was nothing I could do to keep warm.  Larry and I discussed the situation and I decided to go back to the truck to bundle up in my sleeping bag and listen to the radio.  Larry moved to a new location further from the truck and I slowly sneaked back to some warmth.

I fell asleep in the comfortable warmth of my down sleeping bag in the front seat of the truck.  At about 9:30 AM I was shocked awake by the loudest explosion I think I've ever heard.  What happened was Larry had slowly moved to a location near the truck and set up on a gobbler that had been flirting with him for over an hour.  Larry says that he simply sat down and leaned against the rear bumper of the truck and the gobbler strutted down the dirt road directly behind the truck.  When he shot I just about had a stroke or something.  Man, what a shock!

I think the turkey weighed 19 lb. and some ounces.  The season is over now and I got to go out twice and loved both times.  Except for the fact that I did not dress for the cold temperatures.

I may be going to Japan for 12 to 18 mo. with my job.  Does anyone know if there is any hunting over there?  How about target shooting?

Lankyman

Reaction score
Wish you the best of luck across the pond in Japan.  I don't have any idea about hunting or shooting over there.  It would be my guess that they are very stricked about things like that.  Glad you had a good season.  Hopefully, you can get yours next year.  Good Luck & stay warm.  LOL!!!

killinturks

Reaction score
hi Linda, i dont know about japan but i spent a year in kore and che ju do island is supposed to be excellent pheasant hunting. i did not go but some friends did. korea is just a short plane ride from japan. it may not be a bad deal if you can catch a military hop.

woodsman

Reaction score
Welcome to JHP Linda Sharpshooter .
Thats part of it ,I'v gon two years with no turkeys and after Saturday it will be "three":cry-blue: I look at it this way the one I could have shot will be bigger next year .HEHE:smile-big-blue:I'v fallen asleep turkey hunting ,It happens. "China"

(Edited by woodsman at 9:12 pm on May 21, 2002)

Lankyman

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from woodsman on 6:06 pm on May 21, 2002
"I'v fallen asleep turkey hunting ,It happens."
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Joe,

LOL!, don't knock the sleeping thang too much.  I have taken some good naps in a few SC swamp bottoms & wokeup just in time to pop a cap on some nice long beards.  Just make sure that you actually lay flat on the ground & get comfortable.  I have 20+ years experience at it.  I learned at an early age that getting comfortable is a good key to waiting out some of those hard to call long beards.  Get into a spot that he wants to pass through & wait him out.  Have a good one.  Good Luck & Hunt Safe & Go get that 1st long beard.

(Edited by Lankyman at 7:27 pm on May 21, 2002)

woodsman

Reaction score
I wonder if its the snoring that brings them in ?
when I fall asleep deer hunting I see more deer, not yet with turkey.
I need to make a snore call .:sleep:

Tominator

Reaction score
I would have woke you up and let you kill him when I realized he was gonna be that close to the truck, but you hang out with whoever you want too *LOL*. As for Japan, I wouldn't count on any shooting while I was there, I remember the Olympic biathlon teams catching heck over their weapons. They had to confiscated when not in use and the number of rounds issued and returned were scrutinized severely, they had to account for each missing round.
Tominator

killinturks

Reaction score
yep, dont beat on the sleepers. lots of times them birds fly down, go do their thing and come back later. and if you are still there waiting,??? i used to read books while deer hunting too, but one day i looked up and my uncle was right under me so i gave them up.

Top Bottom