normal shot distance?

sdsnowbound

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm shooting a recurve w/o a sight. I participated in the King Arthurs tounament in San diego today and was pretty blown away by how far the shots were- a lot of them were in the 35 yard to 55 yard range with a few at 60 and 1 at 70 yards. Is that a normal shooting distance for traditional archery tournaments/competitions? I just started shooting last year and I'd like to become good enough to shoot respectably in competitions and eventually do some bow hunting. I usually practice at 15- 20 yards and sometimes go back to 30 yards. What distance do you normally shoot? What distances are normal at club shoots etc? Thanks for your advice.
Bruce

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I recently took up a longbow and have been shooting it steadily for the last 2 1/2 months. I only shoot at 20 and 30 yards with it and our little 3D shoot is set up so that the trad guys shoot at no more than 30 yards to compete with the compound guys.

I would like to shoot longer yardages, but I think another year at thirty will be needed to perfect my form and release before I can consider moving back.

Orygun

Reaction score
Normal for you is where you can place an arrow consistently. For hunting purposes that may be a lot closer than field targets. Some here can drop an arrow in from a far piece and others (me) need to be much closer.

For tournaments, longer distances separate the accurate from the really accurate. Nothing wrong with that.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Those longer ranges are normal for competition and tourney shooting. I believe the Olympics even has a 100 meter target.

I don't shoot competition, but I do enjoy just shooting crazy distances with my recurve out in the field, shooting pine cones, sticks, and other inanimate objects.

Shooting targets at long range with a trad bow is a hoot, both because you have so much time to watch the arrow arc, and because it's just fun to see how accurate you can be. It's also excellent practice for the close range (< 25 yards) shooting you'll be doing when you hunt.

rwlittle

Reaction score
whatever distance you can shoot a pie plate.

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
...............nice screen name................:confused-yellow: :eek:n fire mad: :thumbs-down: :shake-head-blue:

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I believe that King Arthurs Tourney is by a whole different type of archer than those that hunt with trad gear.

Meaning, in my opinion they are interested in pointing the tip to the sky and see how far she goes.

The other 3d tourneys I have seen had had trad stakes that were usually closer than compound, and the compound stakes were no where near 70yds. That is silly long for instinctive shooting. Gap shooters and the Field tourney guys do it all the time, but is kinda silly in my mind for instinctive guys.

I consider anything more than a few yards past point on distance to be a "long ways" shooting instinctive trad. For me it is much more fun, and instructional to shoot harder "short" shots.

Reaction score
When I hunt with my recurve I'm looking for anything under 35-40 yards.

Once there I'm good to go.

M

Bender

Reaction score
60, 65 yards? Maybe not for hunting. But when going to a mixed shoot often compounds will shoot from the Adult stakes and Trad shooters will shoot from the Youth stakes. I always shoot my longbow from the Grown Up's stakes.

Backtalk

Reaction score
60, 65 yards? Maybe not for hunting. But when going to a mixed shoot often compounds will shoot from the Adult stakes and Trad shooters will shoot from the Youth stakes. I always shoot my longbow from the Grown Up's stakes.
I agree with your thinking. I can hit a pie plate at 80 yards about every time with my long bow, however my understanding of the question was distance for hunting.:archer green:

huntwa

Reaction score
20 yards is perfect

Sent from my Win7 using Board Express

Nom de Guerre

Reaction score
Our club has regular field and hunter matches with distances out to 80 yards. A lot of guys, myself included, shoot the matches with trad bows (although I also shoot them with my compound on occasion). At my club, the majority of trad shooters I shoot with have long bows. Shooting at a variety of distances, including really long shots for matches can be a lot of fun, and I think it only helps you to be a more well rounded archer.

I can't imagine anyone choosing to hunt at ranges like that, but a lot of guys can and do hunt out to 30 or 40 with trad gear. There are a couple of guys who are regulars at my club who are freakishly accurate with their long bows. Sadly, I'm not one of them... yet. ;)

Top Bottom