Non-typical Homebrew

tdixon

Reaction score
WILL THIS WORK LIKE THE TINHORN TIMER? HOW DO I INSTALL IT?

Possum

Reaction score
Richard, is this for turning on the Cam at specific intervals such as night only, day only, or any specific time you choose?  Or is this a camera timer?  I'm guessing you are using this to circumvent the "hot" times of the day?

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hello tdixon & Possum,  This timer is for time intervals only. I have one cam setup with a thermostat, and the other with a night only light sensor. The next one will have a time interval timer, so that I can point the cam directly into the afternoon sun while not missing the late morning shots. Also, up at the reservoir we have a lot of weekend hikers, and this 7 day timer can be programmed to only work Monday through Friday.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Richard,
Wow, I must be reading critterhunters mind!  This is almost exactly what I've been working on the last few days.  Only difference is I got the timer from Rat Shack.  Still trying to work out some low-power interfacing for the 1.5V timer circuit and my 5V system - any ideas??  I wanted to get it all working properly together before posting schematics and such.

Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Arch - My ideas for voltage dividers aren't much help because they run down the battery fast. That's why I'm using double relays in my light sensor. Does your RS Timer have a relay or little electric motor mechanism like the Home Depot Timer? The only reason I'm willing to go $29 is because of the mechanized switch that wont run down the battery. The little LCD Screen will be Okay out here in Sunny California, but I have my doubts about Eastern winters?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Richard,
The timer #61-1060 that I got from RS has a power relay (48VDC coil) that switches the 120VAC on and off.  The 1.5VDC output from the timer circuit drives the relay through a pair of transistors.  It's not the most efficient setup.  What I tried was removing the 48 volt relay and all the transistors and just driving the gate of an N- MOSFET with the timers 1.5V output.  Suprisingly - It works!  I didn't think it would because the switching threshold of the MOSFET was listed as 2.5 volts. I guess since it's only switching at logic levels the threshold is lower.  Since the gate of the N-MOSFET draws almost no current, this should be a nice, low-power solution.
>>
I just checked the instructions - and indeed it says "for indoor use only- "might not operate in extremely high or low temps"  Specs say operating temp is +32 to +120 F  Wonder what they mean by "extreme"  I'll toss the thing in the freezer and see what it does.  Any info on the temp rating of these other units??

Archilochus

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Archilochus - I read through the paper work, but they didn't mention anything about temperature.  The timer was designed for indoor use, so I plan to put it inside the enclosure. What is amazing is all you have to do is break the shutter connection while in series with the Black wire and Blue wire. Nothing has to be modified, and the single AA Battery will last for up to 3 years. Here in California the Monday through Friday feature will be the ticket, because of our population explosion of weekend hikers.

After getting a bushel basked full of false triggers this summer, I plan to block out the mid-day heat waves with this timer. Will probably start the cam at 9 PM, and continue through the night until late morning hours.  The light sensors that I made up are not flexible, and operate Dusk to Dawn missing the late morning migration.

How is your Radio Shack Timer working out?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom